    possible?

    thanks

    will.

    will, Oct 12, 2003

  2. will

    Allistar Guest

    will wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
    > keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
    > LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
    > in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
    > possible?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    It would be nice if there was, and you can do it with the keyboard and
    mouse, but the amount of data sent down the VGA/DVI cable is huge and would
    probably make doing that impractical (unless you have a wireless network
    and use the network transparency built into the X window system).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 12, 2003

  3. will

    Jay Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > will wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
    >> keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
    >> LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
    >> in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
    >> possible?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> will.

    > It would be nice if there was, and you can do it with the keyboard and
    > mouse, but the amount of data sent down the VGA/DVI cable is huge and
    > would probably make doing that impractical (unless you have a wireless
    > network and use the network transparency built into the X window system).

    But if you modulate the video with an RF carrier then it becomes
    perfectly manageable. You have heard of (digital) TV haven't you?

    Jay, Oct 12, 2003
  4. will

    will Guest

    will, Oct 12, 2003
  5. will

    harry Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:13:22 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > will wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
    >> keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
    >> LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
    >> in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
    >> possible?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> will.

    > It would be nice if there was, and you can do it with the keyboard and
    > mouse, but the amount of data sent down the VGA/DVI cable is huge and would
    > probably make doing that impractical (unless you have a wireless network
    > and use the network transparency built into the X window system).
    >
    > Allistar.

    I do it with wireless and a laptop with vnc and rdesktop.
    Thats Linux on vnc and Windows XP on rdesktop Allistar, so STFU with the
    Windows vs Linux bullshit ;-)
    I use a SH Dell 12" screen 266MHz laptop running 98 cheap and cheerful.
    Or you can build a low noise CPU box with a via eden mobo available from
    most vendors.

    harry, Oct 12, 2003
  6. Jay wrote:

    > But if you modulate the video with an RF carrier then it becomes
    > perfectly manageable. You have heard of (digital) TV haven't you?

    Which has the shit compressed out of it so the end result is barely recognisable
    as what went into the compression process.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Oct 12, 2003
  7. will

    Jay Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >
    >> But if you modulate the video with an RF carrier then it becomes
    >> perfectly manageable. You have heard of (digital) TV haven't you?

    > Which has the shit compressed out of it so the end result is barely
    > recognisable as what went into the compression process.

    You can transmit uncompressed video if you modulate it on an RF carrier.
    A bandwith of 150MHz would do quite nicely.
    You can also use lossless compression to make that a lot lot less. Typically
    about 20Mhz.

    Jay, Oct 12, 2003
  8. will

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:29:48 +1300, will wrote:

    > is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
    > keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
    > LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
    > in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
    > possible?

    If you do find one, please tell us where you live, so some of us can park
    outside your house, sniff the datastream, log your keystrokes and screen
    images, and get your credit card details.

    Evil Bastard, Oct 12, 2003
  9. will

    Jay Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:29:48 +1300, will wrote:
    >
    >> is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
    >> keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
    >> LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
    >> in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
    >> possible?

    > If you do find one, please tell us where you live, so some of us can park
    > outside your house, sniff the datastream, log your keystrokes and screen
    > images, and get your credit card details.

    Looks like we will have to wait for encryption to be invented.

    Jay, Oct 13, 2003
  10. Jay wrote:

    > You can transmit uncompressed video if you modulate it on an RF carrier.
    > A bandwith of 150MHz would do quite nicely.
    > You can also use lossless compression to make that a lot lot less. Typically
    > about 20Mhz.

    At what resolution? We are talking computer, not TV here.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Oct 13, 2003
  11. will

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:41:39 +1000, Jay wrote:

    > Evil Bastard wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:29:48 +1300, will wrote:
    >>
    >>> is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
    >>> keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
    >>> LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
    >>> in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
    >>> possible?

    >> If you do find one, please tell us where you live, so some of us can park
    >> outside your house, sniff the datastream, log your keystrokes and screen
    >> images, and get your credit card details.

    > Looks like we will have to wait for encryption to be invented.

    Quite often the crypto on those devices is lame as

    Evil Bastard, Oct 13, 2003
  12. will

    Jay Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >
    >> You can transmit uncompressed video if you modulate it on an RF carrier.
    >> A bandwith of 150MHz would do quite nicely.
    >> You can also use lossless compression to make that a lot lot less.
    >> Typically about 20Mhz.

    > At what resolution? We are talking computer, not TV here.

    About 1280 x 1024

    Jay, Oct 13, 2003
  13. Jay wrote:
    > Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Jay wrote:
    >>
    >>> You can transmit uncompressed video if you modulate it on an RF
    >>> carrier. A bandwith of 150MHz would do quite nicely.
    >>> You can also use lossless compression to make that a lot lot less.
    >>> Typically about 20Mhz.

    >> At what resolution? We are talking computer, not TV here.

    > About 1280 x 1024

    1280x1024, 24-bit colour, 60hz is 225 megabytes per second.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 13, 2003
  14. will

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > > About 1280 x 1024

    > 1280x1024, 24-bit colour, 60hz is 225 megabytes per second.

    hmmm, might have to make me a vga network, ugly cables though... :)

    T.N.O., Oct 13, 2003
  15. will

    Jay Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >> Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

    >>> At what resolution? We are talking computer, not TV here.

    >> About 1280 x 1024

    > 1280x1024, 24-bit colour, 60hz is 225 megabytes per second.

    Not if you use lossless compression.
    Adjacent pixels are often identical.

    Jay, Oct 14, 2003
  16. Evil Bastard wrote:

    >>Looks like we will have to wait for encryption to be invented.

    > Quite often the crypto on those devices is lame as

    the ones in keyboards are just a key added to the transmittion so that the
    reciever knows that its from the right keyboard, they dont offer security at all.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Oct 15, 2003
  17. will

    larry Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

    > Evil Bastard wrote:
    >

    >>>Looks like we will have to wait for encryption to be invented.

    >> Quite often the crypto on those devices is lame as

    > the ones in keyboards are just a key added to the transmittion so that the
    > reciever knows that its from the right keyboard, they dont offer security
    > at all.

    That isn't encryption then is it.

    larry, Oct 15, 2003