wireless limitation get around?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kyote, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    I now have the Verizon wireless um175. The speed on it is acceptable.
    But the 5g limit I'm finding is not. I'm still on the trial so I'm not
    yet locked into the contract. But I have only a few days to make my
    decision now.

    With today's online media it is VERY easy I'm finding to go through
    5gigs rather quickly. 5gigs is the cap they have on their broadband
    access. Today is day 3 and I'm already a bit over 1gig and that's from
    me being frugal about my usage.

    I went to the Verizon website and did a live chat with an associate to
    ask a few questions. But since they work for Verizon I don't believe I
    can reply on the information they gave me. So here I am to ask if any
    non-verizon, knowledgeable people can verify this info for me.

    Their smart cell phone data package claims to be unlimited. So I asked
    if it was unlimited on down/uploads and they said yes, it is
    unlimited. Then I asked if I hooked the phone up to my computer, would
    my computer then have this unlimited access as well. To which they
    also said yes, it too would then have unlimited access. But that I
    would then have to have a phone capable of data. Also I would need a
    voice plan and a data plan which would run me a good bit more than
    just my data plan is costing, which isn't cheap either.

    But if I can get unlimited data it may well be worth it to me. So,
    does anyone know if they are correct on what they told me? If I tether
    my phone to my computer using it as a modem will my computer than have
    unlimited up/download access to the net? Also, will the speed be the
    same as using their um175?

    Kyote, Nov 18, 2008

  2. Kyote

    Paul Guest

    Kyote wrote:
    > I now have the Verizon wireless um175. The speed on it is acceptable.
    > But the 5g limit I'm finding is not. I'm still on the trial so I'm not
    > yet locked into the contract. But I have only a few days to make my
    > decision now.
    >
    > With today's online media it is VERY easy I'm finding to go through
    > 5gigs rather quickly. 5gigs is the cap they have on their broadband
    > access. Today is day 3 and I'm already a bit over 1gig and that's from
    > me being frugal about my usage.
    >
    > I went to the Verizon website and did a live chat with an associate to
    > ask a few questions. But since they work for Verizon I don't believe I
    > can reply on the information they gave me. So here I am to ask if any
    > non-verizon, knowledgeable people can verify this info for me.
    >
    > Their smart cell phone data package claims to be unlimited. So I asked
    > if it was unlimited on down/uploads and they said yes, it is
    > unlimited. Then I asked if I hooked the phone up to my computer, would
    > my computer then have this unlimited access as well. To which they
    > also said yes, it too would then have unlimited access. But that I
    > would then have to have a phone capable of data. Also I would need a
    > voice plan and a data plan which would run me a good bit more than
    > just my data plan is costing, which isn't cheap either.
    >
    > But if I can get unlimited data it may well be worth it to me. So,
    > does anyone know if they are correct on what they told me? If I tether
    > my phone to my computer using it as a modem will my computer than have
    > unlimited up/download access to the net? Also, will the speed be the
    > same as using their um175?

    Have a look around. There is bound to be someone with
    comments about the various plans and technologies. This
    thread is a bit old, so you'll need to look for something
    more recent.

    http://www.evdoforums.com/thread1235.html

    If you can find a router to use it with, then there is
    no reason for them to know it is being used for more than
    one computer. All that would matter, is whether there is a
    cap on the usage or not. Multiple computers make it that
    much more likely to hit the cap. (If providers wanted,
    I think they could take a stab at detecting how many
    computers are using a service, but at the moment, they're
    content to use the "cap" as a control mechanism. That,
    and detecting torrent traffic and throttling it :) )

    http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2421/64/

    If you decided to run a web server, the port used by
    the web service would be a dead giveaway. Even moving
    to a different port number, the equipment they use now
    is quite capable of detecting http traffic. I read an
    account by someone, who had a certain type of traffic
    detected by the ISP and blocked, dynamically. He tried
    changing the port number, and that was blocked too. But
    the next day, when he tested again, at first it worked.
    So for disallowed services, the equipment can automatically
    analyze the protocol, and decide to block it, in the
    cases where a "server" setup is being attempted.

    When I got ADSL, the usage model of my provider, was
    assuming one computer was connected directly to the modem.
    I've had a router connected to it, ever since I got it.
    The only reason they don't mention routers and multiple
    computers in their offering, is they don't want to provide
    tech support to all those people who don't know how to set
    up a router. In cases where a router is bundled with the
    service (comes in the equipment box), the bill per month
    is likely higher, and not just to pay for the router either.
    The router would mean more tech support phone calls
    ("how do I set up my Quake server").

    I think the Verizon live chat people haven't explained their
    plans in enough detail. And you should query them about
    whether any Verizon customers have been disconnected from
    the wireless service, because of their usage pattern.
    If the agent admits they've canceled service, then
    you should try to get details about what constitutes
    "abuse". There is nothing worse than an "unlimited" service,
    with a very real limit placed on it. The limit should be
    in writing (but seldom is).

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 18, 2008

  3. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    Thank you for the reply Paul. I'll be sure to question the sales
    associate thoroughly when I check out their phones and plans.

    Kyote, Nov 19, 2008