Wireless is all set, wired not working

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Alex, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hello!

    I have two computers (Windows XP) which used to be connected via a
    wired router (regular Ethernet cards) to the internet. I had to move
    computers from the ISP outlet, and had to resort to setting up a
    wireless network.

    I have set up a wireless network with a Linksys WRT54GL router and two
    computers (sitting next to each other), both using individual wireless
    USB adapters. Since I routinely move files (and large ones as well)
    between the two, it would be beneficial to continue using Ethernet
    carts and maintain a wired connection for local interactions, and have
    wireless USB for internet access.

    I connected the two computers via a LinkSys 5-port workgroup hub
    (EFAH05W). The set-up is as follows, then:
    1. Wireless network:
    2 static IPs
    Router serves as gateway/DNS server
    Subnet mask is the same (255.255.255.0)

    2. Wired Local Area network:
    Tried different options (static IP, dynamic IP - assigned by the
    router, etc.)
    As soon as wired becomes active, both computers lose internet
    connectivity...

    What can be done to get them to connect with each other through WIRED,
    and go to the internet WIRELESS?

    Thank you in advance!!!
    Alex, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Alex

    David Hettel Guest

    You need to set metrics on both the wired and wireless card. The wired cards
    will need a static IP address, in a different IP address range than the
    wireless cards (Wireless IP address 192.168.1.xxx and wired 192.168.3.xxx
    with both using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) see Jack's,
    http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html for help on the metrics

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Jan 26, 2007

  3. hello alex I have a problem with my wireless I am trying to get a computer to
    pick up a single from the router but it won't I have downloaded the pci
    adapter in the computer but it won't pick up.

    =?Utf-8?B?c2NvdHQ=?=, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Alex

    Alex Guest

    David,

    Thank you for the suggestion. It worked - though, temporarily.
    I set up the static IPs as you suggested, 192.168.1.xxx for the
    wireless, 192.168.3.yyy for the wired.
    Defined the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on all 4 addresses. Set the
    metrics to 20 on wired, 30 on wireless.
    I could see in the Task Manager (Networking tab) that computers were
    communicating via the wired.

    I started having intermittent internet connectivity issues, though -
    something that did not happen when the hub was not in the picture.
    Until, eventually, computers would just refuse to go out to the web
    (same symptoms on both). Disconnecting and reconnecting from/to the
    wireless network did not help. Turning the hub off always does...

    Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance!

    Alex, Jan 27, 2007
  5. Alex

    David Hettel Guest

    I've never tried this myself, personally I'd have used dynamic IP on the
    wireless, and static on the wired. Are you defining anything else for the
    wired in your static setup beside default IP address and subnet mask? It's
    possible if you go into the advance properties for you wired adapters and on
    the Wins tab enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP that it *might* help. Jack, Sooner
    Al, Lem do you guys have any thoughts? Thanks

    David Hettel, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Hi
    Make two independent Networks and Put the Wire connection on its own subnet.
    I.e. if the Wireless is on 191.168.1.x put the wire on it own with static
    191.168.2.x
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 27, 2007
  7. Alex

    Lem Guest

    David Hettel wrote:
    > I've never tried this myself, personally I'd have used dynamic IP on the
    > wireless, and static on the wired. Are you defining anything else for
    > the wired in your static setup beside default IP address and subnet
    > mask? It's possible if you go into the advance properties for you wired
    > adapters and on the Wins tab enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP that it *might*
    > help. Jack, Sooner Al, Lem do you guys have any thoughts? Thanks

    This goes beyond my experience with networks, but I don't think metrics
    are the answer to the OP's issue. As I understand metrics, they
    represent the cost associated with using a particular network route.
    Thus, given the choice of two routes to the same destination (e.g., a
    wireless connection to the Internet gateway and a wired connection to
    the Internet gateway), the route with the lowest metric is the one
    that's used.

    I've seen setting metrics suggested as a way to force the use of a wired
    connection instead of a wireless connection when both are active.

    OTOH, I don't think you can force a particular app (e.g., Windows
    Explorer) to use a particular network connection.

    OTOH, again, it seems to me as if the route to a particular IP is only
    available over one NIC, a connection to that IP should go over that
    route. As I said, however, this is beyond my knowledge of how networks
    operate.

    As to the intermittent operation, check the topology of the network
    carefully. Is the hub connected to anything other than the NICs in the
    two computers? Were you careful not to use the hub's uplink port?

    I've cross-posted this to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web because
    there are folks who spend more time there than here who know more about
    networking.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 27, 2007
  8. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Thank you all for your recommendations.
    It turned out to be a combination of faulty router (replaced via RMA)
    and configuration...

    The final set up worked fine as follows (for the other interested
    parties):

    1. Set up hard IPs for both wireless (192.168.1.xxx) and wired
    (192.168.3.xxx) connections. Subnet mask is the same: 255.255.255.0
    2. Default gateway and DNS server on the wireless is the router's IP
    3. Interface and gateway metric on the wireless is 30 (any number
    higher than the wired)
    4. Interface metric on the wired is 20
    5. File and printer sharing is turned on, on the wired only (on
    wirless it is checked off)
    6. Not sure whether this is needed, but in the advanced network
    settings, wired has higher priority than wireless.

    .... and magically, it is all working :))

    Thank you all, again!!!
    Alex, Feb 25, 2007