    the Device Manager, tried updating the network adapter driver, etc. rebooted
    the computer, rebooted the wireless router-- but it still shows the red X.

    Any ideas for a fix?

    Expert Witness, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Expert Witness

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Expert Witness" <x@nospamcourt> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've got a wireless network set up at home using Linksys wireless G
    > Speedboost equipment. The network works well but there's an annoying bug
    > on one of the desktop computers running WIN XP Pro.
    >
    > Often the wireless network icon on the task bar has the red X through it
    > and if you mouse over the icon, the dialog box says the network isn't
    > connected--- but it is! I've got full and fast internet access.
    >
    > I've uninstalled/reinstalled the wireless adapter physically and also from
    > the Device Manager, tried updating the network adapter driver, etc.
    > rebooted the computer, rebooted the wireless router-- but it still shows
    > the red X.
    >
    > Any ideas for a fix?

    Is it possible you have two NICs installed? My boss's laptop has 2 wireless
    interfaces. (Don't ask me why...I didn't order it <g>)

    Toolman Tim, Aug 4, 2005

  3. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Expert Witness" <x@nospamcourt> wrote in message
    >> I've got a wireless network set up at home using Linksys wireless G
    >> Speedboost equipment. The network works well but there's an annoying bug
    >> on one of the desktop computers running WIN XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Often the wireless network icon on the task bar has the red X through it
    >> and if you mouse over the icon, the dialog box says the network isn't
    >> connected--- but it is! I've got full and fast internet access.
    >>
    >> I've uninstalled/reinstalled the wireless adapter physically and also
    >> from the Device Manager, tried updating the network adapter driver, etc.
    >> rebooted the computer, rebooted the wireless router-- but it still shows
    >> the red X.
    >>
    >> Any ideas for a fix?

    > Is it possible you have two NICs installed? My boss's laptop has 2
    > wireless interfaces. (Don't ask me why...I didn't order it <g>)

    Nope, just one. And the problem only exists on one computer. Three other
    computers on the network are fine.

    Oh, and the router firmware is updated to the latest version too...

    Expert Witness, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Expert Witness

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Are you using Windows Zero config for access or the wireless software that
    came with the card. Is the icon the windows icon, two computers, or is it
    one provided by the wireless software.

    pcbutts1, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Expert Witness

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:27:21 -0400, "Expert Witness" <x@nospamcourt> wrote:

    >I've got a wireless network set up at home using Linksys wireless G
    >Speedboost equipment. The network works well but there's an annoying bug on
    >one of the desktop computers running WIN XP Pro.
    >
    >Often the wireless network icon on the task bar has the red X through it and
    >if you mouse over the icon, the dialog box says the network isn't
    >connected--- but it is! I've got full and fast internet access.
    >
    >I've uninstalled/reinstalled the wireless adapter physically and also from
    >the Device Manager, tried updating the network adapter driver, etc. rebooted
    >the computer, rebooted the wireless router-- but it still shows the red X.
    >
    >Any ideas for a fix?

    Are you sure the red X is on the wireless icon, not on a wired adapter icon that's disconnected?

    Harrison, Aug 4, 2005
  6. <Harrison> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:27:21 -0400, "Expert Witness" <x@nospamcourt> wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a wireless network set up at home using Linksys wireless G
    >>Speedboost equipment. The network works well but there's an annoying bug
    >>on
    >>one of the desktop computers running WIN XP Pro.
    >>
    >>Often the wireless network icon on the task bar has the red X through it
    >>and
    >>if you mouse over the icon, the dialog box says the network isn't
    >>connected--- but it is! I've got full and fast internet access.
    >>
    >>I've uninstalled/reinstalled the wireless adapter physically and also from
    >>the Device Manager, tried updating the network adapter driver, etc.
    >>rebooted
    >>the computer, rebooted the wireless router-- but it still shows the red X.
    >>
    >>Any ideas for a fix?
    >>

    > Are you sure the red X is on the wireless icon, not on a wired adapter
    > icon that's disconnected?

    Yup, the wireless icon is the one with the "radio waves" coming from it. The
    plain wired one is X'ed out too.

    Expert Witness, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Expert Witness

    iq2012

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Restack your TCP/IP

    1. Click Start. Click Run. Type cmd. Click OK.
    2. On the C:/> prompt, type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt".
    3. Press the Enter key.
    4. Restart the computer.

    Note: If you're not in root, type "cd /" (without the quotation marks,) followed by the enter key to get to root.

    I know this is an old thread, but I believe this should fix the problem, which most forums are about, people searching for solutions.

    iq2012, Apr 20, 2008