    128-bit would be too intensive for the CTX.

    Thanks.
    -John
    John Seeliger, Sep 27, 2003

  2. John Seeliger

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:36:40 -0500, "John Seeliger"
    <> wrote:

    >3. Should I put WEP on? 64-bit? 128-bit?

    yes!

    >I assume that this would only matter if someone was within 802.11b range

    yes, but that range might be greater than you think

    >Besides, the 128-bit would be too intensive for the CTX.

    No.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Sep 27, 2003

  3. John,

    You will want to secure your internet connection by disabling file and print
    sharing on that connection. On your XP computer, right click on Network
    Places from your desktop and select properties. You should then see 2
    connections - one to the internet, and a wireless connection to the other
    computer. Right click the internet connection and select properties. Under
    "connection uses the following protocols", uncheck EVERYTHING except TCP/IP.
    This will patch up a couple of security holes in your internet connection.
    File sharing to the other home computer should remain unaffected because
    it's running through the other network connection.

    For casual home use, the ICF included in XP is fine.

    You will DEFINITELY want WEP turned on. If it's not on, anyone within range
    of your connection can hook up to your network. You should have it set to a
    128-bit key. 128-bit over 64-bit won't really affect your resources. WEP is
    not the end-all be-all of wireless security, but it really helps to deter
    people from snooping around.

    Hope this helps,
    --Donald

    "John Seeliger" <> wrote in message
    > Not sure where to ask this question, but will try here.
    >
    > I just set up a network for my mom and step-father. There are two PCs: a
    > CTX SAK-266 (Windows 98) and an eMachines T1090 (Windows XP Home). Two
    > Siemens Speedstram 1022 USB Network Adapters running in Ad-Hoc mode

    connect
    > them. The eMachines is the internet gateway machine.
    >
    > 1. I was told that files in the "Shared Documents" folder on the CTX
    > computer would be invisible from the internet, but that the eMachines

    files
    > could be seen by a hacker. Is this correct?
    >
    > 2. Do I need a different firewall that ICF?
    >
    > 3. Should I put WEP on? 64-bit? 128-bit? I assume that this would only
    > matter if someone was within 802.11b range and eavesdropping, and would

    not

    Donald Jacobsen, Sep 27, 2003
  4. John Seeliger

    JT Guest

    wrote:

    >Not sure where to ask this question, but will try here.
    >
    >I just set up a network for my mom and step-father. There are two PCs: a
    >CTX SAK-266 (Windows 98) and an eMachines T1090 (Windows XP Home). Two
    >Siemens Speedstram 1022 USB Network Adapters running in Ad-Hoc mode connect
    >them. The eMachines is the internet gateway machine.
    >
    >1. I was told that files in the "Shared Documents" folder on the CTX
    >computer would be invisible from the internet, but that the eMachines files
    >could be seen by a hacker. Is this correct?

    If you run a firewall on the eMachine, it will help but it is more
    vulnerable because it is directly connected. At the minimum make sure the
    XP firewall is turned on.

    >2. Do I need a different firewall that ICF?

    Probably want to get a different firewall. Either something like ZoneAlarm
    or Sygate, or even better an external router with firewall built in

    >3. Should I put WEP on? 64-bit? 128-bit? I assume that this would only
    >matter if someone was within 802.11b range and eavesdropping, and would not
    >matter for protecting the network from an internet attack. Besides, the
    >128-bit would be too intensive for the CTX.

    You are open to any kid within about 1000 feet and a cantenna. 128bit
    encryption is not too much of a load for your older machine. Some of it is
    taken care of by the wireless adapters.

    JT, Sep 28, 2003
  5. John Seeliger

    Mimic Guest

    "Donald Jacobsen" <> wrote in message
    > John,
    >
    > For casual home use, the ICF included in XP is fine.

    ^^ Just thought I'd add that when Ive used ICF Ive experienced a "connection
    lag", in particualr when connecting to an IRC server it could take up to
    5mins to get through as apposed to the usually few seconds, so if you use
    irc and icf and this happens you know what it is.

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"
    Mimic, Sep 28, 2003
  6. What's happening is that your computer is not responding to the IRC server's
    identd request, because the identd port is blocked by ICF. Try going into
    your internet connection's properties, go to the Advanced tab (where the
    check box for ICF is), and hit Settings. You should be in the Advanced
    Settings window, under the Services tab. Hit "Add", put "identd" as
    description of service, "127.0.0.1" as ip address of computer hosting the
    service, and for internal and external ports, put port 113 (TCP). Hit OK,
    close everything out, and tada... no more IRC connection lag. :)

    --Donald

    Donald Jacobsen, Sep 29, 2003
  7. "JT" <datacare@localhost> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:36:40 -0500, "John Seeliger" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Not sure where to ask this question, but will try here.
    > >
    > >I just set up a network for my mom and step-father. There are two PCs: a
    > >CTX SAK-266 (Windows 98) and an eMachines T1090 (Windows XP Home). Two
    > >Siemens Speedstram 1022 USB Network Adapters running in Ad-Hoc mode

    connect
    > >them. The eMachines is the internet gateway machine.
    > >
    > >1. I was told that files in the "Shared Documents" folder on the CTX
    > >computer would be invisible from the internet, but that the eMachines

    files
    > >could be seen by a hacker. Is this correct?
    > >

    > If you run a firewall on the eMachine, it will help but it is more
    > vulnerable because it is directly connected. At the minimum make sure the
    > XP firewall is turned on.

    Got that one on.

    > >2. Do I need a different firewall that ICF?

    > Probably want to get a different firewall. Either something like ZoneAlarm
    > or Sygate, or even better an external router with firewall built in

    CompUSA has a Belkin router $69.99 - $40.00 = $29.99
    (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=301825&pfp=BR
    OWSE). Is the firewall on this one pretty good?

    > >3. Should I put WEP on? 64-bit? 128-bit? I assume that this would only
    > >matter if someone was within 802.11b range and eavesdropping, and would

    not
    > >matter for protecting the network from an internet attack. Besides, the
    > >128-bit would be too intensive for the CTX.
    > >

    > You are open to any kid within about 1000 feet and a cantenna. 128bit
    > encryption is not too much of a load for your older machine. Some of it is
    > taken care of by the wireless adapters.

    I think I might have confused the 128-bit with something I had read. I
    believe I read that it takes a powerful machine to crack 128-bit and I had
    confused that with that it takes a powerful machine to encrypt it, which
    doesn't make sense, now that I think about it.

    Also, I took Donald Jacobsen's advice and removed all protocol's but TCP/IP
    from the dial-up connection. Only QoS or something like that was there.
    Had to uninstall it as it wouldn't uncheck.

    Thanks to all who helped.
    John Seeliger, Sep 29, 2003
  8. John Seeliger

    > What's happening is that your computer is not responding to the IRC

    server's
    > identd request, because the identd port is blocked by ICF. Try going into
    > your internet connection's properties, go to the Advanced tab (where the
    > check box for ICF is), and hit Settings. You should be in the Advanced
    > Settings window, under the Services tab. Hit "Add", put "identd" as
    > description of service, "127.0.0.1" as ip address of computer hosting the
    > service, and for internal and external ports, put port 113 (TCP). Hit OK,
    > close everything out, and tada... no more IRC connection lag. :)
    >
    > --Donald
    >
    > "Mimic" <> wrote in message
    > > "Donald Jacobsen" <> wrote in message
    > > ^^ Just thought I'd add that when Ive used ICF Ive experienced a

    > "connection
    > > lag", in particualr when connecting to an IRC server it could take up to
    > > 5mins to get through as apposed to the usually few seconds, so if you

    use
    > > irc and icf and this happens you know what it is.

    cool thx :D

    Mimic, Sep 29, 2003
  9. John Seeliger

    Britten Guest

    >> Probably want to get a different firewall. Either something like ZoneAlarm
    >> or Sygate, or even better an external router with firewall built in

    >CompUSA has a Belkin router $69.99 - $40.00 = $29.99
    >(http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=301825&pfp=BR
    >OWSE). Is the firewall on this one pretty good?

    yeah.... that one will do you good that way neither of the machines
    are directly exposed

    Britten

    x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
    Britten, Sep 29, 2003