Wireless LAN and Ethernet LAN in one XP machine

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEV2ZXJldHQ=?=, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. Hi
    I have an XP machine running ICS (internet is ADSL modem on USB). It has an
    ethernet NIC connected via crossover to a 98SE machine. All is sweet. File
    sharing and web access all works great.

    I now have a USB Wireless adapter on the XP machine and about to instal a
    wireless PCMCIA card in a laptop (do I really need three pcs?). I have no
    router so will config as Ad-Hoc.

    Q1. Will XP allow both LANs to use ICS, ie internet access for the laptop?

    Q2. I think I need static IP for the adhoc WLAN. Do I just pick any number
    in the range 192.168.1.1-254 for the WLAN connections? I assume these have
    no affect on the other LAN as it does dynamic IP addressing.

    Q3. If Q1 is yes, Do I set the default gateway on the laptop to the IP
    address I picked for the XP machine's WLAN connection in Q2?

    Q4. I don't know DNS servers IP addresses. Can I find this out by looking
    at current internet connection, or can I just use automatic DNS like that
    cionnection does?

    Thanks very much.

    =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEV2ZXJldHQ=?=, Mar 9, 2006

  2. On the XP/ICS machine bridge the LAN connections:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309640/en-us

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Mar 9, 2006