    don't know if I need to turn it on so to speak or it it just isn't
    working right) It's an Advent 7012 and a Netgear router - The router
    appears fine as in the correct lights are on (wireless light etc)

    macson, Oct 11, 2007

  2. macson

    Gordon Guest

    "macson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In short I now have a new wireless router that appears to work fine.
    > My laptop is able to connect via a wire to it but when I try to
    > connect to it wirelessly it says no signal in the area - make sure
    > your wireless is enabled. Am I missing something on the laptop (it
    > appears all is working correctly?) but no signal found. Do I need to
    > change a setting on the computer to enable wireless (software for the
    > router has been installed and Yes it does have a wireless card but I
    > don't know if I need to turn it on so to speak or it it just isn't
    > working right) It's an Advent 7012 and a Netgear router - The router
    > appears fine as in the correct lights are on (wireless light etc)

    Laptops usually come with the Wireless disabled - you need to consult your
    User Manual as to how to turn it on...

    Gordon, Oct 11, 2007

  3. macson

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-10-11, Gordon <> wrote:
    > "macson" <> wrote in message
    >> In short I now have a new wireless router that appears to work fine.
    >> My laptop is able to connect via a wire to it but when I try to
    >> connect to it wirelessly it says no signal in the area - make sure
    >> your wireless is enabled. Am I missing something on the laptop (it
    >> appears all is working correctly?) but no signal found. Do I need to
    >> change a setting on the computer to enable wireless (software for the
    >> router has been installed and Yes it does have a wireless card but I
    >> don't know if I need to turn it on so to speak or it it just isn't
    >> working right) It's an Advent 7012 and a Netgear router - The router
    >> appears fine as in the correct lights are on (wireless light etc)

    > Laptops usually come with the Wireless disabled - you need to consult your
    > User Manual as to how to turn it on...

    There's probably a switch or button somewhere; there is on most laptops.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Oct 11, 2007
  4. macson wrote:
    > In short I now have a new wireless router that appears to work fine.
    > My laptop is able to connect via a wire to it but when I try to
    > connect to it wirelessly it says no signal in the area - make sure
    > your wireless is enabled. Am I missing something on the laptop (it
    > appears all is working correctly?) but no signal found. Do I need to
    > change a setting on the computer to enable wireless (software for the
    > router has been installed and Yes it does have a wireless card but I
    > don't know if I need to turn it on so to speak or it it just isn't
    > working right) It's an Advent 7012 and a Netgear router - The router
    > appears fine as in the correct lights are on (wireless light etc)

    Since you didn't mention it specifically, I'll ask a stupid question.
    Have you enabled wireless in the router? Many these days are disabled by
    default. Once you get the connection working, then implement security
    measures.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 11, 2007