    is a PC running XP Pro)

    Anyone know of something suitable?

    Ron
    Ron McNulty, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Ron McNulty

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Ron McNulty wrote:
    > I've just replaced my 7 year old laptop, and the new one has I/R, Bluetooth
    > and WiFi. I'm looking for a standard size wireless keyboard and mouse for
    > desktop use. But everything I have found so far uses a separate receiver and
    > takes up a USB port.
    >
    > With all those wireless technologies built in, surely there is a keyboard
    > and mouse that will chat directly to the PC. (Found one for a MAC, but this
    > is a PC running XP Pro)
    >
    > Anyone know of something suitable?
    >
    > Ron

    I have the (older model) Microsoft Bluetooth K/B and Mouse which work
    well on the built in Bluetooth on the Dell I have. The new models
    apparently are a lot easier on batteries. MS do supply a USB Bluethooth
    transceiver but I've never used it. I have read of people using them on
    other PC's for other hardware OK. The logitech model at the time used a
    USB transceiver that also doubled up as the charger for the mouse. The
    MS mouse uses batteries.

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> I've just replaced my 7 year old laptop, and the new one has I/R,
    >> Bluetooth
    >> and WiFi. I'm looking for a standard size wireless keyboard and mouse for
    >> desktop use. But everything I have found so far uses a separate
    >> receiver and
    >> takes up a USB port.
    >>
    >> With all those wireless technologies built in, surely there is a keyboard
    >> and mouse that will chat directly to the PC. (Found one for a MAC, but
    >> this
    >> is a PC running XP Pro)
    >>

    > I have the (older model) Microsoft Bluetooth K/B and Mouse which work
    > well on the built in Bluetooth on the Dell I have. The new models
    > apparently are a lot easier on batteries. MS do supply a USB Bluethooth
    > transceiver but I've never used it. I have read of people using them on
    > other PC's for other hardware OK. The logitech model at the time used a
    > USB transceiver that also doubled up as the charger for the mouse. The
    > MS mouse uses batteries.

    Yes its called the Microsoft® Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth

    Make sure to get the 2nd generation model (you can tell as the keyboard
    has a scroll wheel on the left hand side as on
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...ovr&pcid=76e91501-ff1c-44cf-947f-003f3fe25a8c
    ) which has much better battery life than the original one available
    last year
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Ron McNulty

    JedMeister Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>> I've just replaced my 7 year old laptop, and the new one has I/R,
    >>> Bluetooth
    >>> and WiFi. I'm looking for a standard size wireless keyboard and mouse
    >>> for
    >>> desktop use. But everything I have found so far uses a separate receiver
    >>> and
    >>> takes up a USB port.
    >>>
    >>> With all those wireless technologies built in, surely there is a
    >>> keyboard
    >>> and mouse that will chat directly to the PC. (Found one for a MAC, but
    >>> this
    >>> is a PC running XP Pro)
    >>>

    >> I have the (older model) Microsoft Bluetooth K/B and Mouse which work
    >> well on the built in Bluetooth on the Dell I have. The new models
    >> apparently are a lot easier on batteries. MS do supply a USB Bluethooth
    >> transceiver but I've never used it. I have read of people using them on
    >> other PC's for other hardware OK. The logitech model at the time used a
    >> USB transceiver that also doubled up as the charger for the mouse. The
    >> MS mouse uses batteries.

    > Yes its called the Microsoft® Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth
    >
    > Make sure to get the 2nd generation model (you can tell as the keyboard
    > has a scroll wheel on the left hand side as on
    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...ovr&pcid=76e91501-ff1c-44cf-947f-003f3fe25a8c )
    > which has much better battery life than the original one available last
    > year

    Or, wait for generation 3, it has even better battery life.
    JedMeister, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Ron McNulty

    JohnO Guest

    "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message

    receiver

    > >> I have the (older model) Microsoft Bluetooth K/B and Mouse which work
    > >> well on the built in Bluetooth on the Dell I have. The new models
    > >> apparently are a lot easier on batteries. MS do supply a USB

    Bluethooth
    > >> transceiver but I've never used it. I have read of people using them

    on
    > >> other PC's for other hardware OK. The logitech model at the time used

    > >> USB transceiver that also doubled up as the charger for the mouse. The
    > >> MS mouse uses batteries.

    > > Yes its called the Microsoft® Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth
    > >
    > > Make sure to get the 2nd generation model (you can tell as the keyboard
    > > has a scroll wheel on the left hand side as on

    http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...ovr&pcid=76e91501-ff1c-44cf-947f-003f3fe25a8c )
    > > which has much better battery life than the original one available last
    > > year

    > Or, wait for generation 3, it has even better battery life.

    Yep, but I expect gen 4 will be better. Best wait for that.

    ;-)
    JohnO, Dec 10, 2004
  6. Ron McNulty

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >>> I've just replaced my 7 year old laptop, and the new one has I/R,
    >>> Bluetooth
    >>> and WiFi. I'm looking for a standard size wireless keyboard and mouse
    >>> for
    >>> desktop use. But everything I have found so far uses a separate
    >>> receiver and
    >>> takes up a USB port.
    >>>
    >>> With all those wireless technologies built in, surely there is a
    >>> keyboard
    >>> and mouse that will chat directly to the PC. (Found one for a MAC,
    >>> but this
    >>> is a PC running XP Pro)
    >>>

    >> I have the (older model) Microsoft Bluetooth K/B and Mouse which work
    >> well on the built in Bluetooth on the Dell I have. The new models
    >> apparently are a lot easier on batteries. MS do supply a USB
    >> Bluethooth transceiver but I've never used it. I have read of people
    >> using them on other PC's for other hardware OK. The logitech model at
    >> the time used a USB transceiver that also doubled up as the charger
    >> for the mouse. The MS mouse uses batteries.

    > Yes its called the Microsoft® Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth
    >
    > Make sure to get the 2nd generation model (you can tell as the keyboard
    > has a scroll wheel on the left hand side as on
    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...ovr&pcid=76e91501-ff1c-44cf-947f-003f3fe25a8c
    > ) which has much better battery life than the original one available
    > last year

    Actually I bought mine in August this year. When did the new ones come
    out ? and do the new K/B's have a better battery compartment - The
    batteries in mine would fall out if it wasn't for the cover - i.e.
    theres no "spring" in the spring, they probably arn't even making proper
    contact. But apart from that, nice product

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 10, 2004
  7. Ron McNulty

    JohnO Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > >> I have the (older model) Microsoft Bluetooth K/B and Mouse which work
    > >> well on the built in Bluetooth on the Dell I have. The new models
    > >> apparently are a lot easier on batteries. MS do supply a USB
    > >> Bluethooth transceiver but I've never used it. I have read of people
    > >> using them on other PC's for other hardware OK. The logitech model at
    > >> the time used a USB transceiver that also doubled up as the charger
    > >> for the mouse. The MS mouse uses batteries.

    > > Yes its called the Microsoft® Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth
    > >
    > > Make sure to get the 2nd generation model (you can tell as the keyboard
    > > has a scroll wheel on the left hand side as on

    http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...ovr&pcid=76e91501-ff1c-44cf-947f-003f3fe25a8c
    > > ) which has much better battery life than the original one available
    > > last year

    > Actually I bought mine in August this year. When did the new ones come
    > out ? and do the new K/B's have a better battery compartment - The
    > batteries in mine would fall out if it wasn't for the cover - i.e.
    > theres no "spring" in the spring, they probably arn't even making proper
    > contact. But apart from that, nice product

    Do you find there's much lag on the keyboard when it wakes up from idle
    state?
    JohnO, Dec 10, 2004
  8. Ron McNulty

    Mercury Guest

    None here & the batteries last months. Ditto for the mouse.

    Mercury, Dec 10, 2004
  9. Chris Mayhew wrote:

    >>> I have the (older model) Microsoft Bluetooth K/B and Mouse which work
    >>> well on the built in Bluetooth on the Dell I have. The new models
    >>> apparently are a lot easier on batteries. MS do supply a USB
    >>> Bluethooth transceiver but I've never used it. I have read of people
    >>> using them on other PC's for other hardware OK. The logitech model
    >>> at the time used a USB transceiver that also doubled up as the
    >>> charger for the mouse. The MS mouse uses batteries.

    >> Yes its called the Microsoft® Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth
    >>
    >> Make sure to get the 2nd generation model (you can tell as the
    >> keyboard has a scroll wheel on the left hand side as on
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...ovr&pcid=76e91501-ff1c-44cf-947f-003f3fe25a8c
    >> ) which has much better battery life than the original one available
    >> last year

    > Actually I bought mine in August this year. When did the new ones come
    > out ? and do the new K/B's have a better battery compartment - The
    > batteries in mine would fall out if it wasn't for the cover - i.e.
    > theres no "spring" in the spring, they probably arn't even making proper
    > contact. But apart from that, nice product

    They released in NZ sometime in November. I can't really notice the
    difference on the battery compartments, mine stay in and haven't fallen
    out. Damn that gravity.
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 10, 2004
  10. Ron McNulty

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>>Yes its called the Microsoft® Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth
    >>>
    >>>Make sure to get the 2nd generation model (you can tell as the keyboard
    >>>has a scroll wheel on the left hand side as on
    >>>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...ovr&pcid=76e91501-ff1c-44cf-947f-003f3fe25a8c
    >
    >>> ) which has much better battery life than the original one available
    >>>last year

    >>Actually I bought mine in August this year. When did the new ones come
    >>out ? and do the new K/B's have a better battery compartment - The
    >>batteries in mine would fall out if it wasn't for the cover - i.e.
    >>theres no "spring" in the spring, they probably arn't even making proper
    >>contact. But apart from that, nice product
    >>

    > Do you find there's much lag on the keyboard when it wakes up from idle
    > state?

    Sometimes, depending on how long it's been idle. The letters just
    suddenly appear so none are lost but I find that if a letter is a
    capital, then the letter that follows it is also. I have the old
    version though. Batteries last about 6 to 8 weeks on the K/B and 4 -5
    weeks on the mouse. They have fairly constant use through out the day.

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 12, 2004