    cisco.com seems very sparse on the subject of the 880 series.
    --
    Clive

    Clive Carmock, Mar 5, 2009

  2. Clive Carmock

    Galerio Guest

    Clive Carmock ha detto questo giovedì :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wonder if anyone can point me to a document detailing how to upgrade the
    > IOS of the Integrated wireless AP in a Cisco 881W please?
    >
    > cisco.com seems very sparse on the subject of the 880 series.

    you can use the software Cisco Configuration Assistant: it can upgrade
    your 881W in a few clicks.

    Otherwise from CLI:

    #dir
    (and look at what files you have in your flash).
    #delete flash:/the-name-of-old-IOS-discovered-with-dir-command
    #copy tftp flash

    that's all. Obviously you need a TFTP server activ on your local
    machine (you can find many freeware small tftp server) and put in root
    dir of tftp ONLY the ios you want to copy onto router.

    If it doesn't work, you can also do the same operation with an FTP
    server with the command
    #copy ftp://10.10.10.5/name-of-your-new-ios-on-ftp-server
    (use the right ip address instead of the one in the example).

    --
    Contest(abile) !!!! Partecipate numerosi!!
    http://www.1e2.it/contest-abile

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/galerio/
    ogni commento e critica son graditi!!!
    Iscriviti anche tu al gruppo Facebook di
    appassionati di fotografia digitale:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=28645424291

    Galerio, Mar 6, 2009

  3. In message <49b0c854$0$6825$>, Galerio
    <> writes
    >Otherwise from CLI:
    >
    >#dir

    OK - the main IOS was straightforward in fact can be copied from USB
    flash. However the integrated AP - do I load the file as it is on
    cisco.com ie in tar format?

    Clive Carmock, Mar 6, 2009
  4. Clive Carmock

    bod43 Guest

    On 6 Mar, 23:03, Clive Carmock <> wrote:
    > In message <49b0c854$0$6825$>, Galerio
    > <> writes
    >
    > >Otherwise from CLI:

    > >#dir

    > OK - the main IOS was straightforward in fact can be copied from USB
    > flash. However the integrated AP - do I load the file as it is on
    > cisco.com ie in tar format?

    I have no 88x experience but Cisco do try to be
    consistent across platforms.

    Normally you use the archive upgrade command for
    tar files.

    The software may be stored on the wireless
    module or possibly on the main flash. Have a look.

    There is a command to connect to the wireless module
    console.

    service-module wlan-ap 0 session

    See:-
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/rou...80-890/software/configuration/guide/wlan.html

    I would imagine that from there you might be able to
    do the upgrade.
    Check for a flash and see whats on it.

    sh flash

    **NOTE**

    Closing the Session
    To close the session between the wireless device and the router's
    console, perform both of the following steps.

    Wireless Device

    1. Control-Shift-6 x
    [that's Control and Shift held down, press and release "6",
    release all keys, then press "x"] - obviously :)

    Router

    2. disconnect
    [ that's - issue the disconnect command] - obviously :)
    3. Press Enter twice.

    One thing to be concerned about is that I noticed
    references to software activation. This has previousy been
    absent on cisco routers so it is possible that you could
    get into trouble with that.

    As you say, documentation seems sparse.

    Usually the tar package contains the image
    and the web based mananement tools.

    Looks like the wirelss module needs its own IP address.

    Check the boot path too.
    sh boot

    There are instructions in the above referenced document
    on converting from "autonomous AP mode" to
    "Unified Access Point mode". The former is a normal
    AP and the latter gets its image and configuration from
    a certralised Wireless LAN Controller.

    It all seems quite complex and there seems a decent
    chance of breaking the device without the
    correct instructions.

    Hope the above makes at least some sense.

    bod43, Mar 6, 2009
  5. Clive Carmock

    Andrey Guest

    replying to Clive Carmock , Andrey wrote:
    > clive wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wonder if anyone can point me to a document detailing how to upgrade
    > the IOS of the Integrated wireless AP in a Cisco 881W please?
    >
    > cisco.com seems very sparse on the subject of the 880 series.

    Hi Clive,

    I know its being a while since you asked your question but I have same problem
    with 881w AP
    I am struggling to upgrade my AP IOS so I was wandering if you managed to
    upgrade yours and if so would mind helping me please,
    Thanks a lot
    Andrey

    --
    posted vi