Wireless network not appearing in "My Network Places"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TGFuZU5lbQ==?=, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!

    Hi there.

    There is no icon entitled "Wireless Network" (or anything similar) in "My
    Network Places." I downloaded and installed new drivers for my brand new
    router (Dlink DI-624) as recommended by
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242/EN-US/ with no luck.

    The router is transmitting data to the Dlink USB adapter (TiVo is receiveing
    programming updates via this USB adapter), but there is no icon. Further, my
    networked device (TiVo) can't find the IP address of the ethernet/router
    computer.

    I'm using a comcast cable modem. The tcp/ip of that connection ("IEEE
    something or other") is configured to "obtain ip address" automatically and
    (as far as I know) I turned off all firewall and security functionality. I
    have SP2.

    I'm trying to: 1) get the ethernet/router computer recognize that it is
    serving as a network by getting a "Wireless Network" icon to show up in the
    "Network Places" and 2) get my device to find the network (even though its
    already receiving data . . . ).

    Thank you.
    =?Utf-8?B?TGFuZU5lbQ==?=, Dec 16, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGFuZU5lbQ==?=

    Dave Guest

    there should not be a wireless network icon in my network places. that part
    of the explorer should show other computers near you, and mapped shares that
    you have visited or added manually. the wireless network should show up
    under network connections from the control panel.

    after that your message becomes gibberish. is the router the computer or a
    dlink box? where is the usb adapter and how does that relate to the dlink
    router? by sp2 i assume you mean windows xp sp2. how do you know the
    router is sending data to the usb adapter, and how does that relate to
    tivo?? isn't tivo a separate box that records tv off digital cable?? why is
    that part of the network?? what is the ieee something or other? and how
    does it relate to this problem? and what is the problem? if everything is
    getting data what else do you want?

    Dave, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Apologies for the confusion Dave.

    OS = WinXP Pro with SP2 (with "SP2" standing for "Service Pack 2").

    Start - ctrl panel - network connections - does not show any wireless network.

    I am using a D-Link router (DI-624, with the most recently updated drivers
    as recommended by KB Art. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242/EN-US/ ).

    In conjunction with this router I am using D-Link wireless adapter. The www
    comes through my comcast cable modem, to the D-Link router, to my computer
    via ethernet cable. The router is transmits data wirelessly to the USB
    adapter. This is the DWL-122 Wireless USB Adapter. This adapter is plugged
    into the back of my TiVo. TiVo requires regular data updates. The TiVo
    required data may be transmitted via a wireless (or wired) www connection, or
    via phone line. Essentially, my TiVo box is similar to a laptop connected to
    the www by my wireless network.

    The tivo is receiving data (I know b/c I can see the TiVo log of data
    updates. In addition, if the unit does not recevieve data/programming
    updates, one may not record shows properly -- in any event, the USB adapter
    is receiving transmitted www data.)

    Here's the problem: XP has established no wireless network related to this
    data transfer. All firewall related functionality has been disabled.

    How can I get XP to recognize, or create a wireless network? Absent a
    recognition by my ethernet connected XP computer that it is transmitting data
    via a wireless network, its utility is greatly decreased.

    Start - Ctrl Panel - Network Connections - the only active connection is
    called "Local Area Connection" (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection). If
    I right click on that, click on the "General" tab, double click the TCP/IP
    icon, it lists the TCP/IP properites. Under the "General" tab of the TCP/IP
    properties, the "Obtain an IP address automatically" is highlighted. A
    little below that, "Obtain DNS server address automattically" option is also
    highlighted.

    Also, under the properties of the "Local Area Connection" (Intel(R) PRO/100
    VE Network Connection) - Authentication tab, the "Enable IEEE 802.1x
    authentication for this network" field is checked. Immediately below that,
    "The [selected] EAP type" value is: "Smart Card or other Certificiate."

    Thanks again for the assistance.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFuZU5lbQ==?=, Dec 18, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TGFuZU5lbQ==?=

    Steve Guest

    You will not get Wireless Network icon because you are not using Wireless
    Network Card in the computer
    to get a Wireless Network icon In XP you must connect with Wireless Card you
    are using ethernet to connect with router

    Steve

    Steve, Dec 18, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TGFuZU5lbQ==?=

    Dave Guest

    "LaneNem" <> wrote in message
    > Apologies for the confusion Dave.
    >
    > OS = WinXP Pro with SP2 (with "SP2" standing for "Service Pack 2").
    >
    > Start - ctrl panel - network connections - does not show any wireless

    network.

    > I am using a D-Link router (DI-624, with the most recently updated drivers
    > as recommended by KB Art. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242/EN-US/ ).
    >
    > In conjunction with this router I am using D-Link wireless adapter. The

    www
    > comes through my comcast cable modem, to the D-Link router, to my computer
    > via ethernet cable. The router is transmits data wirelessly to the USB
    > adapter. This is the DWL-122 Wireless USB Adapter. This adapter is

    plugged
    > into the back of my TiVo. TiVo requires regular data updates. The TiVo
    > required data may be transmitted via a wireless (or wired) www connection,

    or
    > via phone line. Essentially, my TiVo box is similar to a laptop connected

    > the www by my wireless network.
    >
    > The tivo is receiving data (I know b/c I can see the TiVo log of data
    > updates. In addition, if the unit does not recevieve data/programming
    > updates, one may not record shows properly -- in any event, the USB

    adapter
    > is receiving transmitted www data.)

    does the log specify that it is getting them via the wireless adapter? or
    does it also have a phone line to fall back on?

    > Here's the problem: XP has established no wireless network related to this
    > data transfer. All firewall related functionality has been disabled.

    do you have 2 wireless usb adapters? you say you have one plugged in to the
    tivo box, how would the desktop that is plugged in to the router by cable
    know about the tivo wireless except to see it as a computer that is 'out
    there' somewhere. if the tivo box is the only wireless connection to the
    router then you would have to ask the router how it is connected not the
    computer, all the computer would know is that there was another box out
    there that it could ping, it would have no way of knowing that it is a
    wireless connection... it could just as well be on another cable plugged in
    to the router.

    Dave, Dec 18, 2004