    it as I would not like to broadcast the SSID as a measure of security?

    Thanks,

    Scott
    Scott, May 2, 2010

  2. Scott

    John Holmes Guest

    The Big Ticket "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Scott wrote:
    >> I have a Netgear AP at home. A couple of laptop computers are
    >> connecting to the AP successfully. One of computers (Compaq NC6400)
    >> is intermittently connecting to the AP. At the end of day, I
    >> discover that boardcasting of SSID can improve connection rate for
    >> that computer. Is that computer configured something wrong to have
    >> such issue? Is there any way to correct it as I would not like to
    >> broadcast the SSID as a measure of security?
    >>

    > You can try a hard reset of the AP (reset button more than 5 seconds)
    > turn it off for a minute and turn it back on to see if that corrects
    > the problem. You can also flash the AP with its firmware as that too
    > can correct the problem of intermittent drop out of a computer.

    No need for the OP to do that. "A couple of laptop computers are

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, May 2, 2010

  3. Scott

    John Holmes Guest

    The Big Ticket "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> The Big Ticket "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> You can try a hard reset of the AP (reset button more than 5 seconds)
    >>> turn it off for a minute and turn it back on to see if that corrects
    >>> the problem. You can also flash the AP with its firmware as that too
    >>> can correct the problem of intermittent drop out of a computer.

    >> No need for the OP to do that. "A couple of laptop computers are
    >> connecting to the AP successfully."
    >>

    > I have found that doing the above has corrected the problem of one
    > computer not getting the wireless connection or dropping the connection
    > while other computers using the same AP were able to connect
    > successfully without dropping the connection.
    >
    > What does the OP have to loose in trying it?

    The settings of the AP.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, May 2, 2010
  4. The Big Ticket wrote:

    > What does the OP have to loose in trying it?

    It might get tight. Too tight for the other computers!

    --
    -bts
    -Could. Not. Resist.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2010
  5. The Big Ticket wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> The Big Ticket wrote:
    >>> What does the OP have to loose in trying it?

    >> It might get tight. Too tight for the other computers!

    > You don't even make sense here.

    Sorry you missed the humour. loose != lose

    http://tekrider.net/general/checker.php

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2010
  6. Scott

    John Holmes Guest

    The Big Ticket "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> The Big Ticket "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> I have found that doing the above has corrected the problem of one
    >>> computer not getting the wireless connection or dropping the
    >>> connection while other computers using the same AP were able to
    >>> connect successfully without dropping the connection.
    >>>
    >>> What does the OP have to loose in trying it?
    >>>

    >> The settings of the AP.
    >>

    > Like they can't be set again? If one is going to be network admin,
    > then he or she may have to pay the price.

    Sure they can be set again. But I wouldn't go trough the hassle of
    setting up a secured AP again, having to add all the MAC addresses of the
    trusted devices, and so on. Anyway, it's not a problem with the AP when
    other devices can connect just fine.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, May 2, 2010
  7. Scott

    John Holmes Guest

    The Big Ticket "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> The Big Ticket "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Like they can't be set again? If one is going to be network admin,
    >>> then he or she may have to pay the price.

    >> Sure they can be set again. But I wouldn't go trough the hassle of
    >> setting up a secured AP again, having to add all the MAC addresses of
    >> the trusted devices, and so on. Anyway, it's not a problem with the
    >> AP when other devices can connect just fine.
    >>

    > We'll agree to disagree, because I have helped users in
    > alt.internet.wireless who have faced the bullet on this with the
    > solution above that was successful when all else failed.
    >
    > The other thing the OP can do is get another wireless NIC and put it
    > into the machine, and if the problem doesn't follow, then the wireless
    > NIC may have a problem.

    Now you're talking sense.
    ;-)

    --