Wireless Network - did work, no longer.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Silvabod, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Have "ADDON"?? Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Adapter, (logo is a lowercase "a" at 45
    dgree angle in a square) with original packaging, paper instruction and
    set-up disk. It's about 2 years old, and networked fine, till the "slave"
    pc terminally crashed (corrupted HDD boot sector).
    Re-installed XP (Pro) from scratch, works fine, internet accessible via
    cable.

    PROBLEM trying to re-install wireless network. Network name is "ZOE", but
    I cannot view/edit the settings (though, bizarrely, I have printed them)
    Tried uninstalling/reinstallin the adapter on "master" pc, I get error
    "driver not signed by XP". Continue anyway?" (Yes) -
    (I assumed utility needs loading on both pc's, tho that is not stated).

    Network Adapter is XPC 802.11 b/g (packaging only claims "g")
    Driver version (per properties) is 4.7.0816.2005 Somewhere, I saw "ZyDAS",
    but Googling did not come up with a driver, except for Linux.
    Utility version is 1.0.1006.2004.Oct 19 2004.
    (there is a MAC code given, too).

    Have tried using the "windows" network installer, but without success.

    Can someone please help with
    1/ An XP driver / location
    2/ An "idiot" guide on how to install?

    Finally - It SEEMS to be (spasmodically) working as "wireless connection 6"
    (signal sterngth excellent) but dropping/reconnecting every few seconds,
    with no encryption security. Attemtb to correct this brings up "Windows
    can't help - use original software (but there's no help screens there, nor
    on the paper "manual" on how to configure.

    Hope someone can help, please, and is patient with me!

    Silvabod, Jan 24, 2007

  2. Silvabod

    David Hettel Guest

    Well basically I need more information, You say you install XP Pro from
    scratch is this the normal version, or the 64 bit version. Is it the same as
    what was on the old hard drive?

    Do you have an Ad-Hoc network just the two computers, or do you have an
    infrastructure network, two computers and a wireless router/hub?

    Does this computer connect to the Internet through another computer, or does
    another computer connect to the Internet through this computer?

    Thanks

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Jan 24, 2007

  3. Silvabod

    Lem Guest

    Silvabod wrote:
    > Have "ADDON"?? Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Adapter, (logo is a lowercase "a" at 45
    > dgree angle in a square) with original packaging, paper instruction and
    > set-up disk. It's about 2 years old, and networked fine, till the "slave"
    > pc terminally crashed (corrupted HDD boot sector).
    > Re-installed XP (Pro) from scratch, works fine, internet accessible via
    > cable.
    >
    > PROBLEM trying to re-install wireless network. Network name is "ZOE", but
    > I cannot view/edit the settings (though, bizarrely, I have printed them)
    > Tried uninstalling/reinstallin the adapter on "master" pc, I get error
    > "driver not signed by XP". Continue anyway?" (Yes) -
    > (I assumed utility needs loading on both pc's, tho that is not stated).
    >
    > Network Adapter is XPC 802.11 b/g (packaging only claims "g")
    > Driver version (per properties) is 4.7.0816.2005 Somewhere, I saw "ZyDAS",
    > but Googling did not come up with a driver, except for Linux.
    > Utility version is 1.0.1006.2004.Oct 19 2004.
    > (there is a MAC code given, too).
    >
    > Have tried using the "windows" network installer, but without success.
    >
    > Can someone please help with
    > 1/ An XP driver / location
    > 2/ An "idiot" guide on how to install?
    >
    > Finally - It SEEMS to be (spasmodically) working as "wireless connection 6"
    > (signal sterngth excellent) but dropping/reconnecting every few seconds,
    > with no encryption security. Attemtb to correct this brings up "Windows
    > can't help - use original software (but there's no help screens there, nor
    > on the paper "manual" on how to configure.
    >
    > Hope someone can help, please, and is patient with me!

    It's difficult to tell from your description what you have. Do you have
    one wireless adapter or two? First you describe it as an "ADDON
    Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Adapter" and then you describe it as a "XPC 802.11
    b/g" adapter.

    XPC is the brand name for "small form factor (SFF) computers and
    accessories" of a Taiwanese company called Shuttle:
    http://global.shuttle.com/

    Shuttle sells something called the "XPC 802.11b/g Wireless Kit PN18",
    which is a USB wireless network adapter. If this is what you have, the
    driver (as well as the configuration utility) is available here:
    http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=PN18

    I briefly looked at the driver zip file, and the version did not seem to
    have any relationship to the numbers you have.

    On the other hand, there is a different outfit called Addon which seems
    to be UK based (although who knows where the parts actually come from):
    http://www.addon-tech.com/ which also sells a USB wireless network
    adapter (GWU180). The driver for their device is at:
    http://www.addon-tech.com/download.htm

    The "manual" for the Addon unit is a one-page pdf, so maybe this is what
    you have. Addon has elected to compress its files using RAR, and I
    don't have a RAR decompresser installed on this box, so I can't tell you
    anything about these files. If you don't have one, you can download a
    trial version of WinRAR from
    http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000-2250-10007677.html

    Once you figure out what you have, uninstall everything related to this
    device from where ever you installed it. This includes both drivers and
    utilities. Then, install ONLY the driver -- not the utility -- and
    install it only on the PC that you intend to connect the device to.
    Then plug it in to that PC. Make sure that Windows WZC is set to start
    and run automatically. See http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html Reboot if
    necessary.

    What happens now?

    Are you attempting to connect to PCs together wirelessly and use Windows
    Internet Connection Sharing, or do you have a wireless router? Where
    (how) did you define "ZOE"?

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jan 24, 2007
  4. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Apologies - I thought I had clarified the "ADDON" as a trademark ID by 3
    methods - Caps, quotes and logo description.
    "ADDON" is the name on the original packaging of the Router and the USB2
    adapter, which is reporting in my Control Panel hardware list as "XPC
    802.11b/g Wireless kit."

    Things have moved on. Daughter's pc "died" (motherboard failure - won't
    even POST. It was Asus, about 8 years old). Bought another pc. BUT -
    still problems - my own pc (the "master") has "lost" the wireless network
    called ZOE. I have the original settings on my USB flash memory, so tried
    re-installing via that. ( To answer the questions - yes it was the original
    XP Pro, reloaded onto the same low-level-reformatted Hdd)

    I now have a wireless network - called "untitled" - and both my own pc and
    the new pc are (happily?) sharing one Internet connection (both,
    wirelessly). That's all I wanted - I do not want to share the pc's, just
    the internet connection. And, for what it's worth, it's now Wireless
    connection #11 (it was #6).
    Am slightly worried, I can't set up security either on the driver (so go to
    XP), or via XP's wireless wizard (which tells me to go to the driver - Catch
    22 !! Since neither pc can "see" each other, I'm slightly reassured, but
    totally confused.

    Silvabod, Jan 29, 2007
  5. Silvabod

    Lem Guest

    Silvabod wrote:
    > Apologies - I thought I had clarified the "ADDON" as a trademark ID by 3
    > methods - Caps, quotes and logo description.
    > "ADDON" is the name on the original packaging of the Router and the USB2
    > adapter, which is reporting in my Control Panel hardware list as "XPC
    > 802.11b/g Wireless kit."
    >
    > Things have moved on. Daughter's pc "died" (motherboard failure - won't
    > even POST. It was Asus, about 8 years old). Bought another pc. BUT -
    > still problems - my own pc (the "master") has "lost" the wireless network
    > called ZOE. I have the original settings on my USB flash memory, so tried
    > re-installing via that. ( To answer the questions - yes it was the original
    > XP Pro, reloaded onto the same low-level-reformatted Hdd)
    >
    > I now have a wireless network - called "untitled" - and both my own pc and
    > the new pc are (happily?) sharing one Internet connection (both,
    > wirelessly). That's all I wanted - I do not want to share the pc's, just
    > the internet connection. And, for what it's worth, it's now Wireless
    > connection #11 (it was #6).
    > Am slightly worried, I can't set up security either on the driver (so go to
    > XP), or via XP's wireless wizard (which tells me to go to the driver - Catch
    > 22 !! Since neither pc can "see" each other, I'm slightly reassured, but
    > totally confused.
    >
    > "Silvabod" <> wrote in message
    >> Have "ADDON"?? Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Adapter, (logo is a lowercase "a" at
    >> 45 dgree angle in a square) with original packaging, paper instruction and
    >> set-up disk. It's about 2 years old, and networked fine, till the "slave"
    >> pc terminally crashed (corrupted HDD boot sector).
    >> Re-installed XP (Pro) from scratch, works fine, internet accessible via
    >> cable.
    >>
    >> PROBLEM trying to re-install wireless network. Network name is "ZOE",
    >> but I cannot view/edit the settings (though, bizarrely, I have printed
    >> them) Tried uninstalling/reinstallin the adapter on "master" pc, I get
    >> error "driver not signed by XP". Continue anyway?" (Yes) -
    >> (I assumed utility needs loading on both pc's, tho that is not stated).
    >>
    >> Network Adapter is XPC 802.11 b/g (packaging only claims "g")
    >> Driver version (per properties) is 4.7.0816.2005 Somewhere, I saw
    >> "ZyDAS", but Googling did not come up with a driver, except for Linux.
    >> Utility version is 1.0.1006.2004.Oct 19 2004.
    >> (there is a MAC code given, too).
    >>
    >> Have tried using the "windows" network installer, but without success.
    >>
    >> Can someone please help with
    >> 1/ An XP driver / location
    >> 2/ An "idiot" guide on how to install?
    >>
    >> Finally - It SEEMS to be (spasmodically) working as "wireless connection
    >> 6" (signal sterngth excellent) but dropping/reconnecting every few
    >> seconds, with no encryption security. Attemtb to correct this brings up
    >> "Windows can't help - use original software (but there's no help screens
    >> there, nor on the paper "manual" on how to configure.
    >>
    >> Hope someone can help, please, and is patient with me!

    My confusion was not whether "Addon" was a trademark, but what piece of
    hardware you were talking about. The word "router" was nowhere in your
    original post. According to your second post, you seem to have both an
    ADDON router and an ADDON USB adapter. Remember, we can't see what you
    have or how it's connected.

    What is connected to the wire or cable that brings Internet service into
    your house?

    From your description, it sounds as if you (and your daughter's new
    computer) are connecting to someone else's wireless Internet connection
    ("untitled").

    You must set up security -- and the name of your wireless network -- on
    the router first. Not on the adapter. Of course, once it's set up on
    the router, you have to configure the adapter to match.

    Is one of these what you have for a router:
    http://www.addon-tech.com/gwar3500.html
    http://www.addon-tech.com/wbr9200.html

    Is one of these what you have for a USB adapter:
    http://www.addon-tech.com/gwu190.html
    http://www.addon-tech.com/gwu180v3.html
    http://www.addon-tech.com/GWU180v2.html

    If none of these is what you have, see if you can determine the model
    number, in addition to the make.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jan 30, 2007