    Question is. Being the cheap sucker that I am; can I use my present
    wireless router ( which I won't need )on my second computer to receive
    and send? I suspect not; but anything is possible!
    Theslaz, Mar 23, 2009

  2. Theslaz

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    To share one Internet connection between few computers you need One modem
    and a Wireless Router.
    You have to explain better what you call Wireless modem is?
    If it is a Wireless Modem/Router and there are wire ports on it, you can
    connect computers with wire as well.
    Usually it would look like this (in the following the Modem and the Router
    are two boxes in your case it probably would be one box).
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Mar 23, 2009

  3. Theslaz

    John Guest

    If I understand you correctly, you already have a wireless router and you're
    getting another wireless router/modem combo from your ISP. The easy answer
    is:

    - Disable wireless feature on the new wireless modem
    - Connect your current wireless router to the modem

    You can then continue using your current wireless router.

    John, Mar 23, 2009
  4. Theslaz

    Theslaz Guest

    John wrote:
    > If I understand you correctly, you already have a wireless router and you're
    > getting another wireless router/modem combo from your ISP. The easy answer
    > is:
    >
    > - Disable wireless feature on the new wireless modem
    > - Connect your current wireless router to the modem
    >
    > You can then continue using your current wireless router.
    >
    > "Theslaz" <> wrote in message
    >> Getting a new Wireless modem from my ISP. I can hard wire my main desktop
    >> to the modem; however; my second computer does not have a wireless card. I
    >> don't know if the modem has a second port for another computer to be hard
    >> wired. I suspect not. ( don't have the modem yet ) I have two laptops that
    >> I'm presently using the wireless for.
    >>
    >> Question is. Being the cheap sucker that I am; can I use my present
    >> wireless router ( which I won't need )on my second computer to receive and
    >> send? I suspect not; but anything is possible!

    Sounds like what I'll do. Didn't realize one could disable the
    "Wireless" feature on a wireless modem! Like I said; I don't have it
    yet; just trying to make sure I know what I'll have to do to get all my
    computers working. ( not that cheap; would buy a wireless card if I had to )
    Theslaz, Mar 23, 2009
  5. Theslaz

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Some Wireless Routers can be used as a client Wireless card (can not tell
    you about yours cause I do not know what it is).
    If you just continue to use the current Wireless Router as the Wireless
    source, you have to change its configuration, otherwise you would have
    Double NAT and other troubles.
    Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Unfortunately it is hard to give comprehensive solution with skimpy info.
    BTW, Good Wireless cards are Not expensive,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Mar 23, 2009
  6. Theslaz

    Theslaz Guest

    Jack-MVP wrote:
    > Hi
    > Some Wireless Routers can be used as a client Wireless card (can not
    > tell you about yours cause I do not know what it is).
    > If you just continue to use the current Wireless Router as the Wireless
    > source, you have to change its configuration, otherwise you would have
    > Double NAT and other troubles.
    > Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > Unfortunately it is hard to give comprehensive solution with skimpy info.
    > BTW, Good Wireless cards are Not expensive,
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Theslaz" <> wrote in message
    >> John wrote:
    >>> If I understand you correctly, you already have a wireless router and
    >>> you're getting another wireless router/modem combo from your ISP. The
    >>> easy answer is:
    >>>
    >>> - Disable wireless feature on the new wireless modem
    >>> - Connect your current wireless router to the modem
    >>>
    >>> You can then continue using your current wireless router.
    >>>
    >>> "Theslaz" <> wrote in message

    >> Sounds like what I'll do. Didn't realize one could disable the
    >> "Wireless" feature on a wireless modem! Like I said; I don't have it
    >> yet; just trying to make sure I know what I'll have to do to get all
    >> my computers working. ( not that cheap; would buy a wireless card if I
    >> had to )

    Router is a D-Link D1-624. I'm in Canada; can't get those cheap prices
    on electronics up here. If I buy American; I get nailed with high
    shipping costs! Can get a good one for %50.00 at the local Memory
    Express store. Thats what I'll do if I can't configure something else.
    Theslaz, Mar 23, 2009
  7. Theslaz

    Theslaz Guest

    Jack-MVP wrote:
    > Hi
    > To share one Internet connection between few computers you need One
    > modem and a Wireless Router.
    > You have to explain better what you call Wireless modem is?
    > If it is a Wireless Modem/Router and there are wire ports on it, you can
    > connect computers with wire as well.
    > Usually it would look like this (in the following the Modem and the
    > Router are two boxes in your case it probably would be one box).
    > http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Theslaz" <> wrote in message
    >> Getting a new Wireless modem from my ISP. I can hard wire my main
    >> desktop to the modem; however; my second computer does not have a
    >> wireless card. I don't know if the modem has a second port for another
    >> computer to be hard wired. I suspect not. ( don't have the modem yet )
    >> I have two laptops that I'm presently using the wireless for.
    >>
    >> Question is. Being the cheap sucker that I am; can I use my present
    >> wireless router ( which I won't need )on my second computer to receive
    >> and send? I suspect not; but anything is possible!

    I thought a wireless modem was just that. Hard wired to the source and
    sends out a signal to how many computers you want. No need for a router.
    Except my two desktops don't have wireless cards; presently they are
    hard wired. The two laptops are wireless.
    Theslaz, Mar 23, 2009
  8. Theslaz

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Sorry but the D-Link line of 802.11g Wireless Routers can not be configured
    (or Flashed with 3rd party firmware) to act as a Wireless client card.
    I.e you would have to buy a new Wireless card or use a wired port.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Mar 24, 2009
  9. Theslaz

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    It depends on the Model, all of them have at least one wired port, some have
    four wired ports.
    All of them have at least One wire port since counting on Router's
    configuration through a Wireless connection is risky.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Mar 24, 2009
  10. Theslaz

    Theslaz Guest

    Frankster wrote:
    >> Getting a new Wireless modem from my ISP.

    > Qwest calls a cellular USB Wireless card adapter (carrier's own native
    > cell signal) a "wireless modem".
    >
    > Exactly what are you getting from your ISP?
    >
    > -Frank

    Got my new modem yesterday. Thursday. It can be used as a wireless; a
    modem that is hard wired or both. Working great. Got everything under
    control.

    Thanks for everyones info/replies.
    Theslaz, Mar 26, 2009