Wireless network keeps disconnecting

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmE=?=, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. On my Toshiba Satellite P25-S670 laptop, I set up a network called "HOME"
    using an ad-hoc connection to another computer in my home. I have an Atheros
    AR5001X wireless network adapter, and have Win XP Professional. Before
    installing SP2 yesterday it would intermittently work and not work (connect &
    disconnect, or show connection very low, sometimes excellent). Now when I
    click on the wireless icon it says "not connected", and under "view available
    wireless networks" it shows my network called "home" and another one called
    "default", an unsecured wireless network which is connected, but I don't know
    to what (we live 10 miles from the smallest town so there isn't any other
    network near us up here). It shows my Home network (computer-to-computer
    network) not connected. First, I can't find out how to get rid of the
    "default" network, and second, I can't see a way to connect to my Home
    network. It is set up for ad-hoc networks only, no check by automatically
    connect to non-preferred networks, the firewall is off for now until I figure
    this out. What seems strange is that in network connections, it shows my
    wireless connection as "Wireless network Connection 4", but if I click on
    "configure" beside the Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network, it shows that as
    "Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter #2". I only have one wireless
    network connection (or adapter), so where did the "4" come from? By the way,
    no resource conflicts shown, everything looks fine in device manager. The
    internet connection that is shared is Direcway satellite. Any ideas would be
    helpful. Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmE=?=, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Hi Laura

    Have you considered setting up a wireless router as this is more reliable
    than an ad hoc network? See
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx
    or further information on this topic. Also, are you sure there is not an
    access point nearby with the SSID "default"? You mention this is not the
    case, but the view available networks UI wouldn't show it as connected
    otherwise. At any rate, to remove it from your preferred list, on XP SP2:
    - open the view available networks UI
    - in Related Tasks, click Change the order of preferred networks
    - in Preferred networks list box, click on "default" and click Remove
    - click OK
    Once you've removed it from your preferred list, you should connect back to
    the ad hoc network.

    The "4" comes from the number of adapters that have been installed on the
    laptop, so it looks like your Atheros adapter is the fourth one to be
    installed on the laptop.

    Thanks
    Anton [MSFT]
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights

    Anton Krantz [MSFT], Dec 7, 2004