Wireless link not established until user logins on Windows 2000 Server

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rob Nicholson, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. I'm building a Windows 2000 Server but it will be tucked away in a cupboard
    and wireless access is therefore preferable. I've built the server using a
    D-Link DWL-G510 Wireless NIC and it works fine EXCEPT that it appears that
    the wireless connection is only established when a user logs in. If I simply
    reboot the server and attempt to ping it from another PC, it doesn't
    respond. When you login, the "Network not connected" icon appears as well as
    the "No connection" icon on the wireless system tray application. A second
    or so later, the wireless connection establishes itself.

    I assume this is because the D-Link configuration tool (and therefore
    profile) only kicks in when the user logs in and doesn't run when sat at the
    login prompt.

    I've considered copying a pre-configured profile into the Default User
    profile - which I believe is in-use when a system is sat at the login
    prompt. Another alternative would be to load the D-Link config tool in the
    Winlogin registry key (can't remember the exact value right now).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, Rob.

    PS. This is a very low grade server :) Not too worried about speed...

    Rob Nicholson, Nov 29, 2005

  2. > I assume this is because the D-Link configuration tool (and therefore
    > profile) only kicks in when the user logs in and doesn't run when sat at
    > the
    > login prompt.

    Further reading suggests that this is the case and unless the manufacturer
    supplies a driver that loads and configures the wireless NIC during boot (as
    opposed to when a user logs in), then you are pretty much stuffed. The
    D-Link G510 doesn't do this - well certainly not with the driver I've got.
    The configuration utility is loaded in the all users startup folder. I'm
    pretty much sure this doesn't get executed at the login prompt.

    The configuration settings are stored in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE portion of
    the registry so I'm going to try loading the configuration utility in
    RunServices to see what happens!

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Nov 29, 2005

  3. > The configuration settings are stored in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE portion of
    > the registry so I'm going to try loading the configuration utility in
    > RunServices to see what happens!

    Ahh Windows 2000 services doesn't have a RunServices but it does have
    schedule tasks. So scheduled the Airplus.exe program to run on start-up and
    it works a treat. Except if you do happen to load the configuration utility
    and then exit it, it blue screens - oops :)

    Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Nov 29, 2005