    anything in control panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can
    anyone tell me how I will access this?

    Apologies for my ignorance, Thanks in advance - Den.
    Den, Oct 17, 2006

  2. Den

    Kenny Guest

    Look in Device Manager (Winkey+Pause/Break) under Network Adapters, it
    should show there.
    Also in Control Panel you should have Wireless Network Setup Wizard.
    Intel Centrino is the type of CPU, nothing to do with wireless adapter.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Den

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:10:33 +0100, Kenny Has Frothed:

    > Look in Device Manager (Winkey+Pause/Break) under Network Adapters, it
    > should show there.
    > Also in Control Panel you should have Wireless Network Setup Wizard. Intel
    > Centrino is the type of CPU, nothing to do with wireless adapter.

    Centrino is the CPU, Chipset and Wireless platform not just the CPU which
    is usually a Moblie -M processor.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Oct 17, 2006
  4. Den

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 05:35:15 -0700, Den Has Frothed:

    > Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless router
    > for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my laptop. I
    > was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with wi-fi with
    > something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see anything in control
    > panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can anyone tell me how I will
    > access this?
    >
    > Apologies for my ignorance, Thanks in advance - Den.

    Look around for Wireless Configuration. You'll need to enter the SSID of
    your wap.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Den

    Fred Guest

    "Den" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless
    > router for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my
    > laptop. I was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with
    > wi-fi with something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see
    > anything in control panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can
    > anyone tell me how I will access this?

    For starters do you have the laptop wireless turned on?
    With my lappy a combination of key presses (Fn - F2) toggles wireless.
    With other units it can be a switch on the case.
    If all else fails RTFM.
    Fred, Oct 17, 2006
  6. Den

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-10-17, Den <> wrote:
    > Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless
    > router for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my
    > laptop. I was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with
    > wi-fi with something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see
    > anything in control panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can
    > anyone tell me how I will access this?
    >
    > Apologies for my ignorance, Thanks in advance - Den.

    I think the word "Centrino" is just something invented by Intel to
    advertise the hardware they make with laptops in mind.

    Have you tried to find anything in your operating system, to do with
    'networking' or 'wireless'? The first thing to do is find out if your
    computer's 'wireless' hardware has been recognised by the operating system
    and has a suitable 'driver' installed and configured.

    You should also check that the computer's 'ethernet' network interface is
    set up and working; you'll probably need this for making a wired connection
    to the router for the initial set-up - the router may have its wireless
    system disabled by default, so that you can make all the settings needed
    before activating the wireless connection. This is a good security
    arrangement, as you don't want to give all your neighbours and passers-by
    free internet access at your expense (at least, not accidentally, you
    don't!).

    What do the instructions for the router say about setting it up? (They
    usually have step-by-step instructions for using Windows to do this, which
    are easily interpreted for other OSs if you're familiar with them).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 17, 2006
  7. Den

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 05:35:15 -0700, "Den" <> wrote:

    >Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless
    >router for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my
    >laptop. I was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with
    >wi-fi with something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see
    >anything in control panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can
    >anyone tell me how I will access this?
    >
    >Apologies for my ignorance, Thanks in advance - Den.

    Centrino is an Intel trade name that refers to the chipset used.
    Intel require wireless to be included if the Centrino name is used.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og