    I've been thinking of DSE's cheap PCI and PC cards as they seem to be well
    speced and have a good warrentee.

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Russell Smithies

    steve Guest

    Russell Smithies wrote:

    > How good is using a PCI wireless card and a wireless PC card in a laptop
    > (both 802.11b) without an access point?
    > After all the trouble I've just had with a 3Com access point, I'd rather
    > try to do without.
    > The network is just going to be used around the house (15m max. range).
    > I've been thinking of DSE's cheap PCI and PC cards as they seem to be well
    > speced and have a good warrentee.
    >
    > Russell

    I have not got the DSE 802.11g AP and 802.11b PCI card to work together
    yet.....

    Card sees AP, but AP doesn't apear to see card.

    steve, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Russell Smithies

    Alan Chiew Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:17:50 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >Card sees AP, but AP doesn't apear to see card.

    Have you set up the AP from a PC?

    Alan Chiew, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Russell Smithies wrote:

    > How good is using a PCI wireless card and a wireless PC card in a laptop
    > (both 802.11b) without an access point?
    > After all the trouble I've just had with a 3Com access point, I'd rather try
    > to do without.
    > The network is just going to be used around the house (15m max. range).
    > I've been thinking of DSE's cheap PCI and PC cards as they seem to be well
    > speced and have a good warrentee.

    15m... hmmm hang on
    /me walks around the house... outside...
    seems to cover 15m

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Russell Smithies

    steve Guest

    Alan Chiew wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:17:50 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Card sees AP, but AP doesn't apear to see card.

    > Have you set up the AP from a PC?

    Yes....though it was a hassle as I had to reconfig one of the other systems
    so that it didn't use the default gateway (which is also my firewall). My
    firewall does not allow internal traffic to route back to internal via the
    external interface.

    I may have another try tonight.....

    steve, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Russell Smithies

    CollectorNZ Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Russell Smithies wrote:
    >
    >> How good is using a PCI wireless card and a wireless PC card in a laptop
    >> (both 802.11b) without an access point?
    >> After all the trouble I've just had with a 3Com access point, I'd
    >> rather try
    >> to do without.
    >> The network is just going to be used around the house (15m max. range).
    >> I've been thinking of DSE's cheap PCI and PC cards as they seem to be
    >> well
    >> speced and have a good warrentee.

    > 15m... hmmm hang on
    > /me walks around the house... outside...
    > seems to cover 15m

    Dave what brand /model are you using.

    BTW seems peaceful in this group have we got on top of the awrkward posters

    CollectorNZ, Feb 17, 2004
  7. Russell Smithies

    JJD Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:16:53 +1300, CollectorNZ
    <> wrote:

    >>> How good is using a PCI wireless card and a wireless PC card in a laptop
    >>> (both 802.11b) without an access point?
    >>> After all the trouble I've just had with a 3Com access point, I'd
    >>> rather try
    >>> to do without.
    >>> The network is just going to be used around the house (15m max. range).
    >>> I've been thinking of DSE's cheap PCI and PC cards as they seem to be
    >>> well
    >>> speced and have a good warrentee.

    >> 15m... hmmm hang on
    >> /me walks around the house... outside...
    >> seems to cover 15m
    >>

    >Dave what brand /model are you using.
    >
    >BTW seems peaceful in this group have we got on top of the awrkward posters

    No.

    JJD

    JJD, Feb 17, 2004
  8. CollectorNZ wrote:
    >> 15m... hmmm hang on
    >> /me walks around the house... outside...
    >> seems to cover 15m

    > Dave what brand /model are you using.

    Dlink 520+ in the main one, ummm unknown(sticker missing) dlink
    something in the other one.

    > BTW seems peaceful in this group have we got on top of the awrkward posters

    Seems that way... only ~90 posts since this morning rather than the
    usual 140

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 17, 2004
  9. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > CollectorNZ wrote:
    >>> 15m... hmmm hang on
    >>> /me walks around the house... outside...
    >>> seems to cover 15m

    >> Dave what brand /model are you using.

    > Dlink 520+ in the main one, ummm unknown(sticker missing) dlink
    > something in the other one.
    >
    >> BTW seems peaceful in this group have we got on top of the awrkward
    >> posters

    > Seems that way... only ~90 posts since this morning rather than the
    > usual 140

    I think we got everyone to use OEQuotefix :)

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Feb 17, 2004
  10. Russell Smithies wrote:
    >>Seems that way... only ~90 posts since this morning rather than the
    >>usual 140

    > I think we got everyone to use OEQuotefix :)

    sweet.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 17, 2004
  11. Russell Smithies

    CollectorNZ Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > CollectorNZ wrote:
    >
    >>> 15m... hmmm hang on
    >>> /me walks around the house... outside...
    >>> seems to cover 15m

    >> Dave what brand /model are you using.

    > Dlink 520+ in the main one, ummm unknown(sticker missing) dlink
    > something in the other one.
    >
    >> BTW seems peaceful in this group have we got on top of the awrkward
    >> posters

    > Seems that way... only ~90 posts since this morning rather than the
    > usual 140

    Um let me see if I have this right. Two Wifi cards will talk together
    without an accesspoint. I assume it is only works for two cards. I am
    still having trouble getting the idea of how this works care to expalin
    to an old geek like me. Is it secure?

    CollectorNZ, Feb 17, 2004
  12. Russell Smithies

    Miche Guest

    In article <mbkYb.46997$>,
    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:

    > T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > CollectorNZ wrote:

    > >> BTW seems peaceful in this group have we got on top of the awrkward
    > >> posters

    > > Seems that way... only ~90 posts since this morning rather than the
    > > usual 140

    > I think we got everyone to use OEQuotefix :)

    Some of us don't need OE Quotefix because we use real newsreaders. :)

    Miche

    --
    If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
    -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

    Miche, Feb 17, 2004
  13. CollectorNZ wrote:
    > Um let me see if I have this right. Two Wifi cards will talk together
    > without an accesspoint. I assume it is only works for two cards. I am
    > still having trouble getting the idea of how this works care to expalin
    > to an old geek like me. Is it secure?

    yep... good old promiscuous networking :)

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 17, 2004
  14. Russell Smithies

    CollectorNZ Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > CollectorNZ wrote:
    >
    >> Um let me see if I have this right. Two Wifi cards will talk together
    >> without an accesspoint. I assume it is only works for two cards. I am
    >> still having trouble getting the idea of how this works care to
    >> expalin to an old geek like me. Is it secure?

    > yep... good old promiscuous networking :)

    Does it help if I put a condom on the antenna

    CollectorNZ, Feb 17, 2004
  15. Russell Smithies

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:37:34 +1300, CollectorNZ
    <> had this to say:

    >Um let me see if I have this right. Two Wifi cards will talk together
    >without an accesspoint. I assume it is only works for two cards. I am
    >still having trouble getting the idea of how this works care to expalin
    >to an old geek like me. Is it secure?

    It's called "Ad Hoc" or "Peer to Peer" Mode. Essentially each node
    uses the same SSID and encryption key, and hence talk to each other.

    It is not quite as secure as an Access Point. Whilst you can still use
    128-bit WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) encryption, you cannot filter
    by MAC Address. A fully protected wireless network uses both.

    So, in short, yes it's about 95% as secure as an Access Point, which
    is pretty darn secure. In fact, probably more secure than most
    machines connected to the Internet, but that's another story...

    HTH.

    Gurble, Feb 17, 2004
  16. Russell Smithies

    steve Guest

    Alan Chiew wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:17:50 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Card sees AP, but AP doesn't apear to see card.

    > Have you set up the AP from a PC?

    I got new source code for the drivers and I got the card going. I'm using it
    now.

    :)

    steve, Feb 17, 2004
  17. CollectorNZ wrote:
    >> yep... good old promiscuous networking :)

    > Does it help if I put a condom on the antenna

    Strangly enough... if the Antenna lets water in, yeah, Condoms have been
    know to have been used, usually on external antenna though.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 17, 2004
  18. Russell Smithies

    Steven H Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:40:54 +1300, Miche wrote:

    just like a real operating system ea ;)

    Steven H .net Geek, Dunedin, New Zealand

    Steven H, Feb 17, 2004
  19. Russell Smithies wrote:
    > After all the trouble I've just had with a 3Com access point, I'd rather try
    > to do without.

    I've got a 3Com OfficeConnect AP up in the roof space. Not hugely
    impressed with the range/signal quality, but haven't yet been able to
    identify if that's due to the PC cards that I've been using as well
    (WLAN Cardbus.)

    With the 3Com, pointing one antenna vertical and one horizontal helped
    signal strength/connectivity issues a bit. Location in roof space
    helped a lot, but with a tin roof and a brick house, signal strength in
    the garage is somewhat lacking :)

    STF

    Stewart Fleming, Feb 18, 2004
  20. Stewart Fleming wrote:
    > Russell Smithies wrote:
    >> After all the trouble I've just had with a 3Com access point, I'd
    >> rather try to do without.

    > I've got a 3Com OfficeConnect AP up in the roof space. Not hugely
    > impressed with the range/signal quality, but haven't yet been able to
    > identify if that's due to the PC cards that I've been using as well
    > (WLAN Cardbus.)
    >
    > With the 3Com, pointing one antenna vertical and one horizontal helped
    > signal strength/connectivity issues a bit. Location in roof space
    > helped a lot, but with a tin roof and a brick house, signal strength
    > in the garage is somewhat lacking :)
    >
    > STF

    I ended up returning the whole package (access point and pc cards) because
    it kept dropping. I had it for about a week when everything stopped. It
    spent the next 2 weeks at Datawell getting "fixed". It came back with the
    same problems again. I spent hours on the phone to customer support who had
    me flashing firmware on everything but no luck.
    Gave up in disgust and returned the whole lot (to ascent) for credit.
    There's no way I should have to fix brand new equipment!!!
    Might try Dick Smiths cheap wireless gear because at lease they're local and
    I can return stuff without getting stung for freight.

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Feb 18, 2004