Wireless Internet and File and Printer Sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RSW, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. RSW

    RSW Guest

    Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
    sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP

    MY EQUIPMENT:

    Router Netgear MR815 v2
    Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
    NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
    PC WinXP
    Laptop Win98 SE

    MY NEW CONFIGURATION:

    PC hardwired to router
    Laptop wireless to router
    Router hardwired to wideband equipment
    PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router

    MY PROBLEM:

    Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
    wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
    Laptop connecting

    seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
    configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
    dialup networking performance

    was poor and to be expected.

    After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
    internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
    have tried several

    suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
    I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
    Internet

    sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
    connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
    order for my laptop to

    connect to the internet.

    SOLUTION REQUIRED:

    I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
    my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
    Laptop. I am

    starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
    router and my widband equipment.

    Any help would be appreciated
    RSW

    RSW, Nov 24, 2004

  2. RSW

    Gary R. Guest

    Somebody has given you some bad info; you certainly don't need a second
    router, nor do you need to enable Internet Connection Sharing...in fact,
    make sure it's disabled.

    Make sure the XP PC firewall is set to allow exceptions (control panel,
    security).

    I'm sure someone here will come up with a link for troubleshooting and
    basics, but in the meantime, what do you mean you "can't enable" file and
    printer sharing? What happens if you try? Does it just not work?

    First, make sure the computers all have unique names (right click My
    Computer, choose properties, Computer Name tab, make sure the computer name
    is different than the other one, or change it. The easiest way for file
    sharing may be to go into 'My Network Places' in XP and run the wizard (set
    up a home or small office network link). Make sure the workgroup name is
    the same on all, and you tell it that you want to share files and printers.
    Then have it, at the end, make a network setup disk for the 98 machine (or
    use the XP CD if you don't have a floppy in the laptop).Then open Windows
    explorer, right click the drives or folders you want to share, and choose
    the 'sharing' item.

    Gary

    Gary R., Nov 25, 2004

  3. I know this is a stupid question, but I would like to post a question. How do
    I do that?

    =?Utf-8?B?TS4gTWljaGFlbCBNZXllcg==?=, Nov 25, 2004
  4. RSW

    RSW Guest

    "Gary R." <> wrote in message news:<u#>...
    > Somebody has given you some bad info; you certainly don't need a second
    > router, nor do you need to enable Internet Connection Sharing...in fact,
    > make sure it's disabled.
    >
    > Make sure the XP PC firewall is set to allow exceptions (control panel,
    > security). NOT RUNNING XP FIREWALL
    >
    > I'm sure someone here will come up with a link for troubleshooting and
    > basics, but in the meantime, what do you mean you "can't enable" file and
    > printer sharing? What happens if you try? Does it just not work?

    SORRY I CAN ENABLE FILE AND PRINT SHARING IT JUST DOES NOT WORK

    > First, make sure the computers all have unique names (right click My
    > Computer, choose properties, Computer Name tab, make sure the computer name
    > is different than the other one, or change it.

    SAME WORKGROUP NAME. UNIQUE COMPUTER NAMES, USERNAMES, AND
    PASSWORDS
    The easiest way for file
    > sharing may be to go into 'My Network Places' in XP and run the wizard (set
    > up a home or small office network link).

    Make sure the workgroup name is
    > the same on all, and you tell it that you want to share files and printers.
    > Then have it, at the end, make a network setup disk for the 98 machine

    WHY DO I NEED A NETWORK SETUP DISK?
    (or
    > use the XP CD if you don't have a floppy in the laptop).Then open Windows
    > explorer, right click the drives or folders you want to share, and choose
    > the 'sharing' item.

    I HAVE DONE THAT

    Sorry for using the CAPS I am not yelling at you, just wanted to
    hi-light my response
    RSW

    RSW, Nov 25, 2004
  5. I am having the same problem. I've searched these forums and it seems others
    are having them as well. I tried many things. All of my conditions are the
    same (ie unique names, firewalls disabled etc) still nothing.

    Strange thing though, when I first set the network up, it worked! I saw all
    the files and shared printer. Then the file sharing was lost-but the printer
    worked. Strange. Now I've somehow excluded the printer and nothing works.

    Your help is appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?TVJBaGhhaGE=?=, Nov 25, 2004
  6. RSW

    Gary R. Guest

    >>WHY DO I NEED A NETWORK SETUP DISK?

    The network setup disk just helps make sure the needed things are installed
    and configured for the network; it's not a necessity, just insurance and
    sometimes catches something you missed. For ME or XP with the connection
    wizard, it's pretty unimportant, but for 98 or 95 can help quite a bit.

    If the laptop has a wired ethernet connector, I'd suggest connecting the
    entire network as a wired network to begin with (temporarily). If you get
    it working as a wired network, you have fewer possibilities to deal with if
    the wireless doesn't work (you know where to look).

    If it doesn't work wired, you might take the router out of the picture, and
    connect the two computers with a crossover cable or through a normal hub or
    switch if you have one. I've seen some routers that are cantankerous to
    configure, causing problems with sharing, so if you have a setup program for
    the router, try that and follow it exactly.

    If they can't see each other through a normal hub or crossover, another
    machine that networks easily (Winxp or ME with no firewall) could be added
    to the network and maybe tell you which of the machines isn't responding
    correctly.

    One thing that comes to mind it that the Win98 machine could have had file
    and printer sharing disabled for the tcp/ip connection to the network, which
    you could check through the network neighborhood, the tcp/ip-network adapter
    properties. This was a security measure done semi-automatically by the
    security check, but if you're using that connection for the router, would
    cause a sharing problem. If the Win98 has IPX protocol installed, you
    should probably remove it, just to simplify things, and it's really of no
    use.

    If you get them communicating on the wired system, hook them both back wired
    to the router and see if they still work. If so, next step would be
    wireless for the laptop. This will at least narrow down where to look for
    problems.

    Gary

    Gary R., Nov 25, 2004
  7. RSW

    RSW Guest

    "M. Michael Meyer" <mm0102(remove this)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I know this is a stupid question, but I would like to post a question. How do
    > I do that?
    >
    > "RSW" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print
    > > sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP
    > >
    > > MY EQUIPMENT:
    > >
    > > Router Netgear MR815 v2
    > > Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521
    > > NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC
    > > PC WinXP
    > > Laptop Win98 SE
    > >
    > > MY NEW CONFIGURATION:
    > >
    > > PC hardwired to router
    > > Laptop wireless to router
    > > Router hardwired to wideband equipment
    > > PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router
    > >
    > > MY PROBLEM:
    > >
    > > Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160
    > > wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and
    > > Laptop connecting
    > >
    > > seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old
    > > configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except
    > > dialup networking performance
    > >
    > > was poor and to be expected.
    > >
    > > After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the
    > > internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I
    > > have tried several
    > >
    > > suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success.
    > > I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use
    > > Internet
    > >
    > > sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet
    > > connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in
    > > order for my laptop to
    > >
    > > connect to the internet.
    > >
    > > SOLUTION REQUIRED:
    > >
    > > I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught
    > > my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and
    > > Laptop. I am
    > >
    > > starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless
    > > router and my widband equipment.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated
    > > RSW

    I have solved the problem!!!!!

    Many thanx to all who have responded to my question.

    THE SOLUTION I USED

    I Installed NETBEUI on both my Win98 laptop and my WinXP desktop,
    bound File and print sharing under NETBEUI Unbound File and Print
    Sharing from TPC/IP,
    and it worked. I found the instructions
    @http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html. as mentioned in a reply to my
    question. I had security concerns about using NETEUI but my fears
    were eased by reading http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html.
    The ezlan site http://www.ezlan.net/ is an excellent resource.

    My thanx to the owner.

    R.S.Walker