Wireless link to router without cable modem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gregg, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Gregg

    Gregg Guest

    I bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and a WMP54GS wireless NIC so
    I would not have to run wires to my computer when I get broadband cable
    service. I have Windows XP.

    While waiting several days for for the ISP to activate the connection to
    my house, I thought I would see if I could get the wireless link between
    the PC and the router to work. I have not had much luck.

    Should it be possible for me to see the router through the wireless link
    the way I can through an ethernet cable? So far, all I get is a NIC icon
    with a red X on it in the tray. If I select "View Available Wireless
    Networks" from the icon menu, and then click "Refresh network list", it
    tells me "No wireless networks were found in range". I did set the
    channel in the device manager properties to the same as the router
    configuration.

    Is it necessary for there to be a live Internet connection on the other
    side of the router before the wireless part will work? The card works
    because I put it in a computer at work and it saw the wireless network
    there.

    Thanks.

    Gregg, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Greg,

    No, this network should work even though the link that connects to the
    internet is not present.

    The channel setting is not important. However, reviewing the documentation
    that came along with your router is important. You may need to update your
    driver as well, as the shipping drivers may be much older than the drivers
    avaialable from the manufacturer's website.

    Briefly,
    1) Connect with a cable to the router and attempt to login in to the
    management interface (typically a web page). Read the documentation for
    instructions about this.
    2) Make sure that the wireless portion of the router is enabled through this
    web page.
    3) Make sure you are within range of the access point.

    If you are still having problems, you may need to call tech support at
    Linksys. It would help that you knew that the wireless card already worked.
    Have you tried connecting to any public access points? If you had we would
    at least know that one side this network was working.

    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Dec 18, 2004

  3. Gregg

    Gregg Guest

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT] wrote:
    > Greg,
    >
    > No, this network should work even though the link that connects to the
    > internet is not present.
    >
    > The channel setting is not important. However, reviewing the documentation
    > that came along with your router is important. You may need to update your
    > driver as well, as the shipping drivers may be much older than the drivers
    > avaialable from the manufacturer's website.

    The driver on the linksys site is the same version that is on the CD
    that came with the card. I did, however, update the firmware on the
    router to no avail.

    > Briefly,
    > 1) Connect with a cable to the router and attempt to login in to the
    > management interface (typically a web page). Read the documentation for
    > instructions about this.
    > 2) Make sure that the wireless portion of the router is enabled through this
    > web page.

    I guess I did not mention that I had done this already. Here are the
    settings:

    Wireless network mode: Mixed (disabled, B-only, G-only)
    SSID: linksys
    SSID broadcast: enable
    Security Mode: disable
    Wireless MAC filter: disable
    Authentication type: Auto

    Other timing and protocol parameters set to various defaults.

    The first setting is what I would think enables the wireless mode, and
    that is set to the default Mixed. I also tried B-only and G-only.

    > 3) Make sure you are within range of the access point.

    The computer is three feet from the router. Could it be too close?

    > If you are still having problems, you may need to call tech support at
    > Linksys. It would help that you knew that the wireless card already worked.
    > Have you tried connecting to any public access points? If you had we would
    > at least know that one side this network was working.

    I verified that the card works by installing it in a computer at work.
    It immediately saw the wireless network there. I am thinking the card
    may not be compatible with my computer, which has an older 440BX-based
    Pentium II Asus P2B motherboard. I have seen reports of similar systems
    hanging at bootup, or the driver not finding the board, but I don't have
    either of those problems.

    I've already contacted tech support, but they seem not to want to help
    me until I get my cable Internet connection established, which has been
    delayed.

    Thanks for your help.

    Gregg

    Gregg, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Greg,

    This is the exact same problem that I had in setting up my system

    You are better to wait until your ISDP is installed then have your laptop
    handy to your desktop then call the Tech Line.

    When you are connected to the In tjernet they will walk you through the set
    up of the lap top to make sure the drivers are up to date then have you
    connect your lap top to the Router by a cab;le then direct you to their
    Internet wseb page where there is an automatic lilnk that sets the system up
    completely without you having to fiddle with it.

    It takes a bit of time but it is easier than trying to follow the man ual -
    believe me.

    let me know how you make out with it. It is a great system when ikt is
    hooked up and make SURE you have the Encryption activated.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VvZmYgQmFycmV0dA==?=, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Gregg

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    The Wireless LAN should work regardless of Internet connetion or ISP.
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Gregg

    Gregg Guest

    Gregg wrote:
    > I bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and a WMP54GS wireless NIC so
    > I would not have to run wires to my computer when I get broadband cable
    > service. I have Windows XP.
    >
    > While waiting several days for for the ISP to activate the connection to
    > my house, I thought I would see if I could get the wireless link between
    > the PC and the router to work. I have not had much luck.
    >
    > Should it be possible for me to see the router through the wireless link
    > the way I can through an ethernet cable? So far, all I get is a NIC icon
    > with a red X on it in the tray. If I select "View Available Wireless
    > Networks" from the icon menu, and then click "Refresh network list", it
    > tells me "No wireless networks were found in range". I did set the
    > channel in the device manager properties to the same as the router
    > configuration.
    >
    > Is it necessary for there to be a live Internet connection on the other
    > side of the router before the wireless part will work? The card works
    > because I put it in a computer at work and it saw the wireless network
    > there.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The problem turned out to be that the Linksys WMP54GS is not compatible
    with the PCI slots on older motherboards like my Asus P2B. I replaced
    the linksys adapter with a D-link DWL-G510 wireless G adapter, which has
    lower system requirements, and it worked the first time I tried.

    Thanks all.

    Gregg

    Gregg, Dec 19, 2004