Wireless network - Central Hard Drive

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Southern Kiwi, May 1, 2009.

  1. I have a wireless network at home running a mixture of XP & Vista Laptops.
    The laptops are used at random by various family members and none of
    them is left on 24/7

    I want to have a hard drive available 24/7 wirelessly for use by any of
    the laptops. I intend to hold all commonly wanted data on the one drive
    (pictures/videos/music etc)

    I have tried a usb external drive attached to the usb port on a Belkin
    n+ wireless router with..errr..problematic results (drive nor found,
    disappearing, slow transfer rates etc.

    Ethernet drives are still too expensive for me at the moment (over $500
    for 1Tb) If I'm going to spend that sort of money I figure I might as
    well buy a new desktop box.

    I am now considering buying a cheap second hand desktop computer off the
    likes of Trademe, poking a wireless card in it so I can hide it away
    somewhere to leave on 24/7.

    Any further ideas or advice appreciated

    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, May 1, 2009

  2. whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <gte7h6$bij$>,
    > Southern Kiwi <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a wireless network at home running a mixture of XP & Vista Laptops.
    >> The laptops are used at random by various family members and none of
    >> them is left on 24/7
    >>
    >> I want to have a hard drive available 24/7 wirelessly for use by any of
    >> the laptops. I intend to hold all commonly wanted data on the one drive
    >> (pictures/videos/music etc)
    >>
    >> I have tried a usb external drive attached to the usb port on a Belkin
    >> n+ wireless router with..errr..problematic results (drive nor found,
    >> disappearing, slow transfer rates etc.
    >>
    >> Ethernet drives are still too expensive for me at the moment (over $500
    >> for 1Tb) If I'm going to spend that sort of money I figure I might as
    >> well buy a new desktop box.
    >>
    >> I am now considering buying a cheap second hand desktop computer off the
    >> likes of Trademe, poking a wireless card in it so I can hide it away
    >> somewhere to leave on 24/7.
    >>
    >> Any further ideas or advice appreciated
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Southern Kiwi

    > Apple TimeCapsual... 802.11a/b/g/n, Internal HD (and you can expand it
    > with USB drives), Gigabit ethernet, etc, etc.
    > They are small, work well.

    Will this work in my Windows based set-up?
    Southern Kiwi, May 1, 2009

  3. Southern Kiwi

    J Brockley Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <> wrote in message
    > whoisthis wrote:
    >> In article <gte7h6$bij$>,
    >> Southern Kiwi <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a wireless network at home running a mixture of XP & Vista
    >>> Laptops.
    >>> The laptops are used at random by various family members and none of
    >>> them is left on 24/7
    >>>
    >>> I want to have a hard drive available 24/7 wirelessly for use by any of
    >>> the laptops. I intend to hold all commonly wanted data on the one drive
    >>> (pictures/videos/music etc)
    >>>
    >>> I have tried a usb external drive attached to the usb port on a Belkin
    >>> n+ wireless router with..errr..problematic results (drive nor found,
    >>> disappearing, slow transfer rates etc.
    >>>
    >>> Ethernet drives are still too expensive for me at the moment (over $500
    >>> for 1Tb) If I'm going to spend that sort of money I figure I might as
    >>> well buy a new desktop box.
    >>>
    >>> I am now considering buying a cheap second hand desktop computer off the
    >>> likes of Trademe, poking a wireless card in it so I can hide it away
    >>> somewhere to leave on 24/7.
    >>>
    >>> Any further ideas or advice appreciated
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Southern Kiwi

    >> Apple TimeCapsual... 802.11a/b/g/n, Internal HD (and you can expand it
    >> with USB drives), Gigabit ethernet, etc, etc.
    >> They are small, work well.

    > Will this work in my Windows based set-up?

    For around the same price you can get a DLink NAS box and add a drive (or 2
    to give raid). It will also handle printer well.
    Power usage will be a lot less than a PC setup.
    J Brockley, May 2, 2009
  4. Southern Kiwi

    grum Guest

    geoff wrote:

    > Why not get a PC as you suggest, in a central location, stick a big HDD or
    > two in it, and hang your printer/s off it too.
    >
    > Hook it onto your router by cable, so it's always there, and full speed.
    >
    > It's called a 'server'.

    Geoff's onto it. A 2nd hand laptop is worth thinking about for this...
    lowish power consumption, quiet, compact, built-in battery backup,
    flexible power mode options (sleep etc), generally don't need heaps of
    processing grunt for a server.
    I use an old Mac Mini with a 750G external drive - it's essentially a
    laptop internally. Works great.
    You definitely want your server connected to the network by cable (not
    wireless). Reliability is the main reason, ability to use Wake On LAN
    could be another.
    Buy at least as much hard drive capacity again for backup. And keep it
    off site. If that seems excessive, imagine losing all those photos.
    grum, May 4, 2009
  5. In message <gtlfvs$c9r$>, grum wrote:

    > Buy at least as much hard drive capacity again for backup. And keep it
    > off site. If that seems excessive, imagine losing all those photos.

    For things like photos, tax records etc, I burn a set of CDs/DVDs and keep
    them at the bank. Every few months (or when I remember :)) I make a fresh
    set and go and swap them. Only costs a few bucks a year.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 4, 2009
  6. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > I have a wireless network at home running a mixture of XP & Vista Laptops.
    > The laptops are used at random by various family members and none of
    > them is left on 24/7
    >
    > I want to have a hard drive available 24/7 wirelessly for use by any of
    > the laptops. I intend to hold all commonly wanted data on the one drive
    > (pictures/videos/music etc)
    >
    > I have tried a usb external drive attached to the usb port on a Belkin
    > n+ wireless router with..errr..problematic results (drive nor found,
    > disappearing, slow transfer rates etc.
    >
    > Ethernet drives are still too expensive for me at the moment (over $500
    > for 1Tb) If I'm going to spend that sort of money I figure I might as
    > well buy a new desktop box.
    >
    > I am now considering buying a cheap second hand desktop computer off the
    > likes of Trademe, poking a wireless card in it so I can hide it away
    > somewhere to leave on 24/7.
    >
    > Any further ideas or advice appreciated
    >
    > Cheers
    > Southern Kiwi

    Thanks to those that replied FYI, I brought a new Laptop for myself,
    gave my old one to my wife and relegated her old one to act as the
    kids/server.

    Everything appears to be working as I hoped :)

    Cheers
    SK
    Southern Kiwi, May 4, 2009