    managed to set up the network by myself I am by no means a computer expert.
    We can connect wired through the router, but my wireless network has
    apparently disappeared. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.
    Margo, Dec 14, 2007

  2. Margo

    Barb Bowman Guest

    If you login to the router with a wired connection, you can check
    the status of the wireless.

    Frankly, that router does not provide you with proper security as it
    only supports WEP (not to mention it is b only). For security
    reasons alone, you should consider replacing it with a modern router
    that supports WPA2. If you have older computers with older operating
    systems and wireless network cards that don't support WPA, consider
    the risks - data theft, identity theft, etc.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Dec 14, 2007

  3. Margo

    Margo Guest

    Re: wireless network no longer listed under "available wireless ne

    How do i login to the router to check the status?

    Margo, Dec 14, 2007
  4. Margo

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: wireless network no longer listed under "available wireless ne

    open a web browser
    got to http://192.168.2.1

    the default password is

    admin

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:32:10 -0800, Margo
    <> wrote:

    >How do i login to the router to check the status?
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> If you login to the router with a wired connection, you can check
    >> the status of the wireless.
    >>
    >> Frankly, that router does not provide you with proper security as it
    >> only supports WEP (not to mention it is b only). For security
    >> reasons alone, you should consider replacing it with a modern router
    >> that supports WPA2. If you have older computers with older operating
    >> systems and wireless network cards that don't support WPA, consider
    >> the risks - data theft, identity theft, etc.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:50:00 -0800, Margo
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Have an MN-500 router with cable modem connection. Wireless connectivity has
    >> >been up and running successfully for months. Came home last night during a
    >> >snowstorm - apparently we had lost power momentarily while I was gone as the
    >> >clocks were flashing. Turned on my laptop (from which I connect to the
    >> >internet wirelessly) and discovered that my own wireless network was no
    >> >longer listed under available wireless networks. Then noticed on the router
    >> >that all lights were lit on the router except for the 4 ports. I unplugged
    >> >and replugged. Then I reset with a paperclip. Still not showing itself.
    >> >Now I don't know what to do; not even sure where the problem lies. Though I
    >> >managed to set up the network by myself I am by no means a computer expert.
    >> >We can connect wired through the router, but my wireless network has
    >> >apparently disappeared. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman