Wireless network help

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Neal Phillips, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. Hi all
    I'm not an expert on wireless networks but many of my customers have
    notebooks so I've taken to installing something like the DLink DSL-G604T
    wireless ADSL-router at new sites.

    One site I installed last month runs my POS software on three lanes and the
    owner brings his notebook in each day and just works from the back office.
    Yesterday he advised me that he could no longer access the network with his
    notebook.

    I went to his site this morning and saw that the only wireless network
    signal available was to some other network that I didn't recognise, our
    network wasn't listed. I couldn't access the new network (without knowing
    the key).
    I then rebooted the router. The unknown network disappeared and ours was
    back again and accessible.

    This is in a new block of shops. Several empty shops in the block. I checked
    with the open shops and none of them had wireless networks.
    There are many factories and office buildings in the area but the nearest
    would be 200 m away.
    Can anyone advise what is likely to have happened?
    I don't mind that other networks are occasionally within range but it is a
    concern that ours suddenly wasn't there at all.

    TIA
    Neal

    Neal Phillips, Apr 13, 2006

  2. Neal Phillips

    juicyjuice Guest

    change channels on the router.. see if that helps

    juicyjuice, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Neal Phillips

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Bugger that, change the router. I had nothing but grief from my D-Link
    router, over time the bloody thing would more and more often just stop
    working, until it wouldn't even run for one day without restarting it.

    I know of others who have had similar problems, but I was lucky enough
    to be able to convince D-Link to RMA it - after a hell of a lot of work.

    Changed to a Linksys WRT54G, absolutely rock solid and reliable.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 13, 2006
  4. Neal Phillips

    juicyjuice Guest

    I wouldn't use dlink myself either, I have a linksys WAG54G v2

    juicyjuice, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Neal Phillips

    Stu Fleming Guest

    If you get a Linksys WRT54G, make sure that you get a v4, not a v5 (you
    need to check this carefully before buying, I think the only indication
    is on the sticker on the back of the unit).

    v4s are Linux based and can take custom firmware and are hugely more
    powerful as a result. The v5 (in my experience) is not as stable and
    definitely not as flexible.

    There are some v4s still in the NZ stock, but we're seeing more v5s
    starting to appear.

    Stu Fleming, Apr 13, 2006
  6. Neal Phillips

    juicyjuice Guest

    simular with the WAG54G -
    do not buy the v1 model.. apparently unstable -
    the v2 model has UPNP and Adsl2+ labels on the front.

    juicyjuice, Apr 13, 2006