Wireless network conflict with other networks

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by eljainc@sbcglobal.net, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I am having a problem with wireless networking. Two laptops have
    802.11g network cards (one is a Broadcom built-in adapter), the other
    has a Linksys-G 802.11g network card.
    The linksys doesn't have any option to select the channel in the
    properties, or at least any option that I see. There is no access point
    used. They are set to work in more or less an "ad-hoc" network. And it
    works quite well.

    The problem that comes into play is when the two laptops are used at a
    specific location (a physician's office). There are two other networks
    present, one is on channel 1 the other on channel 6. Our network favors
    channel 11. The connectivity is sketchy at best when it is used at
    this location. We cannot ask the physicans/employees to turn off or
    alter their network.

    Is there anything we can do to make the wireless connection more
    stable? Since the networks are on different SSIDs and channels, they
    shouldn't interfere right? But they are.
    Is there another channel that tends not to cause interference with
    channels 1 and 6?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Mike McWhinney
    , Nov 16, 2005

  2. Lem Guest

    See http://www.gigafast.com/tech/faq/wireless/#9

    OR

    If you use the Linksys configuration utility, rather than WinXP Wireless
    Zero Configuration, you should be able to set the channel in ad-hoc mode.
    You don't say which Linksys card you have, but the manual for the WPC54G,
    at http://tinyurl.com/9p2lx explains how to do this, and also explains how
    to set up different profiles so that you can, for example, use different
    channels at different locations. It's been a while since I did this (and
    then it was not on XP) so I don't know if installing the Linksys utility
    automatically turns off XP's WZC. If not, Google for --disable wireless
    zero configuration--

    Lem, Nov 16, 2005