    itself up.

    PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
    equipment is working fine.

    F&C, Jan 6, 2007

  2. F&C

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:52:13 +1000, F&C <> wrote:

    >I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
    >over a cable, the other wireless).
    >
    >But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
    >wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
    >
    >I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
    >
    >When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
    >perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
    >itself up.
    >
    >PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
    >equipment is working fine.

    You specified no details about the laptop or the router, so we can
    only guess...

    Are the protocols on the router the same as on the laptop
    (802.11a.b/g/n)?

    Is the router set to "Disable SSID broadcast"?

    If neither of these help, details would help - make / model of router,
    make / model of laptop, etc.

    Evan Platt, Jan 6, 2007

  3. F&C

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:52:13 +1000, F&C Has Frothed:

    > I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
    > over a cable, the other wireless).
    >
    > But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
    > wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
    >
    > I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
    >
    > When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
    > perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
    > itself up.
    >
    > PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
    > equipment is working fine.

    Set up the SSID in both the router and laptop. Usually the router
    broadcasts SSID by default but they may have been disabling that in newer
    equipment for obvious reasons.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jan 6, 2007
  4. F&C

    Just Me Guest

    I once had that problem. The quickest thing to do is call the company
    (probably in India) and get some help. You could save 4 hours doing that.

    Just Me, Jan 6, 2007
  5. F&C

    Fred Guest

    "F&C" <> wrote in message
    >I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one over a
    >cable, the other wireless).
    >
    > But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
    > wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
    >
    > I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
    >
    > When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
    > perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
    > itself up.
    >
    > PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
    > equipment is working fine.

    Is new router password protected to stop any unwanted wireless users?

    Fred, Jan 6, 2007
  6. F&C

    Senti Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "F&C" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one over a
    >> cable, the other wireless).
    >>
    >> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
    >> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
    >>
    >> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
    >>
    >> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
    >> perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
    >> itself up.
    >>
    >> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
    >> equipment is working fine.

    > Is new router password protected to stop any unwanted wireless users?

    If it was just password protected, the network would still be broadcast
    so the laptop should still be able to see it. It would just be asked
    for the password when it tried to join it.

    Senti, Jan 6, 2007
  7. F&C

    Senti Guest

    F&C wrote:
    > I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
    > over a cable, the other wireless).
    >
    > But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
    > wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
    >
    > I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
    >
    > When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
    > perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
    > itself up.
    >
    > PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
    > equipment is working fine.

    Since Evan and Meat covered the general stuff, I'll jump to incredibly
    specific:

    If you're laptop is an Intel-based Mac (Macbook or Macbook Pro) and your
    router is a LinkSys WRT54GS, then the issue may be caused by a recent
    LinkSys firmware update. In which case you have to revert to the older
    firmware.

    :p

    Senti, Jan 6, 2007
  8. F&C

    Fred Guest

    "Senti" <> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >> "F&C" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
    >>> over a cable, the other wireless).
    >>>
    >>> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
    >>> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
    >>>
    >>> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
    >>>
    >>> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
    >>> perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
    >>> itself up.
    >>>
    >>> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
    >>> equipment is working fine.

    >> Is new router password protected to stop any unwanted wireless users?

    > If it was just password protected, the network would still be broadcast so
    > the laptop should still be able to see it. It would just be asked for the
    > password when it tried to join it.

    Of course - sorry, must have been dreaming.

    Fred, Jan 6, 2007
  9. F&C

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    F&C wrote:
    > I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
    > over a cable, the other wireless).
    >
    > But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
    > wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
    >
    > I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
    >
    > When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
    > perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
    > itself up.
    >
    > PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
    > equipment is working fine.

    I suggest you post to alt.internet.wireless, where you can also get help.

    Mr. Arnold, Jan 6, 2007
  10. F&C

    F&C Guest

    ok it is fixed now, thanks all

    F&C, Jan 6, 2007
  11. F&C

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    You forgot to ask about the OS, you ****.

    --
    You whiney mouthful of stinking ape puke.

    John Holmes, Jan 6, 2007
  12. F&C

    rjdriver Guest

    "F&C" <> wrote in message

    > ok it is fixed now, thanks all

    What did it turnout to be?

    Bob

    rjdriver, Jan 6, 2007
  13. F&C

    John Holmes Guest

    Fred "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Senti" <> wrote in message
    >> Fred wrote:
    >>> "F&C" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is new router password protected to stop any unwanted wireless
    >>> users?

    >> If it was just password protected, the network would still be
    >> broadcast so the laptop should still be able to see it. It would
    >> just be asked for the password when it tried to join it.

    > Of course - sorry, must have been dreaming.

    Keep on dreaming, you idiot.

    --
    You unholy collection of fungus-covered garbage.

    John Holmes, Jan 6, 2007
  14. F&C

    Clogwog Guest

    Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold wrote:
    > F&C wrote:
    >> I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
    >> over a cable, the other wireless).
    >>
    >> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
    >> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
    >>
    >> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
    >>
    >> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it
    >> worked perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the
    >> router and set itself up.
    >>
    >> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
    >> equipment is working fine.

    > I suggest you post to alt.internet.wireless, where you can also get
    > help.

    Real meaning: I don't have a fucking clue and I'm too stupid to help you ;-)

    Clogwog, Jan 6, 2007
  15. F&C

    F&C Guest

    >> ok it is fixed now, thanks all
    >

    > What did it turnout to be?

    Switch on the back of the laptop to turn on the internal wireless card.

    F&C, Jan 7, 2007