Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by No One Realy, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. No One Realy

    No One Realy Guest

    Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

    My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
    the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
    set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
    equipment.

    The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
    line of site.

    The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
    his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
    Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
    leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.

    Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
    to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
    the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
    house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
    to the PC in the shed.

    Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
    devices other than mouse and keyboards.

    Thanks for any help.
    No One Realy, Jul 28, 2005

  2. No One Realy

    Frankster Guest

    Obviously the best solution in this case is to move his wife into the shed.
    Save everyone a lot of hassle and expense. LOL!

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jul 28, 2005

  3. Re: Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed

    The PC in the house would have to be kept on in order for the other PC to be
    able to access the Internet. If his machine is quiet enough just switch off
    the screen and his missis would be none the wiser.
    --
    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=, Jul 28, 2005
  4. No One Realy

    Malke Guest

    Peter F wrote:

    > The PC in the house would have to be kept on in order for the other PC
    > to be able to access the Internet. If his machine is quiet enough just
    > switch off the screen and his missis would be none the wiser.

    The house PC does not need to be on if he is using a router. As for the
    range necessary, it may be fine without anything extra. Try it.
    Otherwise, check here:

    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

    Malke
    --