    does not pick up any wireless networks in range even though both computers
    are right next to the router. It is a linksys wireless-g router. Any help
    would be appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IGZhbg==?=, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Hi
    In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
    these steps.
    Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
    Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
    is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
    Step Two. Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify.
    If the above two Steps indicates that every thing looks good but
    functionally it does not work.
    Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
    or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 11, 2006

  3. Jack -

    I tried what you suggested and am still not picking up the wireless network.
    Here is what is shows.

    No wireless networks were found in range

    As I stated before my other laptop picks up the network with no problems.

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IGZhbg==?=, Sep 12, 2006
  4. If you can't even see the network, then you have a driver/software or a
    hardware problem. You need to be able to see the network to have a chance of
    connecting. Is the card turn on? Do you have the drivers for the card.so
    that you can reinstall them? In device manager, is there any error codes for
    the card?

    David Hettel
    MVP Mobile Devices

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 12, 2006
  5. There are no error codes in device manager. The laptop came with built-in
    wireless so no card was installed. I am assuming that the drivers are
    already there? Should I uninstall the drivers?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IGZhbg==?=, Sep 12, 2006
  6. Hi
    You can not assume that because the Laptop is new every thing is configured
    correctly.
    If it does not work something is wrong.
    Assuming that you checked the Network settings as described in my previous
    post.
    May be this can furhther Help.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 12, 2006