wireless internet card

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bWM=?=, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. how do I know if my laptop came with a wireless internet card?
    =?Utf-8?B?bWM=?=, Dec 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWM=?=

    BobC Guest

    On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:27:02 -0800, mc wrote:

    > how do I know if my laptop came with a wireless internet card?

    Read the manual. Go to control panel > system > hardware > device manger.
    Depending on the manufacturor and model, look for the configuration
    application under programs.
    BobC, Dec 23, 2005

  3. under network adaptors it lists " instant wireless USB network adapter ver.
    2.6#2" and "realtek RTL8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC". does that mean I
    have the wireless internet already installed or that it just has
    capabilities? thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?bWM=?=, Dec 23, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWM=?=

    Lem Guest

    mc wrote:

    > under network adaptors it lists " instant wireless USB network adapter ver.
    > 2.6#2" and "realtek RTL8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC". does that mean I
    > have the wireless internet already installed or that it just has
    > capabilities? thanks!
    >
    > "BobC" wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:27:02 -0800, mc wrote:
    > >
    > > > how do I know if my laptop came with a wireless internet card?

    > > Read the manual. Go to control panel > system > hardware > device manger.
    > > Depending on the manufacturor and model, look for the configuration
    > > application under programs.

    You're really better off reading the printed documentation that came with your
    laptop. The Realtek device is the wired ethernet interface. The other entry
    appears to refer to a Linksys WUSB11 wireless network adapter. This is a
    little blue box with an antenna that connects via a USB cable, and typically
    would NOT come with a new laptop. In any event, you'd know if if had one. It
    looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/c9gow

    If you really don't want to read, start your laptop and take a look at the
    "notification area" next to the time display in the lower right corner. If you
    see an icon of a little computer with three curvy lines next to it, you have a
    wireless adapter in your computer (see http://tinyurl.com/aq8tk for a picture --
    it's the one with a red x in the picture, but yours won't have the x).
    Lem, Dec 23, 2005