Wireless LAN speed

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Clark, May 24, 2005.

  1. Clark

    Clark Guest

    I, like many folks these days, have a setup where a Linksys wireless router
    is being used for LAN with a wireless laptop and a wired desktop. The
    reason I started looking at this was because moving files from the desktop
    to the laptop was very slow it seemed. I have done some research and was
    wondering if anyone would know if there was a problem and what might be
    causing it.

    Both computers using WinXP Pro SP2
    Dell Laptop with Intel 2100 MiniPC wireless adaptor
    Desktop has Intel motherboard with built in adaptor.

    Since the results are different depending which way I go, I will give the
    information when going from the laptop to the desktop and vice versa.

    Wireless Laptop to wired Desktop---
    Ping 8-12 ms
    Tracert: 1 3ms 3ms 3ms

    Wired Desktop to Wireless Laptop---
    Ping 45-297ms Avg 183ms
    Tracert: 1 263ms 3ms 4ms
    (First number varies all over, as does the ping results)

    It seems to me that the packets are getting caught in some loop or perhaps
    some type of checking is going on.

    I ran these tests with and without firewalls and WEP on. When I hardwired
    the Laptop the results were 1ms pings, which would lead me to believe it is
    a wireless reception problem by the laptop, but I don't really understand
    the tracert command.

    If it would help any, when I ping 4 packets, there is always one that shows
    around 15ms but the rest are much higher.

    Thanks for any guidance,
    Clark
    Clark, May 24, 2005

  2. Can you check the power management setting of wireless card on your laptop?
    If power management is enabled, the ping from desktop to laptop would be
    slow but the other direction would be OK.

    Zhong Deng [MSFT], May 25, 2005

  3. Clark

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    You might want to actually measure the speed of File transfer.
    Frame of reference here: http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), May 25, 2005
  4. Clark

    Clark Guest

    Well, I have been working on this thing all day. I have taken the wireless
    Intel adapter out and reinstalled everything using the latest drivers from
    Dell. None of that seemed to do any good. I finally went to the Intel site
    and found a driver and controller for the unit and installed that. The
    latest ping was in the 4-5 ms range, which is where I expected it to be.

    I checked the power setting and it was set at max performance. I did not
    actually check the speed, but if I could ping this new laptop and get and
    230ms return and then ping an old Compaq with a linksys WPC11 Wireless card
    and get 4-5 ms, I knew something wasn't right with Intel Pro/Wireless LAN
    2100 3A Mini PC Adapter.

    I may have had some setting wrong, or maybe there were too many controllers
    on the card, but I will go with the Intel drivers solving the problem. I
    will try moving some files tomorrow, but hopefully it won't take me 10
    minutes to move a few mp3 files.

    Thanks,
    Clark

    Clark, May 25, 2005
  5. "Clark" wrote:
    > Well, I have been working on this thing all day. I have taken the wireless
    > Intel adapter out and reinstalled everything using the latest drivers from
    > Dell. None of that seemed to do any good. I finally went to the Intel site
    > and found a driver and controller for the unit and installed that.

    This is not good... The drivers on Intel site are generic.
    They create custom versions for Dell and other PC makers, that
    use special features of the machine - including power management.
    If you believe that the custom Dell version is flawed, try to solve this
    issue with Dell and Intel support.

    Regards,
    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, May 25, 2005