    solution that is less time consuming. Any help would be appreciated.

    Sincerely,
    --Ralf
    =?Utf-8?B?UmFsZiBCLiBMdWtuZXI=?=, Jul 24, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UmFsZiBCLiBMdWtuZXI=?=

    Malke Guest

    Ralf B. Lukner wrote:

    > I'm using a IBM Thinkpad T42 and I am encountering the following issue
    > connecting with the onboard Wireless adapter (11a/b/g Wireless LAN MiniPCI
    > Adapter running a driver from Atheros Communications, Inc., v
    > 4.1.102.133).
    > Windows says this device is working properly. I'm able to see wireless
    > networks, and when I attempt to connect, the initial connection seems to
    > work, but then it fails when obtaining an IP address from a Motorola
    > SBG900.
    >
    > The wireless network is unsecured and another laptop is able to connect
    > without any issues. Also, if I make a wired LAN connection to the same
    > Moto
    > router, it obtains an IP without incident. I spoke with Lenovo (formerly
    > IBM) support, who referred me to PVT, which handles the wireless
    > troubleshooting. They walked me through some tests that confirmed that
    > the
    > hardware is ok and all drivers are current. They said they are not able
    > troubleshoot non-trivial software issue. PVT's solution on behalf of
    > Lenovo
    > is basically to reinstall Windows XP. I'm wondering if there is another
    > solution that is less time consuming. Any help would be appreciated.

    I'm sure you've tried this, but are you using the IBM wireless management
    software or the built-in Windows one? Do you have XP SP2?

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Jul 25, 2006

  3. Hi Malke,

    Yes, I tried both of those (IBM wireless management software and Windows).
    Yes, I have XP SP2 (latest update including all required service packs).

    Sincerely,
    --Ralf

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFsZiBCLiBMdWtuZXI=?=, Jul 25, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UmFsZiBCLiBMdWtuZXI=?=

    Malke Guest

    Ralf B. Lukner wrote:

    > Hi Malke,
    >
    > Yes, I tried both of those (IBM wireless management software and Windows).
    > Yes, I have XP SP2 (latest update including all required service packs).

    >> Ralf B. Lukner wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm using a IBM Thinkpad T42 and I am encountering the following issue
    >> > connecting with the onboard Wireless adapter (11a/b/g Wireless LAN
    >> > MiniPCI Adapter running a driver from Atheros Communications, Inc., v
    >> > 4.1.102.133).
    >> > Windows says this device is working properly. I'm able to see wireless
    >> > networks, and when I attempt to connect, the initial connection seems
    >> > to work, but then it fails when obtaining an IP address from a Motorola
    >> > SBG900.
    >> >
    >> > The wireless network is unsecured and another laptop is able to connect
    >> > without any issues. Also, if I make a wired LAN connection to the same
    >> > Moto
    >> > router, it obtains an IP without incident. I spoke with Lenovo
    >> > (formerly IBM) support, who referred me to PVT, which handles the
    >> > wireless
    >> > troubleshooting. They walked me through some tests that confirmed that
    >> > the
    >> > hardware is ok and all drivers are current. They said they are not
    >> > able to
    >> > troubleshoot non-trivial software issue. PVT's solution on behalf of
    >> > Lenovo
    >> > is basically to reinstall Windows XP. I'm wondering if there is
    >> > another
    >> > solution that is less time consuming. Any help would be appreciated.

    >> I'm sure you've tried this, but are you using the IBM wireless management
    >> software or the built-in Windows one? Do you have XP SP2?

    Check your Gateway/DNS settings. Go to the Local Area Network and
    right-click on your wireless adapter to get its Properties. Then find the
    TCP/IP settings in the "box" and get its Properties. Ideally, both IP and
    DNS will be set to "automatic". If it isn't, please do that and then see if
    that works.

    If they are already set to automatic and you still can't get DNS:

    Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    ipconfig /release [enter]
    ipconfig /flushdns [enter]
    ipconfig /renew [enter]

    Now try. If it works, great. If not, for now set the gateway to the router
    address and the DNS to the whatever is working on the other computers. You
    can see the DNS settings on the working computers by doing (on them):

    Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    ipconfig /all [enter]

    This last isn't ideal because these settings would be different on different
    networks when you travel with the laptop, but it would be good to just get
    this one working now.

    Report back after troubleshooting.

    Malke
    Malke, Jul 25, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UmFsZiBCLiBMdWtuZXI=?=

    Silvio Galli Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 05:35:46 -0700, Malke <>
    wrote:

    >Now try. If it works, great. If not, for now set the gateway to the router
    >address and the DNS to the whatever is working on the other computers. You
    >can see the DNS settings on the working computers by doing (on them):
    >
    >Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    >ipconfig /all [enter]
    >
    >This last isn't ideal because these settings would be different on different
    >networks when you travel with the laptop, but it would be good to just get
    >this one working now.

    It happens frequently to me, trying to connect in different places. In
    some of them the connection gets smoothly, in others the connection is
    established, but I cannot navigate.

    In these cases I don't have a second working computer to check: is the
    a program that finds the IP address of the router so that one can try
    with this address as a gateway and DNS server?

    Thanks,
    Silvio Galli
    Silvio Galli, Jul 26, 2006
  6. "Malke" wrote:

    > Ralf B. Lukner wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Malke,
    > >
    > > Yes, I tried both of those (IBM wireless management software and Windows).
    > > Yes, I have XP SP2 (latest update including all required service packs).

    > >> I'm sure you've tried this, but are you using the IBM wireless management
    > >> software or the built-in Windows one? Do you have XP SP2?

    > Check your Gateway/DNS settings. Go to the Local Area Network and
    > right-click on your wireless adapter to get its Properties. Then find the
    > TCP/IP settings in the "box" and get its Properties. Ideally, both IP and
    > DNS will be set to "automatic". If it isn't, please do that and then see if
    > that works.

    Checked. Everything is "automatic" as it should be.

    > If they are already set to automatic and you still can't get DNS:
    >
    > Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    > ipconfig /release [enter]
    > ipconfig /flushdns [enter]
    > ipconfig /renew [enter]

    Tried that. Still cannot get an IP address on wireless.

    > Now try. If it works, great. If not, for now set the gateway to the router
    > address and the DNS to the whatever is working on the other computers. You
    > can see the DNS settings on the working computers by doing (on them):
    >
    > Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    > ipconfig /all [enter]

    Tried this and the wireless adapter was not able to connect (unlike another
    laptop I have -- a Dell).

    > This last isn't ideal because these settings would be different on different
    > networks when you travel with the laptop, but it would be good to just get
    > this one working now.
    >
    > Report back after troubleshooting.

    Thanks for the suggestions, but they did not work.

    Sincerely,
    --Ralf

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFsZiBCLiBMdWtuZXI=?=, Aug 17, 2006
  7. "Silvio Galli" wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 05:35:46 -0700, Malke <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Now try. If it works, great. If not, for now set the gateway to the router
    > >address and the DNS to the whatever is working on the other computers. You
    > >can see the DNS settings on the working computers by doing (on them):
    > >
    > >Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    > >ipconfig /all [enter]
    > >
    > >This last isn't ideal because these settings would be different on different
    > >networks when you travel with the laptop, but it would be good to just get
    > >this one working now.

    > It happens frequently to me, trying to connect in different places. In
    > some of them the connection gets smoothly, in others the connection is
    > established, but I cannot navigate.
    >
    > In these cases I don't have a second working computer to check: is the
    > a program that finds the IP address of the router so that one can try
    > with this address as a gateway and DNS server?

    Certainly, I can get all that information. I even tried using a static IP,
    but none of these things work. The adapter cannot connect. It sees the
    wireless network and other laptops (of different brands) can connect to the
    network.

    Sincerely,
    --Ralf

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFsZiBCLiBMdWtuZXI=?=, Aug 17, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UmFsZiBCLiBMdWtuZXI=?=

    Lem Guest

    Ralf B. Lukner wrote:

    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Ralf B. Lukner wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Malke,
    >>>
    >>> Yes, I tried both of those (IBM wireless management software and Windows).
    >>> Yes, I have XP SP2 (latest update including all required service packs).

    >> Check your Gateway/DNS settings. Go to the Local Area Network and
    >> right-click on your wireless adapter to get its Properties. Then find the
    >> TCP/IP settings in the "box" and get its Properties. Ideally, both IP and
    >> DNS will be set to "automatic". If it isn't, please do that and then see if
    >> that works.

    > Checked. Everything is "automatic" as it should be.
    >
    >> If they are already set to automatic and you still can't get DNS:
    >>
    >> Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    >> ipconfig /release [enter]
    >> ipconfig /flushdns [enter]
    >> ipconfig /renew [enter]

    > Tried that. Still cannot get an IP address on wireless.
    >
    >> Now try. If it works, great. If not, for now set the gateway to the router
    >> address and the DNS to the whatever is working on the other computers. You
    >> can see the DNS settings on the working computers by doing (on them):
    >>
    >> Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    >> ipconfig /all [enter]

    > Tried this and the wireless adapter was not able to connect (unlike another
    > laptop I have -- a Dell).
    >
    >> This last isn't ideal because these settings would be different on different
    >> networks when you travel with the laptop, but it would be good to just get
    >> this one working now.
    >>
    >> Report back after troubleshooting.
    >>

    > Thanks for the suggestions, but they did not work.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > --Ralf
    >
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic"

    A long shot, which you've probably tried: you said that the network was
    unsecured. Is it possible that the network connection on the laptop
    somehow became associated with an encryption setting? By now, the SSID
    of the moto router is probably in the list of "preferred networks" on
    the wireless network connection properties page. "Remove" it and then
    try to connect again from the "view wireless networks" screen.

    Assuming that doesn't work, can you connect with this laptop to any
    other wifi network? If you're in the U.S., there's probably a Starbucks
    or McDonalds nearby that has a wifi hotspot. (MickeyD has them in some
    European countries as well). If you can't connect to ANY wifi network,
    I'd go with there being a problem with the onboard wifi adapter and/or
    driver, regardless of what PVT said.

    If I were you, I'd buy an external wifi adapter (either USB or PCMCIA)
    and see if that worked; it's up to you to decide how much to spend
    compared to your time involved in a "clean re-install" (which might not
    even be a solution), but I'd go with a brand name device rather than
    buying the cheapest one available. If you do install an external
    adapter, remember to disable the onboard one.
    Lem, Aug 17, 2006
  9. "Lem" wrote:

    > Ralf B. Lukner wrote:

    > >> Check your Gateway/DNS settings. Go to the Local Area Network and
    > >> right-click on your wireless adapter to get its Properties. Then find the
    > >> TCP/IP settings in the "box" and get its Properties. Ideally, both IP and
    > >> DNS will be set to "automatic". If it isn't, please do that and then see if
    > >> that works.

    > > Checked. Everything is "automatic" as it should be.
    > >
    > >> If they are already set to automatic and you still can't get DNS:
    > >>
    > >> Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    > >> ipconfig /release [enter]
    > >> ipconfig /flushdns [enter]
    > >> ipconfig /renew [enter]

    > > Tried that. Still cannot get an IP address on wireless.
    > >
    > >> Now try. If it works, great. If not, for now set the gateway to the router
    > >> address and the DNS to the whatever is working on the other computers. You
    > >> can see the DNS settings on the working computers by doing (on them):
    > >>
    > >> Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    > >> ipconfig /all [enter]

    > > Tried this and the wireless adapter was not able to connect (unlike another
    > > laptop I have -- a Dell).
    > >
    > >> This last isn't ideal because these settings would be different on different
    > >> networks when you travel with the laptop, but it would be good to just get
    > >> this one working now.
    > >>
    > >> Report back after troubleshooting.
    > >>

    > > Thanks for the suggestions, but they did not work.
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > > --Ralf
    > >
    > >> Malke
    > >> --
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Elephant Boy Computers
    > >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > >> "Don't Panic"
    > >>

    > A long shot, which you've probably tried: you said that the network was
    > unsecured. Is it possible that the network connection on the laptop
    > somehow became associated with an encryption setting? By now, the SSID
    > of the moto router is probably in the list of "preferred networks" on
    > the wireless network connection properties page. "Remove" it and then
    > try to connect again from the "view wireless networks" screen.
    >
    > Assuming that doesn't work, can you connect with this laptop to any
    > other wifi network? If you're in the U.S., there's probably a Starbucks
    > or McDonalds nearby that has a wifi hotspot. (MickeyD has them in some
    > European countries as well). If you can't connect to ANY wifi network,
    > I'd go with there being a problem with the onboard wifi adapter and/or
    > driver, regardless of what PVT said.
    >
    > If I were you, I'd buy an external wifi adapter (either USB or PCMCIA)
    > and see if that worked; it's up to you to decide how much to spend
    > compared to your time involved in a "clean re-install" (which might not
    > even be a solution), but I'd go with a brand name device rather than
    > buying the cheapest one available. If you do install an external
    > adapter, remember to disable the onboard one.

    I tried all that. I finally just restored the laptop to factory defaults
    (reinstalled Windows XP, etc.) ... and it worked again. Windows just needs
    to be reinstalled from scratch every now and then.
    =?Utf-8?B?UmFsZiBCLiBMdWtuZXI=?=, Aug 17, 2006