Wireless Network Causing Crash

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RobDee, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. RobDee

    RobDee Guest

    After many hours of investigations & testing, I've narrowed down the cause
    of sudden crashes of my XP Pro Desktop computer to a Wireless issue.

    The desktop simply cuts out as if the power supply's been pulled. I've
    eliminated all sorts of likely causes (despite error codes suggesting
    graphics cards, I'm 99.99% sure it's not anything to do with that - still
    crashed after all drivers uninstalled) and now I've reached the stage where
    I can actually cause the crash to happen: All I have to do is go to My
    Network Places on the desktop computer and attempt to access any file on my
    Laptop - bang, not immediately, sometimes it takes a minute or two, but
    without doing this the computer *never* crashes!

    I have a small (4 machine) network via an ADSL Wireless Router. All machines
    have fixed IP addresses and previoulsy communicated without problems.

    The desktop machine is based on an ASUS mobo with built in Wireless - I've
    got the most recent drivers for everything.

    Any ideas as to what to do next?

    Rob

    RobDee, Apr 19, 2006

  2. Hi
    Thousands of hours with Wireless using more than hundred various devices,
    never experienced such a "story".
    My Conclusion it is the Asus Wireless Client, I would try Asus support
    first.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 20, 2006

  3. "RobDee" <> wrote in message
    > After many hours of investigations & testing, I've narrowed down the cause
    > of sudden crashes of my XP Pro Desktop computer to a Wireless issue.

    1) PSU is not giving full power could cause the problem.

    2) Drivers for the motherboard or the NIC could be it.

    3) CPU could be backing it in.

    4) CPU fan could be running slow and making CPU too hot.

    5) You could have a nearby hacker doing nasty things to you.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Apr 20, 2006
  4. RobDee

    RobDee Guest

    "Diamontina Cocktail" <> wrote in message

    > "RobDee" <> wrote in message
    >> After many hours of investigations & testing, I've narrowed down the
    >> cause of sudden crashes of my XP Pro Desktop computer to a Wireless
    >> issue.
    >>

    > 1) PSU is not giving full power could cause the problem.
    >
    > 2) Drivers for the motherboard or the NIC could be it.
    >
    > 3) CPU could be backing it in.
    >
    > 4) CPU fan could be running slow and making CPU too hot.
    >
    > 5) You could have a nearby hacker doing nasty things to you.

    Hi,
    The above were all things I investigated during the "many hours" mentioned.
    As it turns out, even after a complete reinstall of XP Pro, the problem
    wouldn't go away. This computer runs perfectly and even connects to the
    network via cable without problems. When I open a window to the network via
    wireless however, it crashes very soon after.
    An interesting problem, but I don't have time to mess around with it any
    longer. I installed a PCI wireless card and that works fine.
    Conclusion: Obviously directly related to the Asus onboard wireless (which
    as I said, has worked perfectly well until recently).

    Rob

    RobDee, Apr 21, 2006
  5. RobDee

    RobDee Guest

    > Hi
    > Thousands of hours with Wireless using more than hundred various devices,
    > never experienced such a "story".
    > My Conclusion it is the Asus Wireless Client, I would try Asus support
    > first.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thanks, you could well have been right Jack. Didn't have time to investigate
    any longer. Still same after reinstalling XP (see details in other
    response).
    Now working fine with a new PCI card and onboard wireless disabled.
    BTW in regard to your never having heard this before. I posted simiar
    requests in many locations and at least half a dozen others had similar
    issues (none with Asus onboard however).
    Rob

    RobDee, Apr 21, 2006
  6. RobDee

    swastip

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    TRENDnet Wireless Network card - internet crashing

    I have the same problem:

    I am having the same problem - I got a brand new computer with VIsta OS. I got this TRENDnet TEW wireless card from newegg yesterday
    I was trying to set it up. The internet comes up and after few minutes it crashes just like that - and then it tries to connect - comes back in few minutes and then crashes ...... Any suggestion for resolving the issue ?
    Patches, firmware update .;..
    It says it is compatible to Vista - (It has b,g and N technology)

    Help !!!

    swastip, Dec 17, 2008
  7. RobDee

    swastip