    I am wondering why there is less "receiving". I run Windows Defender and
    it shows "no unwanted or harmful software detected".
    ps
    ps, Apr 25, 2007

  2. ps wrote:
    > In activity, shows 15,140 Packets sent, 9651 received. My PC is slow and
    > I am wondering why there is less "receiving". I run Windows Defender and
    > it shows "no unwanted or harmful software detected".

    I think you've just invented something to worry about.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 25, 2007

  3. ps

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:37:57 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

    >ps wrote:
    >> In activity, shows 15,140 Packets sent, 9651 received. My PC is slow and
    >> I am wondering why there is less "receiving". I run Windows Defender and
    >> it shows "no unwanted or harmful software detected".

    >I think you've just invented something to worry about.

    Sadly not the first, since the LAC icon appeared in Win 2000 the same
    question is asked at work.

    Me
    why?, Apr 25, 2007
  4. ps

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "ps" <> wrote in message
    > In activity, shows 15,140 Packets sent, 9651 received. My PC is slow and I
    > am wondering why there is less "receiving". I run Windows Defender and it
    > shows "no unwanted or harmful software detected".
    > ps

    It all depends on what you're doing and what programs are being used to send
    and receive packets. For me at this time on a dial-up, 500K bytes have been
    sent and over 2.7M have been received.

    You may be making much to do about nothing.

    On the other hand, if you really want to investigate the sending of packets
    and what remote Internet sites or IP(s) the packets are being sent to, then
    install a free packet sniffer like Ethereal or other free packet sniffers.

    You can then record the IP(s) and use the Arin Whois Web site that will tell
    you the site the IP belongs to, if you are concerned about packets leaving
    the machine that you don't know about.
    Mr. Arnold, Apr 25, 2007
  5. ps

    ps Guest

    Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > "ps" <> wrote in message
    >> In activity, shows 15,140 Packets sent, 9651 received. My PC is slow
    >> and I am wondering why there is less "receiving". I run Windows
    >> Defender and it shows "no unwanted or harmful software detected".
    >> ps

    > It all depends on what you're doing and what programs are being used to
    > send and receive packets. For me at this time on a dial-up, 500K bytes
    > have been sent and over 2.7M have been received.
    >
    > You may be making much to do about nothing.
    >
    > On the other hand, if you really want to investigate the sending of
    > packets and what remote Internet sites or IP(s) the packets are being
    > sent to, then install a free packet sniffer like Ethereal or other free
    > packet sniffers.
    >
    > You can then record the IP(s) and use the Arin Whois Web site that will
    > tell you the site the IP belongs to, if you are concerned about packets
    > leaving the machine that you don't know about.

    I suppose you all have a good answers. this evening after re-starting my
    pc, it appears as fast as it ever was, considering it is a P3 1.13ghz
    with 286mb ram!
    ps, Apr 25, 2007
  6. ps wrote:
    > Mr. Arnold wrote:
    >

    >> "ps" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> In activity, shows 15,140 Packets sent, 9651 received. My PC is slow
    >>> and I am wondering why there is less "receiving". I run Windows
    >>> Defender and it shows "no unwanted or harmful software detected".
    >>> ps

    >> It all depends on what you're doing and what programs are being used
    >> to send and receive packets. For me at this time on a dial-up, 500K
    >> bytes have been sent and over 2.7M have been received.
    >>
    >> You may be making much to do about nothing.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, if you really want to investigate the sending of
    >> packets and what remote Internet sites or IP(s) the packets are being
    >> sent to, then install a free packet sniffer like Ethereal or other
    >> free packet sniffers.
    >>
    >> You can then record the IP(s) and use the Arin Whois Web site that
    >> will tell you the site the IP belongs to, if you are concerned about
    >> packets leaving the machine that you don't know about.
    >>

    > I suppose you all have a good answers. this evening after re-starting my
    > pc, it appears as fast as it ever was, considering it is a P3 1.13ghz
    > with 286mb ram!

    I seriously doubt that number. Very seriously. But glad things are going
    well for you.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 25, 2007