Wireless Media Servers-Mvix Ultio vs. NETGEAR EVA 9150 vs. Popcorn Hour C-200

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Daniel G., Oct 28, 2009.

  1. Daniel G.

    Daniel G. Guest

    Hello everyone,
    I'm looking for a replacement for my Mvix 760 HD. I do have a lot of
    video files but mostly would be playing music on the unit. The
    interface on the 760 HD for music was brutal. Out of the Netgear
    model, the Ultio and the PCH c 200, which has the best interface for
    playing music, i.e. different sorting methods, playlists and
    displaying song titles? The Ultio's specs sound good but I had very
    bad luck with my 760 HD and lousy tech support. The unit kept locking
    up and could only be reset by unplugging/plugging the power cord in.
    Mvix tech-support asked that I send the unit back sans power cord but
    after keeping it for about a month they then asked that I send the
    power cord to them. After another couple of weeks they finally sent me
    a new unit, this is the main reason I'm reluctant to buy an ULtio.
    That and the lousy music interface on the 760 HD. The netgear unit's
    specs sound nice but it doesn't do NAS, this isn't a deal killer but
    it would be nice to have. I'm really leaning towards the PCH but from
    what I've read so far it sounds like it doesn't have many features for
    playing music and is mainly geared for playing video. I noticed it
    does support a lot of audio codecs but again, I'd like to be sure it
    has enough features and a decent interface for playing music.

    Any info and/or recommendations are greatly appreciated, thanks!

    Daniel G., Oct 28, 2009

  2. Hi
    I am not sure why you are posting this in a Wireless Forum.
    We deal with the technical aspect of wireless and not with play list issues.
    As a side note I am not sure that any of the Wireless NAS' are ready for
    prime time to begin with. They are too slow, and unstable.
    Personally I use for this purpose a Windows Home Server with a wire network
    connection.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Oct 29, 2009