    transmitter/reciever first and see what the best thing around was. I'm
    interested in fixed location equipment, I don't need mobility. Thanks for
    any pointers.
    net, May 23, 2008

  2. net

    Paul Guest

    net wrote:
    > in aiming for the highest powered wireless device for a desktop pc it
    > occurrs to me there must be something better than the long-range pci and
    > pcmcia cards I've seen for sale. Is there such a device or are we all stuck
    > with these cards? I know about yagi antennas and such and I know the antenna
    > is important for range and power but I wanted to start with the
    > transmitter/reciever first and see what the best thing around was. I'm
    > interested in fixed location equipment, I don't need mobility. Thanks for
    > any pointers.

    Something you should investigate, before going further, is the FCC
    (or your local equivalent thereof), has rules for both unlicensed and
    licensed uses of the airwaves. That means, I cannot emit more than
    a certain power level, on my RF transmitter, unless I want to get
    in trouble. The rules are there, to allow the multiple users of these
    services, to all play together.

    http://www.ddj.com/architect/184411700

    If you use a wireless product, complete with original antenna, then
    you can be sure you're staying within the rules. That would be a PCI
    card with the antenna that came with the product, or a PCMCIA card
    with the antenna that came with the product. Not with an amplifier
    strapped to the thing, or large high gain antenna.

    The FCC may not be driving around in a truck, looking for trouble-makers.
    They'll instead be triggered by complaints. Say, for example, a local
    cellphone operator, is suffering service outages in your neighborhood.
    The FCC man comes to investigate, finds the offending transmitted frequencies,
    uses a few antenna trucks to triangulate the source. Then you get the
    knock on the door.

    I can give you a more concrete example. In my city, one day, all the garage
    door openers that operate on a certain RF frequency, stopped working. (Some
    people couldn't get their garage door open.) It was discovered, that a powerful
    transmitter was operating in the city. (One theory was, it was located on the
    roof of a certain embassy!) It took several days, before the problem "went away",
    without any details being released to the press about the offender. So, if
    there is an offense, like illegal power levels, used on an RF device, finding
    and tarring the individual takes time.

    If you want to read some amusing articles on Wifi and distance, try

    world's record wifi

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/19/venezuelans-set-new-wifi-distance-record-237-miles
    http://www.dailywireless.org/2003/01/06/worlds-longest-wi-fi-connection/

    I think I read an article in the past, about one of those mountain to
    mountain project, which went into some details, about things like
    whether the time constants in the standard protocol, allowed distances
    like that or not. And you can see in that picture, that they're using a
    pretty fancy high gain antenna.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, May 23, 2008

  3. net

    tg Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 00:04:10 +0100, "net"
    >

    > You may have better range with a mimo or 802.11n (external)
    > router operating in bridge mode, but of course having it
    > external is simply to allow better placement and aiming of
    > the antenna without the inherant loss of a longer RF
    > connecting cable to the antenna(e).

    <snip>

    okay thanks for your help kony. I think based on what you said a long range PCI card with
    external antenna is the best place to start.
    tg, May 25, 2008