    administrator. Both computers are set up with identicle user accounts. ive
    run the network setup wizard but still no joy can anyone shed some light on
    this frustrating problem.
    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Steve,

    Let's get put some joy back into networking! I understand the problem, and
    think you have
    described it quite well. I'd first like to caution that if ping does not
    work, there are only problems ahead.
    Let's get ping working. First, how are you pinging?
    1) Try with the IP Address of the machine
    Doing a "ipconfig" from a cmd.exe window, you will be able to get the
    address of the machine. Do this for both
    and make sure each machine can ping the other with the other's
    respective IP address.

    2) Try using the name of the machine
    Now try ping using the computer name. The address that is resolved from
    each machine should be the same as from part 1.
    ping mylaptop
    Pinging mylaptop .. [10.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
    Make sure that the addresses are the same. 10.0.0.1 should be the
    address I saw when I did "ipconfig" on the laptop.

    3) Make sure that if there is a firewall on each machine, that it is
    configured to allow these networking protocols.
    In XP SP2 this is important. Having the firewall set to "No Exceptions"
    cuts the machine off (and also makes it very safe). In the Firewall tab of
    the Network Connection property page, Enable Exceptions and select MS
    File/Printer sharing from the allowed protocols list in the "Exceptions"
    Tab. Also, in the "Advanced" tab, enable ICMP responses (just the top
    check box in the list, so that the machine will respond to pings).

    4) Try doing the pings again. If this works, try the final test from the
    cmd.exe window:
    from the desktop:
    net view \\mylaptop
    from the laptop
    net new \\desktop

    You should be able to see the shared resources on these machine.
    Hope this helps.

    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Nov 23, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Nov 24, 2004
  4. I have a similar problem. I have a laptop and PC wirelessly linked via a
    router. I can view PC folders, and I can even print remotely, but I cannot
    open the folders. I have tried the ping and I have checked that the firewalls
    are off.
    Judith
    =?Utf-8?B?SmF5VmVl?=, Nov 25, 2004