    What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the wireless must be
    able to connect to the internet, and also to the other machines on the
    ethernet network.
    jonas, Dec 18, 2003

  2. jonas

    steve Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:32:08 +1300, jonas wrote:

    > I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have three
    > computers connected to. However I want to move one of these machines to
    > another part of the house and want to use wireless for the network.
    > What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the wireless must be
    > able to connect to the internet, and also to the other machines on the
    > ethernet network.

    You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.

    If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
    sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
    even easier. :)
    steve, Dec 18, 2003

  3. jonas

    jonas Guest

    steve wrote:

    > You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.
    >
    > If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
    > sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
    > even easier. :)

    Not much chance of that, the nearest house is over 1/2 km away :)
    Also what sort of pings should I expect, as I like to paly multiplayer
    over the internet higher than 10ms is not acceptable.
    jonas, Dec 18, 2003
  4. jonas

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    And what cheap 802.11b equipment are you referring to?

    all *cheap* equipment I can find as encryption.

    -{-astrae-}-, Dec 18, 2003
  5. jonas

    Darren Guest

    The only thing different between 802.11b and 802.11g is the g is much
    faster....
    all have encryption....

    Darren, Dec 18, 2003
  6. jonas

    T.N.O. Guest

    steve wrote:
    > You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.
    > If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
    > sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
    > even easier. :)

    you can lock down 11b... you just gotta know how, and following almost
    any of the guides online make it simple.
    T.N.O., Dec 18, 2003
  7. jonas

    T.N.O. Guest

    jonas wrote:
    > Not much chance of that, the nearest house is over 1/2 km away :)
    > Also what sort of pings should I expect, as I like to paly multiplayer
    > over the internet higher than 10ms is not acceptable.

    higher than 10 is not acceptable, you'll have ~30 on jeststream at present.
    T.N.O., Dec 18, 2003
  8. jonas

    T.N.O. Guest

    Darren wrote:
    > The only thing different between 802.11b and 802.11g is the g is much
    > faster....
    > all have encryption....

    G also has less range(in theory)
    T.N.O., Dec 18, 2003
  9. jonas

    jonas Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > jonas wrote:
    >
    >> Not much chance of that, the nearest house is over 1/2 km away :)
    >> Also what sort of pings should I expect, as I like to paly multiplayer
    >> over the internet higher than 10ms is not acceptable.

    > higher than 10 is not acceptable, you'll have ~30 on jeststream at present.

    but 30+10=40
    jonas, Dec 18, 2003
  10. jonas

    steve Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:31:15 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.
    >> If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
    >> sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
    >> even easier. :)

    > you can lock down 11b... you just gotta know how, and following almost
    > any of the guides online make it simple.

    Yes....a competent person can do it.

    But the other 98% should be using 802.11g. :)
    steve, Dec 18, 2003
  11. jonas

    steve Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:35:08 +1300, -{-astrae-}- wrote:

    > And what cheap 802.11b equipment are you referring to?
    >
    > all *cheap* equipment I can find as encryption.

    DSE....they assure me there is no encryption. Maybe they lied.
    steve, Dec 18, 2003
  12. jonas

    JedMeister Guest

    Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would include the
    required configuration, and possible hardware recommendations. (Wi-fi
    supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).

    JedMeister, Dec 18, 2003
  13. "steve" <> wrote in message
    >>> You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.
    >>> If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
    >>> sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
    >>> even easier. :)

    >> you can lock down 11b... you just gotta know how, and following almost
    >> any of the guides online make it simple.

    > Yes....a competent person can do it.
    >
    > But the other 98% should be using 802.11g. :)

    How come? 802.11g doesn't magically make anymore secure than 802.11b
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 18, 2003
  14. "steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:35:08 +1300, -{-astrae-}- wrote:
    >
    >> And what cheap 802.11b equipment are you referring to?
    >>
    >> all *cheap* equipment I can find as encryption.

    > DSE....they assure me there is no encryption. Maybe they lied.

    Maybe they have no idea and guessed.

    Maybe its a conspiracy
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 18, 2003
  15. jonas

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:31:15 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    > > steve wrote:
    > >> You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.
    > >> If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
    > >> sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
    > >> even easier. :)

    > > you can lock down 11b... you just gotta know how, and following almost
    > > any of the guides online make it simple.

    > Yes....a competent person can do it.
    >
    > But the other 98% should be using 802.11g. :)

    Well bugger me, and I thought that g was just a speed difference. I
    thought it was things like WEP (pretty crap), WPA, 802.11i and 802.1x
    that gave auth and crypto. Also there are options for locking down by
    mac addy in most APs.

    --

    Chris
    ChrisOD, Dec 18, 2003
  16. jonas

    harry Guest

    JedMeister wrote:

    > "jonas" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have
    >> three computers connected to. However I want to move one of these
    >> machines to another part of the house and want to use wireless for
    >> the network. What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the
    >> wireless must be able to connect to the internet, and also to the
    >> other machines on the ethernet network.

    > Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would
    > include the required configuration, and possible hardware
    > recommendations. (Wi-fi supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).

    He needs an access point plugged into the built in ethernet switch and set
    up using encryption.
    harry, Dec 18, 2003
  17. jonas

    harry Guest

    steve wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:35:08 +1300, -{-astrae-}- wrote:
    >
    >> And what cheap 802.11b equipment are you referring to?
    >>
    >> all *cheap* equipment I can find as encryption.

    > DSE....they assure me there is no encryption. Maybe they lied.

    I can't believe that you could remain ignorant of the text in the catalogue
    on the box and everywhere else they usually put it.

    "
    Proven Technology
    Using 2.4GHz Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) technology, this card
    transfers data at speeds up to 11Mbps. It supports 64/128-bits Wired
    Equivalent Protection (WEP) algorithm for added network security. Both
    Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure modes are supported.

    "
    harry, Dec 18, 2003
  18. jonas

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:40:57 +1300, Darren wrote:

    > all have encryption....

    Depending on how you define 'encryption'.

    It would be ok for most but to be safer, you might want to add ssh or
    IPSec or something else over the top of that.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Dec 18, 2003
  19. jonas

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <rngEb.33034$>,
    says...
    > Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would include the
    > required configuration, and possible hardware recommendations. (Wi-fi
    > supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).
    >

    > "jonas" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have three
    > > computers connected to. However I want to move one of these machines to
    > > another part of the house and want to use wireless for the network.
    > > What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the wireless must be
    > > able to connect to the internet, and also to the other machines on the
    > > ethernet network.

    I use a similar set up at home.
    I have a 3com g AP and it works fine.
    I use 128 bit WEP cos until the last few days XP's support of WPA was
    flakey, will have to change that now. I also lock down by MAC addy.

    I just plugged the AP into the switch and bingo it went. I use dhcpd on
    my linux box not my DSL router, I do this for a number of reasons,
    including "static IP" for my laptop. Cos I can't be arsed fiddling with
    my Network CPL, every time I come home from work. So your results may
    vary.

    I also use the 3com card in my lappy.
    --

    Chris
    ChrisOD, Dec 18, 2003
  20. jonas

    jonas Guest

    harry wrote:
    > JedMeister wrote:
    >
    >>"jonas" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have
    >>>three computers connected to. However I want to move one of these
    >>>machines to another part of the house and want to use wireless for
    >>>the network. What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the
    >>>wireless must be able to connect to the internet, and also to the
    >>>other machines on the ethernet network.

    >>Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would
    >>include the required configuration, and possible hardware
    >>recommendations. (Wi-fi supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).
    >>

    > He needs an access point plugged into the built in ethernet switch and set
    > up using encryption.

    Thank you, for this answer :) .
    Also, would I notice any difference between 11b and 11g as far as ping
    goes, and would 11g work at full speed over a distance of ~30m through
    two walls and some glass?
    jonas, Dec 18, 2003