Wireless network issues

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TG9yaU0=?=, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. I recently bought a Linksys WFT54G wireless router and have connected it to
    my Vaio laptop. I was successful in setting up a wired network between my
    desktop & laptop (file sharing, printing, etc. work fine) and can access high
    speed internet when wired. Problem is with wireless. I am able to get on the
    internet through wireless but am unable to set up network through wireless.
    Both desktop & laptop running XP pro SP2. Desktop does not have any wireless
    devices (only WRT54G router). Isn't it possible to create network through
    wireless router/firewall? Do I use my existing network places (through wired
    network)? I'm very new at this!
     
    =?Utf-8?B?TG9yaU0=?=, Oct 18, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. You should have My Network Places on the Laptop Desktop. If not, use the
    network setup wizard on the laptop (Start/Settings/Network Connections, just
    the same as the wireless connection
    Call your Desktop computer something besides "Desktop" when corresponding to
    avoid confusion with the desktop screen. :)
    "LoriM" wrote:

    > I recently bought a Linksys WFT54G wireless router and have connected it to
    > my Vaio laptop. I was successful in setting up a wired network between my
    > desktop & laptop (file sharing, printing, etc. work fine) and can access high
    > speed internet when wired. Problem is with wireless. I am able to get on the
    > internet through wireless but am unable to set up network through wireless.
    > Both desktop & laptop running XP pro SP2. Desktop does not have any wireless
    > devices (only WRT54G router). Isn't it possible to create network through
    > wireless router/firewall? Do I use my existing network places (through wired
    > network)? I'm very new at this!
     
    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Oct 18, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. I do have My Network Places on my Vaio laptop where I can view the folders I
    have shared on my laptop & the folders I have shared on my HP Pavilion. When
    I connect with my wireless connection & select one of the shared folders from
    my HP computer, I am denied access. Is this a simple fix? The links work
    properly when I connect "wired".

    Thanks for your thoughts on referring to "desktop". I understand where
    confusion can take place ;~)

    "Hugh" wrote:

    > You should have My Network Places on the Laptop Desktop. If not, use the
    > network setup wizard on the laptop (Start/Settings/Network Connections, just
    > the same as the wireless connection
    > Call your Desktop computer something besides "Desktop" when corresponding to
    > avoid confusion with the desktop screen. :)
    > "LoriM" wrote:
    >
    > > I recently bought a Linksys WFT54G wireless router and have connected it to
    > > my Vaio laptop. I was successful in setting up a wired network between my
    > > desktop & laptop (file sharing, printing, etc. work fine) and can access high
    > > speed internet when wired. Problem is with wireless. I am able to get on the
    > > internet through wireless but am unable to set up network through wireless.
    > > Both desktop & laptop running XP pro SP2. Desktop does not have any wireless
    > > devices (only WRT54G router). Isn't it possible to create network through
    > > wireless router/firewall? Do I use my existing network places (through wired
    > > network)? I'm very new at this!
     
    =?Utf-8?B?TG9yaU0=?=, Oct 19, 2004
    #3
  4. The HP folders have to be designated as "shared". Right-click the appropriate
    folder in Explorer, select "Sharing and Security", then designate the
    appropriate level of sharing. Does the laptop show up in the router client's
    table? If you have firewall, such as XP's firewall, you may neded to adjust
    the settings.

    "LoriM" wrote:

    > I do have My Network Places on my Vaio laptop where I can view the folders I
    > have shared on my laptop & the folders I have shared on my HP Pavilion. When
    > I connect with my wireless connection & select one of the shared folders from
    > my HP computer, I am denied access. Is this a simple fix? The links work
    > properly when I connect "wired".
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts on referring to "desktop". I understand where
    > confusion can take place ;~)
    >
    > "Hugh" wrote:
    >
    > > You should have My Network Places on the Laptop Desktop. If not, use the
    > > network setup wizard on the laptop (Start/Settings/Network Connections, just
    > > the same as the wireless connection
    > > Call your Desktop computer something besides "Desktop" when corresponding to
    > > avoid confusion with the desktop screen. :)
    > > "LoriM" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I recently bought a Linksys WFT54G wireless router and have connected it to
    > > > my Vaio laptop. I was successful in setting up a wired network between my
    > > > desktop & laptop (file sharing, printing, etc. work fine) and can access high
    > > > speed internet when wired. Problem is with wireless. I am able to get on the
    > > > internet through wireless but am unable to set up network through wireless.
    > > > Both desktop & laptop running XP pro SP2. Desktop does not have any wireless
    > > > devices (only WRT54G router). Isn't it possible to create network through
    > > > wireless router/firewall? Do I use my existing network places (through wired
    > > > network)? I'm very new at this!
     
    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Oct 19, 2004
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

    SNMP Issues in Cisco Routers; Vulnerability Issues in TCP

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Apr 21, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    845
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
    Apr 21, 2004
  2. pcbutts1
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    643
    pcbutts1
    Jul 6, 2005
  3. pcbutts1
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    816
    pcbutts1
    Jul 6, 2005
  4. Howie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    587
    Howie
    Jul 6, 2005
  5. GJ
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    706
Loading...

Share This Page