    1. Do I have to have a wireless Router or can i do 2 wireless NICs?

    2. How do i setup the network?

    Thanks
    nunu, May 24, 2004

  2. nunu

    The Prophecy Guest

    nunu wrote:
    > Hi..
    >
    > I need to connect my desktop (Win 2000pro) and my laptop (win 2000pro)
    > wirelessly to share file, printer and internet connection
    >
    > 1. Do I have to have a wireless Router or can i do 2 wireless NICs?
    >
    > 2. How do i setup the network?
    >
    > Thanks

    You have to have both the wireless router and cards. To setup the network
    you should refer to the instruction manual that comes with the router. It
    should tell you everything you need to know.
    The Prophecy, May 24, 2004

  3. nunu

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "nunu" <> wrote in news:c8tj9h$qe0
    @dispatch.concentric.net:

    > Hi..
    >
    > I need to connect my desktop (Win 2000pro) and my laptop (win 2000pro)
    > wirelessly to share file, printer and internet connection
    >
    > 1. Do I have to have a wireless Router or can i do 2 wireless NICs?

    No, you don't have to have a wireless router. You can use the ADHOC mode
    of the wireless cards which allows the cards to communicate with each
    other. With using the ADHOC mode on the cards, you can setup an ICS
    situation between the two machines that way and share resources. That
    also means that one machine would have a wire NIC connected to the modem
    and a wireless NIC too so that the ICS could be done with the other
    wireless machine.

    On the other hand, it is best to get a wireless router because of the
    ease of use as the router being the gateway device for the LAN and WAN,
    along with using the infrastructure mode of the wireless cards. The
    router also provides protection from attack via the Internet for the
    machines behind it.

    Keep in mind that you should have a wire machine connected to the
    wire/wireless router to configure the router.

    But the best solution IMHO, is to get a wired router and (wireless access
    point) WAP and plug it into the wired router, because wireless technology
    changes to rapidly for a router solution.

    > 2. How do i setup the network?

    The link above also talks about wireless networking, which will give you
    a clue.

    Also use Google to lookup *Wireless Security in the Home Environment*.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, May 24, 2004