    I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
    Thanks
    JS
    JS, Sep 16, 2008

  2. JS

    Pavel A. Guest

    JS wrote:
    > I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It says
    > something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it because
    > it requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am curious about
    > it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?
    > Could it be from a neighbor?
    > I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
    > Thanks
    > JS

    Hmmm. Do you live in a desert?
    Pavel A., Sep 16, 2008

  3. JS

    Big_Al Guest

    JS wrote:
    > I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It says
    > something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it because
    > it requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am curious about
    > it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?
    > Could it be from a neighbor?
    > I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
    > Thanks
    > JS

    Years ago my children did search and rescue and were taught to 'body
    block' with the receiver to try to do directional location of a downed
    plane. Put the receiver in front of your body and spin slowly. The
    signal strength will drop as your body gets between receiver and the
    transmitter. Not fool proof or fancy but it worked. At least it did
    with the airplane's transmitter. I'm sure you could drive up and down
    the street with your laptop and see the signal change. I've connected,
    as others have said, to a unsecured and wanted to put a note on their
    printer but came about that close to doing it. I guess that might
    really be invasion ( or is that evasion?).
    Big_Al, Sep 16, 2008
  4. JS

    JS Guest

    No, why?

    JS, Sep 16, 2008
  5. JS <> wrote:
    > I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail.

    You mean, you're seeing an access point called Abagail, with weak signal
    strength.

    > It
    > says something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it
    > because it requires a password.

    If it isn't yours, you shouldn't access it even if it's unprotected.

    > I don't really need it, but I am
    > curious about it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?

    Why?

    > Could it be from a neighbor?

    Yes, of course. What else could it be?

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Sep 16, 2008
  6. Pavel A. <> wrote:
    > JS wrote:
    >> I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It
    >> says something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access
    >> it because it requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am
    >> curious about it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?
    >> Could it be from a neighbor?
    >> I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
    >> Thanks
    >> JS

    > Hmmm. Do you live in a desert?

    Better question would be, "Do you live in a mountain cave?" In a flat
    desert, the signal could travel pretty far.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Sep 16, 2008
  7. JS

    JS Guest

    Thanks, Big Al,
    Thanks for your response. I am not trying to invade, I am just curious about
    how this stuff works.
    JS

    JS, Sep 16, 2008
  8. JS

    JS Guest

    No, I live in a semi-rural lake area neighborhood.
    Does that help?
    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <> wrote in message
    > Pavel A. <> wrote:
    >> JS wrote:
    >>> I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It
    >>> says something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access
    >>> it because it requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am
    >>> curious about it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?
    >>> Could it be from a neighbor?
    >>> I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> JS

    JS, Sep 16, 2008
  9. JS

    DeeJay Guest

    "JS" <> wrote in message
    >I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It says
    >something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it because it
    >requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am curious about it. Any
    >way, Can I track down its origin?

    Sure. Walk around the neighborhood with your laptop. When the signal becomes
    strongest, knock on the door and ask for Abigail (or Abagail?). It'll be so
    much easier if you live in the desert and have 1 or 2 neighbors around. Btw,
    get ready to run fast... just in case they call the cops on you.
    DeeJay, Sep 16, 2008
  10. Hi
    Q: Why I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network
    display?
    A: http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 16, 2008
  11. JS

    JS Guest

    I don't know what else it could be, why do you think I am asking?
    I didn't say I should access it, I told you I don't need it, I am trying to
    learn how these things work. Is that ok with you?
    Thank you for your input.

    JS, Sep 16, 2008
  12. JS

    JS Guest

    Thanks for your courteous and informative input also, I will remember you
    too!

    JS, Sep 16, 2008
  13. JS

    JS Guest

    Thank you Jack,
    I appreciate your sensible answer. The wireless faq said something about the
    first reaction being fear and/or anger, actually, the first thing I felt was
    more of curiosity. The tendency of trying to understand of what is happening
    and how it works. Some of the responses here seem to imply that I was trying
    to take advantage of some thing that is not mine. Maybe they are paranoid?
    One was a MVP wow! I expected better. But that is ok, there are all types of
    people and reactions. We have to learn to accept the reactions of the less
    intelligent.
    Thanks again,
    JS

    JS, Sep 16, 2008
  14. JS <> wrote:
    > I don't know what else it could be, why do you think I am asking?

    OK, then I've answered it. Of *course* it belongs to a neighbor.

    > I didn't say I should access it, I told you I don't need it, I am
    > trying to learn how these things work. Is that ok with you?

    Sure thing. Now you know. :)

    > Thank you for your input.

    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> JS <> wrote:
    >>> I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail.

    >> You mean, you're seeing an access point called Abagail, with weak
    >> signal strength.
    >>
    >>> It
    >>> says something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access
    >>> it because it requires a password.

    >> If it isn't yours, you shouldn't access it even if it's unprotected.
    >>
    >>> I don't really need it, but I am
    >>> curious about it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?

    >> Why?
    >>
    >>> Could it be from a neighbor?

    >> Yes, of course. What else could it be?
    >>
    >>> I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> JS
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Sep 16, 2008
  15. JS

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Pegleg" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:10:01 -0500, "JS"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It says
    >>something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it because
    >>it
    >>requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am curious about it.
    >>Any
    >>way, Can I track down its origin?
    >>Could it be from a neighbor?
    >>I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
    >>Thanks
    >>JS

    > Probably a neighbor...I walk our private road and the adjoining county
    > road frequently with my PDA and Sniffi and find about 12 different open
    > networks...have accessed all of them at one time or another. The folks
    > that I know I inform them that their network is "open" as a courtesy.
    > Some implement security, some don't.
    >
    > I can also access an RV park situated about a mile away which uses no
    > security.
    >
    > There are so many open wireless networks around it is pathetic. People
    > that get them setup some how but ignore all the caveats about security.

    Probably due to incompetence to implement security.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os
    Linea Recta, Sep 16, 2008
  16. "JS" <> wrote in message
    > I appreciate your sensible answer. The wireless faq said something about
    > the first reaction being fear and/or anger, actually, the first thing I
    > felt was more of curiosity. The tendency of trying to understand of what
    > is happening and how it works. Some of the responses here seem to imply
    > that I was trying to take advantage of some thing that is not mine. Maybe
    > they are paranoid? One was a MVP wow! I expected better. But that is ok,
    > there are all types of

    No one is trying to be a pain. It is kind of like having someone walk into
    a room full of electricians and ask, "How come I get a tingly feeling when I
    stick my finger in the light socket",...and then have 10 people do that per
    day, and then repeat it for about two months. What would happen?

    Well first they would expect any reasonable person to be aware enough to not
    stick their finger in the light socket in the first place.

    Second they would think that after getting "zapped" by the light socket that
    someone would figure it out eventually.

    Then finally the frustration would kick in and one of the electricians would
    probably feel like slapping the next fool that came in to ask the same
    question again after sticking their finger in the light socket yet again.

    To answer your original question:

    1. Yes it is a neighbor
    2. It is secured/encrypted because they don't want you messing with it.
    3. If you didn't buy it, set it up, and configure it,...it is not yours.

    --
    Phillip Windell [not an MVP]
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 16, 2008