Wireless Network Connections unavailable - MVP??

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZmlyZWJsYWRlYm95?=, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. I've having trouble getting the wireless client built into XP SP2 to 'see'
    the local wireless networks:

    -I'm running XP SP2
    -we have an unsecured wireless network at my workplace (VPN in once
    connected for security)
    -a secured (WEP) private network at home
    -Netgear wireless PC Card
    -Compaq W200 multibay intergrated wireless card

    I've tried or determined the following:

    -SP2 Wireless Zero Configuration service / Client does not 'see' the
    wireless networks at all - (they both used to work on this laptop)
    -The Netgear Wireless Configuration utility detects the networks but will
    not let me connect
    -Using windows Wireless Zero Configuration service to configure my network
    does not help (and disabling or even uninstalling the netgear utility)
    -I've tried restarting the Wireless Zero Configuration service
    -I've tried turning the Wireless Zero Configuration service off and using
    the netgear utility
    -I've tried updating all patching and driver updates available from both
    microsoft / HP Compaq and netgear.
    -Other laptops have no problem connecting to these networks so it's no a
    problem with the Access point setup or availability.
    -I've ran a full 'upgrade' of xp from the CD to check if maybe system dll's
    etc may need updating, no luck..

    How come windows can't see networks the netgear card is detecting through
    the windows wireless client 'view available networks'?
    How can I re-install the networking / wireless protocols / configuration?

    Please help as rebuilding this pc from scratch is not an option.

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?ZmlyZWJsYWRlYm95?=, Oct 10, 2005

  2. Just reading through some questions...saw yours....a problem I had with my
    laptop was similar in a couple of ways....this is probably not the answer but
    mine turned out to be so simple that thing computer novice had to have a good
    laugh about it...
    My laptop is a Toshiba...there is a little toggle switch on the front....had
    no idea about it..since the remote card for wireless is in the machine...I
    toggled the switch and boom...all worked ....only after 10 hours of trying to
    get some help and reading everything i could about networks.....my problem
    right now is that I cannot get the laptop to send a message to my office
    printer to print...

    have a nice day...Rick
    --
    Maddog

    =?Utf-8?B?UmljayBH?=, Oct 10, 2005

  3. Thanks for the info but this isn't the problem, I have two different wireless
    cards installed and turned on, both with latest firmware and drivers and I
    still see any wireless networks.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmlyZWJsYWRlYm95?=, Oct 11, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZmlyZWJsYWRlYm95?=

    Mr. Nobody Guest

    I'm no MVP but----Do you think it could be your firewall??? If you have the
    built in windows firewall turned on check the advanced tab and see if you
    have the approiate boxes checked.

    I have different brands of hardware and that fixed mine. Hope this helps,
    good luck!

    Mr. Nobody
    Mr. Nobody, Oct 11, 2005
  5. No, I don't use the windows firewall (I disable the service) and there is no
    difference wether my other firewall is disabled or enabled.

    Either way the windows client should be able to see the networks to connect
    to even if it can't for another reason.. I can't even see the available
    networks at all unless I open my netgear wireless configuration utility.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmlyZWJsYWRlYm95?=, Oct 11, 2005