Wireless Network Kaboom with (all wireless G) Belkin f5d7632 router, f5d7000 pci card and ftd7050 us

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brooke Is Bubbling, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. Hi, bought this a last week and since then have had nothing but problems
    with it loosing connection.

    I hope that one of you good peeps will know the answer or at least point me
    at someone/where that can help

    Running Win XP Pro on main machine
    Running w2k pro on toshiba laptop

    Connection configured with WPA-PSK security

    For no apparent reason the network connection will drop between the laptop
    and router or the pc and router (only once or twice have both machines lost
    connectivity togetehr).

    The wireless utilites on both machines say that it can see the network, can
    identify the SSID and reports strong signal (there is only about 4 feet
    between them, but would like to put them further apart).

    When connectivity is lost then on the PC it reports finding network, network
    found but can't get an IP address and then loops around and around. The only
    resolution is to switch the Router off and on again..... or disable the PCI
    card and then enable it again.

    When the Laptop looses connectivity it can be either when you first switch
    it on, it loops between telling me that media is disconnected, media
    connected but the utilities can't get an IP address and then I get a message
    about media being disconnected again. Leaving the laptop alon and then
    switching router off and on again usually establishes link.

    Whilst in use then similar to what happens to the PC happens, working away
    great then boom, gone, in the case of the laptop though disabling card and
    enabling it again doesn't work, you have to power the router off and on
    again is needed to establish the link.

    Any more info is avail on request

    Brooke Is Bubbling, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Brooke Is Bubbling

    Scraggy Guest

    Brooke Is Bubbling wrote:
    > Hi, bought this a last week and since then have had nothing but
    > problems with it loosing connection.
    >
    > I hope that one of you good peeps will know the answer or at least
    > point me at someone/where that can help
    >
    > Running Win XP Pro on main machine
    > Running w2k pro on toshiba laptop
    >
    > Connection configured with WPA-PSK security
    >
    > For no apparent reason the network connection will drop between the
    > laptop and router or the pc and router (only once or twice have both
    > machines lost connectivity togetehr).
    >
    > The wireless utilites on both machines say that it can see the
    > network, can identify the SSID and reports strong signal (there is
    > only about 4 feet between them, but would like to put them further
    > apart).
    > When connectivity is lost then on the PC it reports finding network,
    > network found but can't get an IP address and then loops around and
    > around. The only resolution is to switch the Router off and on
    > again..... or disable the PCI card and then enable it again.
    >
    > When the Laptop looses connectivity it can be either when you first
    > switch it on, it loops between telling me that media is disconnected,
    > media connected but the utilities can't get an IP address and then I
    > get a message about media being disconnected again. Leaving the
    > laptop alon and then switching router off and on again usually
    > establishes link.
    > Whilst in use then similar to what happens to the PC happens, working
    > away great then boom, gone, in the case of the laptop though
    > disabling card and enabling it again doesn't work, you have to power
    > the router off and on again is needed to establish the link.
    >
    > Any more info is avail on request

    You have downloaded the latest drivers for the 7050 and 7000? Lease time is
    set at forever on router? Tried running it just at WEP to see if syptoms
    persist? Tried allocating fixed IP addresses to PC & Laptop?
    --
    My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
    Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman

    Scraggy, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Brooke Is Bubbling

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:40:41 -0000, Brooke Is Bubbling wrote:

    >Hi, bought this a last week and since then have had nothing but problems
    >with it loosing connection.
    >
    >I hope that one of you good peeps will know the answer or at least point me
    >at someone/where that can help
    >
    >Running Win XP Pro on main machine
    >Running w2k pro on toshiba laptop

    You don't say which SP level.

    >Connection configured with WPA-PSK security

    Does Windows 2000 do WPA-PSK? Unless you have an updated driver from the
    manufacturer it won't.

    It's very difficult to support WPA-PSK / WEP at the same time on the
    same AP. (at least 6 months ago, maybe it's better now, that was all
    Belkin kit as well)

    XP is okay with the MS bolt on for WPA-PSK
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...25-ce2b-47a4-abec-274845dc9e91&DisplayLang=en
    this is fine if all you have is XP PCs.

    You may need to upgrade router firmware / wireless nic drivers to
    support it.

    Wireless Rollup for XP, included in XP SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826942

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Cheers for the reply Scraggy

    The verson of drivers on Belkin are same version as came with CD with
    adapters
    DHCP was set to 30 mins, now set to forever
    and have now re-enabled WPA since I made changes to WPA (trying to keep
    things as before for comparison)
    Tried once to allocate fixed IP to laptop, machine went wibble with pencils
    up it's nose :>) havn't tried since

    I'll go through various flavour of what you mention below and see if I can
    get any commonality between them, may take a while as I leave them bed in
    before trying next thing.

    Once again cheers

    Brooke Is Bubbling, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Cheers for the reply Why?

    > You don't say which SP level.

    Both fully patched

    >>Connection configured with WPA-PSK security

    > Does Windows 2000 do WPA-PSK? Unless you have an updated driver from the
    > manufacturer it won't.

    That's what I thought and was going to use WEP until it was listed in the
    Belkin Utility, so tried it to see what happens and it seems to take care of
    this

    > You may need to upgrade router firmware / wireless nic drivers to
    > support it.

    No firmware/driver upgrades for these items, version on CD seems more up to
    date than on website (ones on website disables WPA on XP??, ones on CD
    enable again)

    Brooke Is Bubbling, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Brooke Is Bubbling

    Scraggy Guest

    Brooke Is Bubbling wrote:
    > Cheers for the reply Scraggy
    >
    > The verson of drivers on Belkin are same version as came with CD with
    > adapters
    > DHCP was set to 30 mins, now set to forever
    > and have now re-enabled WPA since I made changes to WPA (trying to
    > keep things as before for comparison)
    > Tried once to allocate fixed IP to laptop, machine went wibble with
    > pencils up it's nose :>) havn't tried since
    >
    > I'll go through various flavour of what you mention below and see if
    > I can get any commonality between them, may take a while as I leave
    > them bed in before trying next thing.
    >
    > Once again cheers
    >

    > "Scraggy" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> You have downloaded the latest drivers for the 7050 and 7000? Lease
    >> time is set at forever on router? Tried running it just at WEP to
    >> see if syptoms persist? Tried allocating fixed IP addresses to PC &
    >> Laptop? --
    >> My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
    >> Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman

    Ahaa. Problem lies with "pencils" use only ONE when dealing with WEP.
    Wibble.

    Scraggy, Feb 13, 2005