    I do not have this problem with 2 other PCs which are hardwired.
    I have spent much time on this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks
    graemeg, Jan 29, 2009

  2. Hi
    Look at the power saving setting of the Network cards. Usually you would
    find entries in the cards drivers.
    Either get them out of the sleeping mode (I.e. the computer would go the
    sleep but the card will stay awake), or if there is a setting that
    specifically can be checked to wake the card on LAN traffic, check it.
    Example, http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg
    In Vista, Control Panel/Power Options/Edit Plan Setting/Change Advanced
    power settings you would find an entry for the Network card to.
    http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vista-power-saving3.jpg
    Please note that it is possible that No matter what you do the Wireless
    might be a problem. It is a design issue of how current Wireless cards work.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 30, 2009

  3. graemeg

    graemeg Guest

    Many thanks Jack.
    I checked all that and it seems that the settings are apropriate.
    One thing I did find out is that I am able to connect remotely (using
    LogMeIn) to the PC, even though I cannot ping the server using its name.
    ( a DNS issue?), but not sure where to go from here.
    Regards
    Graeme

    graemeg, Jan 30, 2009