    disconnected my wired connection, without affecting the wireless.

    What am I doing wrong? I am running Windows XP home.

    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    jim, Aug 4, 2006

  2. jim

    Lem Guest

    jim wrote:
    > I am a newbie at wireless. I have had a wired network at home for
    > years...cable modem, 4 port router and extension hub...works great.
    > Bought a wireless pci card so that I would have some wireless access to
    > the network. It installed fine...but network connections shows the not
    > connected...I tried using the network bridge in connetions, that just
    > disconnected my wired connection, without affecting the wireless.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? I am running Windows XP home.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.

    What wireless network are you trying to connect to? That is, does the
    router you've had for years have wireless capability or are you trying
    to access someone else's wifi network?
    Lem, Aug 4, 2006

  3. jim

    Tim Guest

    What kind of wireless access point and wireless card are you using?

    Tim, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Hi Jim,

    How many computers do you have, and which are you trying to connect via
    wireless? Which ones have wired access, and which one did you add the
    wireless PCI card to?

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Aug 4, 2006
  5. jim

    jim Guest

    I have a d-link wired 4 port router ..there are two computers on the
    wired network.

    The wireless pci card is a Media 802.11g card.

    I installed the wireless card in the main computer near my cable
    modem...the wired network goes from the cable modem to the router then
    to both computers.

    Jim

    jim, Aug 4, 2006
  6. If you only have the two computers, and they are both connected to the wired
    network, then I don't understand why you need a wireless network.

    If you have plans to add a 3rd computer that won't connect to the wired
    network, or will only connect to the wired network some of the time, then
    you can benefit from having a wireless network. In that case, you have two
    choices:

    1) Purchase a wireless access point router. Connect it to your wired
    network and configure the wireless network. Then, configure each wireless
    client computer for access.
    2) Use Internet Connection Sharing (a.k.a. ad hoc wireless) to connect
    client computers to your host computer. See the link below. You need to
    have at least 2 computers with wireless adapters.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=trueHi

    I hope this helps!

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Aug 4, 2006
  7. jim

    jim Guest

    The reason I want a wireless access point...is so that 1)guests can use
    my network and 2) I can access the network with my wifi phone

    ....I would think I could somehow link my wired network to the wireless
    pci card in my computer...am I wrong?

    jim

    jim, Aug 4, 2006
  8. The wireless adapter does not automatically give you a wireless network.
    You have to either create an ad-hoc network as described in the link below,
    or purchase an access point device.

    Once you have the wireless network created with a network name (SSID), you
    can begin connecting other devices to it.

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Aug 4, 2006
  9. jim

    jim Guest

    the instuctions in the Bowman article do not seem
    applicable....clicking the x'd out icon does not bring up anything
    simlar to that in the article and I cannot see how to set up an ad hoc
    connection.

    jim, Aug 5, 2006
  10. Hi

    1. WIFI phone? To the best of my knowledge Wireless phones can connect to
    Wireless 802.11b/g. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#terms

    2. No matter what, to allow Network Wireless connections you need a Wireless
    source and a Wireless client. Using two Wireless cards to make a connection
    in Ad-Hoc mode (the Ms. Bowman page) is really not adequate when you already
    have a Broadband connection and a Router. It might save you $10-$20 (The
    cost of two Wireless cards as oppose to the cost of a Wireless Router and
    one Wireless card), and would result in double Routing, unstable, inflexible
    Network, and your guests would need to reconfigure their laptop's wireless
    to Ad-Hoc as well.

    The easiest way would be to replace your Router with a Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router.

    If you search over the weekend, you probably would find a Wireless Router on
    sale for $20-$30.

    Wireless Routers have 4 wired ports too, and after the initial configuration
    your current system probably can be plugged into it as is.

    The whole system should look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    A lot of info about Entry Level Wireless can be found here,
    http://www.ezlan.net#Wireless

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 5, 2006
  11. jim

    jim Guest

    thank you...maybe I shoudd just pick up a WAP to plug into a port on my
    router...

    jim, Aug 5, 2006