    past , or who tried to connect this AP?

    AP is acting as DHCP server also.Can anyone suggest suitable wireless
    network mgmt tool which can help me.

    Jayant patil, Apr 4, 2005

  2. You can usually access this info from the admin/config page of the wireless
    router. Look under the DHCP settings for the current IP's being used and the
    mac addy's being used by each.

    -Brian

    Brian McMullen, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Jayant patil

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    There are ways to know, but it might be complicated, expensive, and not necessarily
    working with all Hardware. Peeking into the Wireless Router’ DHCP list usually provides
    the current IP and MAC of the current users. However you can Not spend your days peeking
    every few minutes into the Router’s DHCP list.

    The common Approach to Wireless (unless you want to provide a free hot spot) is to
    secure the system and make it so that only computers with permission can log on.

    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Or and to isolate your main Network from the Wireless.

    Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Apr 4, 2005
  4. On 3 Apr 2005 23:45:27 -0700, (Jayant
    patil) wrote:

    >I recently installed wireless networking (802.11g) in my workplace.
    >
    >How can i come to know who is connected to my wireless AP at present?
    >Similarly can i come to know who( MAC address ) was connected to AP in
    >past , or who tried to connect this AP?

    Well, if your unspecified hardware supports SNMP, the list of
    connected MAC addresses is easily available. If not, there are ways
    of sniffing the LAN for new MAC addresses such as Ethereal.

    >AP is acting as DHCP server also.Can anyone suggest suitable wireless
    >network mgmt tool which can help me.

    Search Google for "Wireless Intrusion Detection". There are quite a
    few listed. If you just want something simple for Windoze, see:
    http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/
    I don't have a huge amount of experience with AirSnare, but it does
    seem to work. My main complaint is that it requires that a monitoring
    PC be turned on all the time. I prefer sending the collected data to
    a syslog server, and analyzing the results at my non-existent leisure.

    I'm not sure you would want "who tried to connect". When I do that, I
    get every passing wireless PDA, neighbor, war driver, and such. It
    also requires that the sniffing be done on the wireless side of the
    bridge. A connection attempt, with no success, will not show up with
    any packets on the wired LAN side. Basically, the MAC address
    sniffers only detect successful connections (those with correct
    WEP/WPA keys).

    --
    Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Jeff Liebermann, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Jayant patil

    myWIFIzone Guest

    You can block access using our free WIFI internet access blocker
    software - see http://www.myWIFIzone.com When you have blocking turned
    on, you get a message showing IP and MAC address of blocked computer.
    It doesn't log anything yet - maybe a later version.

    myWIFIzone, Apr 8, 2005