    whereas with hard wired LAN connections, it takes about 5 seconds. The other
    applications such as Internet , file access are acceptable if a bit slower.
    Is this to be expected or can I improve things in any way??
    -keevillus-, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Hi,

    What operating System are the clients running? Windows 2000? I have had a
    similar issue with running issues over the wireless, its un workable. I am
    currently setting up a PC with win XP SP2 to run some tests. In a room of 30
    PC's there are a number of clients running XP and these don't seem to be
    having the same problems. XP seems to be able to deal with wireless signals
    more intelligently.

    I will update you with my testing.

    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBDbGFya2U=?=, Dec 22, 2005

  3. -keevillus-

    GTS Guest

    It is to be expected and you may be able to improve things, but intensive
    data base operations can be a significant problem with wireless. One of my
    clients (a medical office) was trying to use wireless for data intensive
    software including digitalized X-Rays and just had to bite the bullet and
    get the office wired to get acceptable throughput and end the repeated
    problems of data corruption as well as glacially slow performance.

    What kind of wireless equipment are you using? 802.11g all around? How
    good is the signal at the workstations? You might consider trying some of
    the pre-N MIMO units which may have better throughput even with 11g at the
    workstations. Ultimately the 802.11n standard with new APs and WNICs all
    around could be the solution, but that's some tie off yet and would require
    a significant investment. You would be far better off if you were using a
    client server data base. An Access file that large is going to involve a
    huge amount of network traffic. Migrating that application to SQL server
    would highly desirable.

    GTS, Dec 22, 2005