    Firefox I get an "can't find address", if I use IE, same thing, Outlook
    Express gives me instant socket errors. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=, Oct 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    Quaoar Guest

    "Poppa Earl" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a laptop with an 802.11g PCMIA adapter that will connect to the
    > established network, can transfer files between clients but will not
    > connect
    > to the net or allow me to access my mail. I have gone through every
    > configuration option I can think of (setting manual ip address, using
    > and not
    > using XP to configure net, playing with firewall settings, etc.) and I
    > am
    > still stuck. I am using XP SP2 and am going slowly insane. The
    > computer is
    > virus and malware free and the connection to the base is 90-100%. If I
    > use
    > Firefox I get an "can't find address", if I use IE, same thing,
    > Outlook
    > Express gives me instant socket errors. Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Download winsockxpfix.exe (Google for it). This will repair the TCP/IP
    stack. Also check TCP/IP properties of the connection, Advanced button,
    Options tab, TCP/IP filtering properties button, if Enable filtering is
    checked, then select All ports and protocols instead of Select only.
    Then uncheck Enable filtering.

    Quaoar, Oct 23, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    John Guest

    Hi,

    Just to add to Quaoar's reply:

    Check your DNS settings (under TCP/IP Properties). See if you can ping
    www.google.com from the command line - if you can't then your DNS might
    be set incorrectly.

    John.

    John, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Still not working. I can manually set up an ip address and it looks like it
    works, packets sending and receiving, still no net though. If I set the
    tcp/ip to automatically assign address, it hangs and fails to assign. I have
    used the winsock fix, and am still stumped. Pings to the machine and from
    other machinrs timeout. I have two other laptops using the same settings
    (different addresses) and they work fine. I even swapped out and installed
    different cards and end up with the same problem. Thanks for the suggestions
    and any other info you might be able to provide.

    =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=, Oct 24, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    Quaoar Guest

    "Poppa Earl" <> wrote in message
    > Still not working. I can manually set up an ip address and it looks
    > like it
    > works, packets sending and receiving, still no net though. If I set
    > the
    > tcp/ip to automatically assign address, it hangs and fails to assign.
    > I have
    > used the winsock fix, and am still stumped. Pings to the machine and
    > from
    > other machinrs timeout. I have two other laptops using the same
    > settings
    > (different addresses) and they work fine. I even swapped out and
    > installed
    > different cards and end up with the same problem. Thanks for the
    > suggestions
    > and any other info you might be able to provide.
    >
    > "John" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Just to add to Quaoar's reply:
    >>
    >> Check your DNS settings (under TCP/IP Properties). See if you can
    >> ping
    >> www.google.com from the command line - if you can't then your DNS
    >> might
    >> be set incorrectly.
    >>
    >> John.

    Run the Wireless Networking Wizard (control panel). Sometimes just
    running this will clear up whatever is broken in the networking. In
    Device Manager are all of the relevant devices working properly? If you
    have a software firewall, put your local network in the firewall's
    trusted zone.

    Quaoar, Oct 27, 2005