    So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    tampering with it

    IDEAS please
    Homeworker, Jan 17, 2008

  2. Homeworker

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:59:35 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    wrote:

    >i am moving very soon to a new house
    >
    >ON A HILL
    >
    >likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    >strays from my wirless signal
    >
    >So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    >tampering with it
    >
    >IDEAS please

    "NAMBLA WiFi"

    Seriously - configure your WiFi properly, and it won't matter.

    WPA-SK
    Non-Broadcasting WEP
    MAC based filtering.
    No DHCP.

    What else am I missing...
    Evan Platt, Jan 17, 2008

  3. Homeworker

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-01-17, Homeworker <> wrote:

    > i am moving very soon to a new house
    >
    > ON A HILL
    >
    > likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    > strays from my wirless signal
    >
    > So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    > tampering with it
    >
    > IDEAS please

    Set it to not broadcast the SSID and it won't matter what you call it;
    no-one will see the name anyway.

    But that won't stop people from using it; for that you need actual
    security, which you can achieve by following the instructions that go with
    the router. You can also make use of shielding and directional reflectors
    to limit the area covered by your broadcast - aluminium foil reflects a wifi
    signal, and a wooden side-board full of the best china will stop it dead
    in its tracks.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 17, 2008
  4. Homeworker

    John Holmes Guest

    Homeworker "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > i am moving very soon to a new house
    >
    > ON A HILL
    >
    > likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    > strays from my wirless signal
    >
    > So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    > tampering with it
    >
    > IDEAS please

    You can call it anything you'd like but people will still be trying to
    tamper with it, even when you call it FBI Secret Access Point. Face it.
    First steps to wireless security is to disable SSID broadcast, use strong
    encryption, and, like Mike Easter mentioned, use MAC address filtering.

    --
    Your mother was a strange buffoon who splashed about in the puddle of
    decadence in caves.
    John Holmes, Jan 17, 2008
  5. Homeworker

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:59:35 GMT, "Homeworker" <> wrote:

    >i am moving very soon to a new house
    >
    >ON A HILL
    >
    >likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    >strays from my wirless signal
    >
    >So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    >tampering with it
    >
    >IDEAS please

    Names won't scare people off. Just secure your network with WPA or WPA2.

    You can't even see my wireless.

    --
    <rw-rw-rw-> I don't care if it can reproduce sound well enough for
    dolphins to talk to each other through it, if you can't grep it it's
    Mara, Jan 18, 2008
  6. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    thanks for all the advice

    i was only asking for name suggestions that might scare people
    of tampering but how about some FUN names them ?

    Incidently i was unaware network could be made invisable
    ??

    ?

    if the networks made invsiable how on earth do you
    ttach units to the network ?

    Homeworker, Jan 18, 2008
  7. Homeworker

    old man Guest

    When my connection had a problem I was most grateful to my neighbours who
    had unpprotected wifi - 6 of them, all on BT :)
    I had warned 2 of them 6 months ago

    old man, Jan 18, 2008
  8. Homeworker

    Fred Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message
    > When my connection had a problem I was most grateful to my neighbours who
    > had unpprotected wifi - 6 of them, all on BT :)
    > I had warned 2 of them 6 months ago

    Why did you wait until you had a problem?

    Fred, Jan 18, 2008
  9. Homeworker

    ToyalP2 Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:05:11 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:59:35 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>i am moving very soon to a new house
    >>
    >>ON A HILL
    >>
    >>likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    >>strays from my wirless signal
    >>
    >>So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    >>tampering with it
    >>
    >>IDEAS please

    >"NAMBLA WiFi"
    >
    >Seriously - configure your WiFi properly, and it won't matter.
    >
    >WPA-SK
    >Non-Broadcasting WEP
    >MAC based filtering.
    >No DHCP.
    >
    >What else am I missing...

    Call it Al-jazira TV network
    ToyalP2, Jan 18, 2008
  10. Homeworker

    John Holmes Guest

    Homeworker "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > if the networks made invsiable how on earth do you
    > ttach units to the network ?

    If you name it for example "whorehouse" and make it invisible, you just
    enter that name manually in the units you want to attach.
    ;-)

    --
    Your mother was an ignorant liar who always got into fights on the roof of
    her house.
    John Holmes, Jan 18, 2008
  11. Homeworker

    Rôgêr Guest

    Homeworker wrote:
    > i am moving very soon to a new house
    >
    > ON A HILL
    >
    > likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    > strays from my wirless signal
    >
    > So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    > tampering with it
    >
    > IDEAS please

    Some doofus in my neighborhood called his network "FBI-Secure".
    Rôgêr, Jan 18, 2008
  12. Homeworker

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-01-18, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > Homeworker wrote:
    >> i am moving very soon to a new house
    >>
    >> ON A HILL
    >>
    >> likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    >> strays from my wirless signal
    >>
    >> So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    >> tampering with it
    >>
    >> IDEAS please

    > Some doofus in my neighborhood called his network "FBI-Secure".

    Most of them around here seem to be called by the default set up in the
    factory. Which suggests they still have the default passwords too, of
    course. Only one other than mine has WPA security, the others are all WEP
    (and one of those had no security at all, but that didn't last long!).
    I'm the only one not broadcasting an SSID.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 18, 2008
  13. Homeworker

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 06:16:58 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Homeworker wrote:
    >> i am moving very soon to a new house
    >>
    >> ON A HILL
    >>
    >> likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    >> strays from my wirless signal
    >>
    >> So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    >> tampering with it
    >>
    >> IDEAS please

    >Some doofus in my neighborhood called his network "FBI-Secure".

    I assume it was unsecured?

    Mara, Jan 18, 2008
  14. Homeworker

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:19:41 GMT, "Homeworker" <> wrote:

    >thanks for all the advice
    >
    >i was only asking for name suggestions that might scare people
    >of tampering but how about some FUN names them ?
    >
    >Incidently i was unaware network could be made invisable
    >??
    >
    >?
    >
    >if the networks made invsiable how on earth do you
    >ttach units to the network ?

    Only *you* need to know the name of the network name and the key, but I'm using
    a wireless access point for the wireless, and not a router. Broadcasting is
    turned off on my access point, and it doesn't use DHCP. It runs through a router
    that does. If I want to add a wireless machine, I set up the machine with the
    wireless WPA name and key, and I'm in. *I* can't even see the wireless part of
    my network - but since I know the name and key, I don't need to.

    Mara, Jan 18, 2008
  15. Homeworker

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:05:11 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:59:35 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>i am moving very soon to a new house
    >>
    >>ON A HILL
    >>
    >>likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    >>strays from my wirless signal
    >>
    >>So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    >>tampering with it
    >>
    >>IDEAS please

    >"NAMBLA WiFi"
    >
    >Seriously - configure your WiFi properly, and it won't matter.
    >
    >WPA-SK
    >Non-Broadcasting WEP
    >MAC based filtering.
    >No DHCP.
    >
    >What else am I missing...

    Reduce transmitter power levels :)

    Me

    P.S the 2nd P in WPA-PSK
    why?, Jan 18, 2008
  16. Homeworker

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:07:24 +0000, why? wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:05:11 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:59:35 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>i am moving very soon to a new house
    >>>
    >>>ON A HILL
    >>>
    >>>likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    >>>strays from my wirless signal
    >>>
    >>>So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    >>>tampering with it
    >>>
    >>>IDEAS please

    >>"NAMBLA WiFi"
    >>
    >>Seriously - configure your WiFi properly, and it won't matter.
    >>
    >>WPA-SK
    >>Non-Broadcasting WEP
    >>MAC based filtering.
    >>No DHCP.
    >>
    >>What else am I missing...

    > Reduce transmitter power levels :)
    >
    > Me
    >
    > P.S the 2nd P in WPA-PSK

    My AP is in the basement. Covers the upper floor nicely but dies once you
    get 5 feet from the house outside.
    Meat Plow, Jan 18, 2008
  17. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    "I'm the only one not broadcasting an SSID."

    how would youknow there might be another hundred
    set to invisable :)

    Homeworker, Jan 18, 2008
  18. Homeworker

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:59:16 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    wrote:

    >"I'm the only one not broadcasting an SSID."
    >
    >how would youknow there might be another hundred
    >set to invisable :)

    I believe NetStumbler would see them, no?
    Evan Platt, Jan 18, 2008
  19. Homeworker

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-01-18, Homeworker <> wrote:
    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    >>> Some doofus in my neighborhood called his network "FBI-Secure".

    >> Most of them around here seem to be called by the default set up in the
    >> factory. Which suggests they still have the default passwords too, of
    >> course. Only one other than mine has WPA security, the others are all WEP
    >> (and one of those had no security at all, but that didn't last long!).
    >> I'm the only one not broadcasting an SSID.

    > "I'm the only one not broadcasting an SSID."
    >
    > how would youknow there might be another hundred
    > set to invisable :)

    The only way to have a wireless router or 'access point' not transmitting
    a signal that reveals its presence, is to turn it off. I freely admit
    that I don't know how many routers there might be around here that are
    switched off (I do know of one, it's over there on that shelf being a
    spare). Not working, is certainly the most secure setting.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 18, 2008
  20. "Homeworker" <> wrote in

    > i am moving very soon to a new house
    >
    > ON A HILL
    >
    > likely posibly 200-300 people will be able to pick up
    > strays from my wirless signal
    >
    > So what can i call it that will SCARE people off from
    > tampering with it
    >
    > IDEAS please

    Call it something very SCARY!
    That should work. You'll know if you
    hear people saying "Whoa, that dude is SCARY!"

    200-300 people may pick thier scary butts,
    but they won't pick your SCARY strays.

    They may just climb up that hill
    and hold you down and pick your nose...
    SCARED peoples can be MAD peoples,
    and they all can see you, up on that hill.

    Or, just use MAC address filtering -
    their MAC ain't listed, they ain't gettin' in.
    They'll just think they're the retarded ones,
    and go back to coloring books or eating Dorkitos,
    or something else. Maybe drugs.

    But they may sneak in when you're gone and put in
    their own MAC address. That would be SCARY indeed.

    --

    "At first, sex with robots might be considered geeky, but once
    you have a story like 'I had sex with a robot and it was great!'

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21271545/wid/11915829

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTV8Cl-8JMQ&NR=1
    Bucky Breeder, Jan 18, 2008