    which one should I get?

    Thanks,

    Brian
    Brian, Feb 10, 2008

  2. Brian

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:02:36 -0500, "Brian" <>
    wrote:

    >I have been using this router for a couple of years with 3 wired XP machines
    >with not too much trouble. I just got a new laptop (Acer) with vista and
    >have had nothing but trouble. I cannot get a good connection if I turn on
    >encryption. I get 1 maybe 2 bars. If I turn it off and connect back I get a
    >full signal. I tried upgrading the firmware from 1.50 to 1.52 and that
    >fails. What are my options here? For those of you who say trash this router
    >which one should I get?

    I say trash Vista. :)
    Evan Platt, Feb 10, 2008

  3. Brian

    Art Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > I have been using this router for a couple of years with 3 wired XP machines
    > with not too much trouble. I just got a new laptop (Acer) with vista and
    > have had nothing but trouble. I cannot get a good connection if I turn on
    > encryption. I get 1 maybe 2 bars. If I turn it off and connect back I get a
    > full signal. I tried upgrading the firmware from 1.50 to 1.52 and that
    > fails. What are my options here? For those of you who say trash this router
    > which one should I get?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brian

    For testing purposes you should be as close to the router as possible.
    10 ft or so would be great. My next thought would that the wireless card
    in the laptop is a piece of crap. Do you have access to any other laptop
    to test your wireless? Or access to another wireless network where you
    could test the new laptop?

    --
    Art
    Art, Feb 10, 2008
  4. Brian

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > I have been using this router for a couple of years with 3 wired XP
    > machines with not too much trouble. I just got a new laptop (Acer) with
    > vista and have had nothing but trouble. I cannot get a good connection if
    > I turn on encryption. I get 1 maybe 2 bars. If I turn it off and connect
    > back I get a full signal. I tried upgrading the firmware from 1.50 to 1.52
    > and that fails. What are my options here? For those of you who say trash
    > this router which one should I get?

    I find that the wireless card in the laptop is a piece of crap, when people
    have trouble using Vista and wireless. You should try to get a standalone
    USB wireless card and plug it into the laptop and see what happens. I have
    been in several hotels across the US with a HP laptop, a Intel Pro wireless
    card in it, and running Vista. I have had no problems with wireless.

    But time and time again, I see people posting problems about Vista and
    wireless laptop, when the reality I have shown them is that the wireless
    card in the laptop is a piece of crap and that is why they cannot connect or
    they are having other troubles with wireless.
    Mr. Arnold, Feb 10, 2008