    So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
    point only? How do I go about doing that?

    Thanks!

    Spare, May 5, 2007

  2. "Spare" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
    > it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
    > is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
    > in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
    > lower).
    >
    > So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
    > point only? How do I go about doing that?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Yes you can... In general terms you want to...

    1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
    2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same range
    as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses 192.168.1.X
    then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar. Make sure the
    IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link DHCP server.
    3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
    straight cable.

    You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I use
    has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin pages.
    I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], May 5, 2007

  3. "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Spare" <> wrote in message
    >> My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
    >> it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
    >> is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
    >> in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
    >> lower).
    >>
    >> So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
    >> point only? How do I go about doing that?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Yes you can... In general terms you want to...
    >
    > 1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
    > 2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same
    > range as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses
    > 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
    > Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
    > DHCP server.
    > 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
    > straight cable.
    >
    > You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
    > use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
    > pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

    If your router is the F5D8230-4 look at page 54 in the manual that you can
    download from Belkin if you don't have a copy on CD...

    http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/P74304-C_F5D8230-4_man.pdf

    Sooner Al [MVP], May 5, 2007
  4. Hi
    Just a Cable remark.
    If the ports on either one of the Routers is MDX, then a Straight cable
    would work, Otherwise LAN to LAN port needs Crossover cable.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 5, 2007
  5. "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> "Spare" <> wrote in message
    >>> My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
    >>> it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
    >>> is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
    >>> in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
    >>> lower).
    >>>
    >>> So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
    >>> point only? How do I go about doing that?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> Yes you can... In general terms you want to...
    >>
    >> 1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
    >> 2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same
    >> range as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses
    >> 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
    >> Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
    >> DHCP server.
    >> 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
    >> straight cable.
    >>
    >> You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
    >> use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
    >> pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>
    >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    >> mutual benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    > If your router is the F5D8230-4 look at page 54 in the manual that you can
    > download from Belkin if you don't have a copy on CD...
    >
    > http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/P74304-C_F5D8230-4_man.pdf
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

    One last thing...

    You should turn off the D-Link WiFi radio so as not to interfere with the
    Belkin. What model D-Link is it?

    Sooner Al [MVP], May 5, 2007
  6. Spare

    Spare Guest

    Re: Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

    On May 5, 12:55 pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]" <>
    wrote:
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Spare" <> wrote in message

    > >> Yes you can... In general terms you want to...

    > >> 1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
    > >> 2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same
    > >> range as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses
    > >> 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
    > >> Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
    > >> DHCP server.
    > >> 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
    > >> straight cable.

    > >> You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
    > >> use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
    > >> pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...

    > >> --

    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    > >> mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> rights...

    > > If your router is the F5D8230-4 look at page 54 in the manual that you can
    > > download from Belkin if you don't have a copy on CD...

    > >http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/P74304-C_F5D8230-4_man.pdf

    > > --

    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    > > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...

    > One last thing...
    >
    > You should turn off the D-Link WiFi radio so as not to interfere with the
    > Belkin. What model D-Link is it?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > rights...- Hide quoted text -

    This is a D-Link DI-624 that came with my Verizon Fios, but I
    understand that the firmware was customized a bit, so no flashing
    allowed. My Belkin is indeed the F5D8230-4. Thanks a ton for
    helping me understand this, I will attempt to configure this later
    today, and I will let you know how this goes.

    Spare, May 5, 2007
  7. Re: Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

    "Spare" <> wrote in message

    > This is a D-Link DI-624 that came with my Verizon Fios, but I
    > understand that the firmware was customized a bit, so no flashing
    > allowed. My Belkin is indeed the F5D8230-4. Thanks a ton for
    > helping me understand this, I will attempt to configure this later
    > today, and I will let you know how this goes.

    There is no flashing required. Just figure out how to turn off the D-Link
    WiFi radio so it will not interfere with the Belkin. Check the users
    manual...

    Sooner Al [MVP], May 5, 2007