Wireless Network Diagnostic Tools

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Charles Law, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Charles Law

    Charles Law Guest

    This is a follow on from another post, in which I am trying to find the
    cause of a wireless network issue.

    What tools would people recommend for diagnosing and configuring networks in
    general, and wireless networks specifically?

    The type of thing I am thinking of is a program that will allow one to
    discover a network topology, and test that it is configured correctly. This
    actually goes beyond my current wireless problem in that I have a network of
    several computers, but when I try to access files on one of the others there
    is always an initial delay (2 minutes perhaps) whilst the computers connect,
    and I don't know what is causing it. If I browse to My Network Places and
    drill down, I eventually see my domain name. When I click on it for the
    first time it takes ages for the list of computers to appear and even longer
    to get a list of available shares. In fact, the first time I get a message
    that tells me there are no shares available. I can only get the list when I
    have created a manual drive mapping first, and entered a user name and
    password, which seems a bit back-to-front.

    Anyway, I am wandering away from the point. I would like to be able to run
    something that will analyse my network configuration and make
    recommendations about changes I should make that will improve performance,
    visibility and security. Does such a beast exist?

    TIA

    Charles
    Charles Law, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Charles Law

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The diagnostic Tools that you need for Small Network are included in
    Windows.

    There is No Magic program that you can Run and it will tell what is wrong in
    the Network. You have to learn to configure your Network Manually.

    Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
    Settings, and Sharing. http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Charles Law

    Charles Law Guest

    Hi Jack

    Thanks for the useful link. Perhaps someone is missing a trick if there is
    no program to help in these areas?

    Charles

    Charles Law, Sep 9, 2004
  4. You already have
    "Command Prompt - ping & ipconfig"

    you can google for:
    "Angry IP Scanner"
    "Network Stumbler"

    Display Name Here, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Charles Law

    Dave Guest

    "Charles Law" <> wrote in message news:
    > This is a follow on from another post, in which I am trying to find the
    > cause of a wireless network issue.
    > What tools would people recommend for diagnosing and configuring networks in
    > general, and wireless networks specifically? ...

    > Anyway, I am wandering away from the point. I would like to be able to run
    > something that will analyse my network configuration and make
    > recommendations about changes I should make that will improve performance,
    > visibility and security. Does such a beast exist?

    Take a look on tool called netcrunch from AdRem Software. It's
    networkk monitoring, diagnosing and reporting soft. It has quite
    developed repoting features that help you analyze your network
    performance.

    regards,
    dave
    Dave, Sep 16, 2004