Wireless Network help/advise needed please

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?cGFmb3M=?=, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. I have many years computer experience (too many!!) but have never needed to
    set up any networks. Perhaps those of you with network experience may shed
    some light on how to go about fulfilling my requirements.
    I intend to join two PC's in an ad hoc network using PCI wirless adaptors
    802.11g. No problem yet . I now want to be able to remotely connect to my
    satellite internet service, installed on my main PC, from a remote PC on the
    wirless LAN. Now in order to get the main PC connected I have to initiate the
    satellite connection process by clicking on an ICON in the Windows XP
    taskbar. This results in an automatic dial up internet connection being
    established followed by an automatic connection to the satellite server. The
    dial up connection is used for uploads and the satellite used for
    downloads.
    So basically I need to be able to "get at " this taskbar icon from a remote
    computer and get the internet Web pages etc. diplayed and be usable on the
    remote PC.
    Any ideas how to simply do this task. I have windows XP pro. Forgive my
    ignorance if this is easy to do but my knowledge of networking is zero (at
    present !!)

    --
    thanks in advance for any help
    Peter
    =?Utf-8?B?cGFmb3M=?=, Jan 21, 2006

  2. Unfortunately, satellite Internet connections are one of the few areas where
    this might not be easy at all. Try:

    1. Go to Control Panel - Network and Internet Connections - Network
    Connections.

    2. If there is an icon representing the dialup Internet connection, click on
    it and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

    3. On the Advanced tab, click to select the Allow other network users to
    connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.

    4. Under Internet Connection Sharing, in Home networking connection, select
    the wireless adapter.

    5. Reboot both computers; establish the wireless connection; open IE on the
    remote PC.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jan 21, 2006